Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Newest acquisition: Nazareth - the Newz (2008)

Pretty nice actually. Nice raw scottish rock. Meanwhile, Dan McCafferty retired from the band. His health condition had not let him perform anymore.

Saw them several times around that year. I remember them announcing a new recording in the making. 

• Like 1

On 2017-08-18 at 6:56 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Dan McCafferty has done some singing appearances since leaving Nazareth which makes me wish he could do a show with them every now and then.  His touring days are over. 

No, they are not.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:27 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

The "BOOGIE MAN"..................................

I have this recording and the Clapton box set of 1987. Interesting to play the Hooker and Yardbirds versions back-to-back. I think Hooker has a slight edge conveying that sense of menace.

• Like 1

I've been playing the shit out of this new Derrick Anderson disc!

• Like 4

On 9/9/2017 at 3:05 PM, JohnnyB said:

I have this recording and the Clapton box set of 1987. Interesting to play the Hooker and Yardbirds versions back-to-back. I think Hooker has a slight edge conveying that sense of menace.

Not even close.  JLH version is nasty pillow talk.   I don't even know what's going on with YB version.  I can't connect with that at all.  YMMV.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

Not even close.  JLH version is nasty pillow talk.   I don't even know what's going on with YB version.  I can't connect with that at all.  YMMV.

I was engaging in a ridiculous level of understatement.

I was playing these two versions for my daughter when she was about 11 and had been taking guitar lessons a couple of years. I was (and am) a big fan of JLH, who made the Yardbirds sound like pasty-face wannabes.

So after playing the JLH version, I introduced the Yardbirds to her by saying they were young British urban guys, and that Clapton, Jeff Beck, add Jimmy Page had all played in the band at one time or another as they eventually morphed into Led Zeppelin.

Then I started up the Yardbirds' version of "Boom-Boom." Within seconds, my daughter simply said, "Dad, they suck!"

No argument here.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...