Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

On 7/29/2018 at 10:05 PM, Punkavenger said:

I'm not into todays pop or rap ... In fact I hate it. But this is sooo good. R&B, Soul, Rock, Jazz ... high quality well engineered double album (that has more cuts than the CD) all 4 sides are great.  Killer phat with a PH bass.  Echos of Prince and Michael Jackson. Twenty sometin' bucks from Amazon.com. I cant stop listening to it. BUY IT. 

Janelle is bad ass. I love the Electric Lady album. Have it on vinyl. Girl's got talent and kick ass songs.

I'm just getting in to her latest album, Dirty Computer. The lyrics are pretty naughty. And that is a good thing in this case. Haha. So far I've only listened on Spotify. But it seems good enough to buy. Might wait until the vinyl comes out in September.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 3:28 PM, Michael_B said:

I've heard lots of covers of this tune, and never a bad one.  Moments ago, I heard Roger Creager cover it.  It's an indestructable classic.

I learned how to change chords better by practicing this song.  Not that I can remember how it goes now...  But a great song and album.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 4:05 PM, Punkavenger said:

I'm not into todays pop or rap ... In fact I hate it. But this is sooo good. R&B, Soul, Rock, Jazz ... high quality well engineered double album (that has more cuts than the CD) all 4 sides are great.  Killer phat with a PH bass.  Echos of Prince and Michael Jackson. Twenty sometin' bucks from Amazon.com. I cant stop listening to it. BUY IT. 

Thanks for this.  So much of finding new music is a recommendation like this. 

I downloaded one of her albums and was streaming in while shooting pool, really digging it, when Mrs. Toadroller asked just who I was listening to.  I started to explain the "What's Spinnin'" thread and how this came up and...

"No.  Who is it?"

"Oh, the name is Janelle Monae.  Do you know her?"

"Yeah- she was in that video by Fun.  Their producer is in that other band, and he produced some Taylor, and he did Lorde's most recent album and..."

...and I'm definitely not hip to the current music scene, despite having three of the six young Toadrollers in the teenage phase.

Enjoy some Fun, featuring Janelle Monae.  The video is a hoot, too.

Edited by Toadroller
  • Like 1

Late Alex Wiska made great job rocking the Turkish Saz. His live album had been a party stable in our area at the time. Just bought an old studio album the other day. It’s timeless!

• Like 1