Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

10 hours ago, Menehune said:

Wow. Early AM radio promo?

It's actually an official limited release that happened a couple of years ago. I love RAM so I had to have it. I haven't played it back to back with the stereo version but it does sound very good. 

On 4/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, pirateflynn said:

It's actually an official limited release that happened a couple of years ago. I love RAM so I had to have it. I haven't played it back to back with the stereo version but it does sound very good. 

I don't have the mono pressing of RAM, but I have the September 2014 mono reissues of the Beatles EMI/Parlophone albums. They are quite a revelation and have spoiled me  compared to the stereo Capitol pressings we're all used to. The Mono remasters are richer, fuller, and have a powerful "in-the-room" presence. The cartridge stylus doesn't have to work as hard to extract the music as a stereo cartridge would.

Edited by JohnnyB

On 3/27/2019 at 11:02 PM, RobB said:

Cheap Trick: "Found All The Parts", EP plus, "Everything Works if You Let It", 45 from "Roadie" soundtrack

Hey, I used-ta have that EP!  Things disappear through the years.  I must have lost a box of albums in a move.

Everything Works if You Let It is another great CT soundtrack song, up there with Reach Out and I Must be Dreamin' from the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

• Like 1

EAD8933C-E438-40DB-A9CD-281581797B46.jpeg

Happy RSD (Record Store Day) 2019!

Top row:

Louis Armstrong: “Disney Songs the Satchmo Way”, LP

Lightning Hopkins: “Strums the Blues”, LP.

VA: “Stax Does the Beatles”, 2LP

James Brown: “Sho is Funky Down Here”, LP

Albert King: “Born Under a Bad Sign”, Mono LP

Bottom Row:

Motorhead: “Rockaway Beach”/“R.A.M.O.N.E.S.” 45,

p“Overkill/Bomber” 45  

Wes Montgomery: “Back On Indiana Ave”, 2LP

The Blasters: “Dark Night Live 1983”, 2LP

Badfinger: “So Fine-The Warner Brothers Rarities”, 2LP

Cheap Trick: “Epic Archives Vol. 3”, 2LP  

Humble Pie: Official Bootleg Collection Vol. 1”, 2LP

Lone Justice: “Live at the Palomino 1983” LP

Edited by RobB
  • Like 4

In the aftermath of a crippling snowstorm this past February, I bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. Later I noticed that it had a CD slot in the radio panel, so I gathered up a couple handfuls of big band CDs from the house and started playing them when I'm running errands in the Jeep.

Today I was having a lot of fun with Buddy Rich's "Big Swing Face," a live album of new charts generated for his newly formed band in 1966, a scant 53 years ago (but then, so is Revolver).

One of my favorite cuts (and it's legendary among BR fans) is this rendition of Cole Porter's "Love for Sale." Pay attention to the break at 3:54 for the blistering single stroke roll that kicks off the final chorus. The crowd always went nuts when he did that.

Edited by JohnnyB
Make the wording gooder.
  • Like 1

A couple of tracks from a CD, Ray Sings, Basie Swings, that I've been playing when I'm driving.

According to the Wikipedia entry for this recording:

"Ray Sings, Basie Swings" is a posthumous album that mixes previously unreleased Ray Charles vocal performances, recorded at live concerts in the mid-1970s, with newly recorded instrumental tracks by the contemporary Count Basie Orchestra.

Quincy Jones did the arranging and conducting. Probably no one knew Basie's tempos and orchestrations like Quincy. He had joined Basie's band in mid-tour when he was 15!

Drummer Butch Miles was Basie's drummer for several years, and also makes this album worth a listen.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2

Queen The Miracle rediscovered the other day, CD spinning in the car for about two weeks now.

What's been the LP backside really has it, very classic Queen with lots of Deacy amp sounds to hear. Really love it. Tend to rewind from #7 or #8 til end.

Title signaled what came aware shortly before the show had to go on.

just ordered the original LP as I went for the CD at the time.

Edited by gorch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...