Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

I first acquired this recording as a CD around 1996 when I was auditioning some speakers. It's Canadian vocalist extraordinaire putting her take on a large clutch of Tom Waits songs. It's a particularly fortuitous combination.

A week ago I was in the house solo, cleaning up the kitchen. I thought I'd play this. I was delighted to rediscover that I had a state-of-the-art remaster/repress dual LP album pressed on 200g (.44 lb) vinyl. 

Her performances, the engineering, and the remastering are breathtaking, especially through my Magnepan panel speakers.

... and Tom Waits' "Jersey Girl

This album showed me that Tom Waits is a latter-day Bob Dylan, a great writer of captivating songs presented by a rough, gruff voice. 

In the hands (and voice) of Holly Cole the artistic aspects of the songs reach their full potential.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

Here is a LP your not going to hear everyday....................or buy I saw one for sale...................... at $700.00! 

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

3 hours ago, alantig said:

spacer.png

I remember California Jam well. I didn't go to it, but I was living in the LA area and knew about it. Best of all, local TV filmed it all and broadcast the musical acts. I saw all those great acts. I had just read about Carl Palmer in a Buddy Rich interview and I was able to see how he played (very impressive!) I saw Keith Emerson do that levitating grand piano with the in-air somersaults, knowing I had seen Steve Allen do the same thing 15 years earlier on "I've Got a Secret." I saw The Eagles, with Don Henley pounding out a really good beat while they all harmonized the melody and chorus of "James Dean." I heard Black Oak Arkansas perform "Hot 'n' Nasty," which sounded as decadent as its title suggests. 

All my memories are from watching it on a 14" black 'n' white TV, which should give you an idea of the impact of the live performances. A great music festival!

• Like 1

Just finished reading the Van Halen Noel monk book and the Van Halen rising book.    I kind of skipped over vh back in day.   Went from Aerosmith straight to priest and maiden         Reading the book really gave me a new appreciation even if the were totally dysfunctional.    So I snagged fair warning at my local used cd store.  It was friggin delightful.  Going to get the others 

• Like 1

The Jean-Luc Ponty YouTube inspired me to retrieve a live cut in San Francisco by the "grandfather of jazz violin," Stephane Grappelli. He was around 77 when he played this, as he was also on my "Live in San Francisco" album:

• Like 2

Had some unused coupons for Amoeba Music...went a little apeshit today:

IMG_0981.JPG

Sundazed RI, white vinyl.

IMG_0983.JPG

WB/Rhino RI with 2nd lp a 1973 KSAN radio broadcast from the Record Plant, Sausalito.

IMG_0984.JPG

Original pressing with inner picture sleeve.

IMG_0986.JPG

Island Records limited RI (500 copies), clear vinyl. 

IMG_0987.JPG

Original Polydor (USA) pressing.

IMG_0988.JPG

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME live Ronnie Lane. Island Records pressing for RSD (U.K. only, PINK vinyl!!!).

Edited by RobB
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, Steve Haynie said:

I will be seeing these people on Saturday. 

I was pretty sure that The Cowsills were the inspiration for The Partridge Family TV show, but I didn't know about this little detail:

Originally, the show was to star the real-life musical family The Cowsills. However, they backed out when the producers decided to have Shirley Jones take over the role of the mother from the group's actual matriarch, Barbara Cowsill.

The studio suits wasted no time making a show based on the Cowsills. "Hair" charted in 1969 and the TV show premiered in 1970.

Edited by JohnnyB

Other than my Bonham/Page distraction this morning, I've been heavy on the Swampers lately (rewatched "Muscle Shoals" a couple weeks ago), so lots of Queen of Soul, Wilson Pickett, Clarence Carter et al. Those Alabama boys was FONKY!

• Like 1