Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

24 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Dave, check out the Storyville song I posted above. Great tune if your not familiar with it!

I did & liked it... and the previous song as well

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 1

This arrived in the post yesterday. There isn't a bad track on it, easily their best album.  I used to own it on green transparent vinyl, which was how the first few thousand copies were pressed.  I only learned last week that their original guitarist 'Fast Eddie' Clarke died in January 2018, meaning all of the 3 original band members are no longer with us.  That made me feel old. I used to be a huge fan of Lemmy back in my teens, as much for his time with Hawkwind as Motorhead. I remember standing in a shivery huddle all night long with some other fans outside the Apollo Theatre which was in a very rough part of Manchester (England) to get a front row ticket for their 3rd album 'Bomber' tour. I was 14 and my parents were not at all impressed.  When the band came on, there was a big surge toward the stage and I ended up getting pushed away to the right and I spent the entire gig with my arms on the stage and their left-side (from their side) P.A. stack about 24-36 inches from my face.  I had a very high-pitched noise in my ears for 2 days after the gig, bleddy great.

image.png.64e480f00f8b1b5fe980606ca00acceb.png

Edited by Mr. Dave
typo

Just got this lovely care package from the good people at kabusa.com. The GSE is a mono-summing device for stereo turntables that goes between the TT and preamp. The switchbox is a hardwired remote to choose between stereo/mono signals. Other goodies are Mogami RCA cables and a KAB, press-on record clamp. My TT is an old Kenwood, and it wasn't recommended that I use a heavy clamp on the platter. Works great, and even has a bubble level!

KAB_USA.jpg

• Like 1

In the summer of 1965 (after I'd had two years of drum lessons at elementary school and have gotten an entry-level drum set for Christmas, my youngest sister (18 years older than me) sent me a Gene Krupa album as a present for finishing elementary school and getting ready to start junior high in the fall.

It opened with a number called "Drummin' Man, with a lead vocal by featured vocalist Anita O'Day, followed by a hot trumpet solo by featured trumpeter Roy Eldridge, aka "Little Jazz." As an 11-year-old with only two years of drum lessons, I was dumfounded by Krupa's control, especially how he could accent his single stroke rolls by placing rimshots at will:

By contrast, before the summer was out, the Beatles had released eight albums in the U.S. I liked The Beatles, but I knew I was in the minority for really bonding with this energetic jazz along with the musicianship involved.

Four tracks further into Side A was an energetic rendition of a number titled "China Boy." Unlike the full big band plus vocalists in "Drummin' Man," "China Boy" was performed by a quartet--sax, bass, piano, and drums. It was so fast and energetic that when I played it for my big brother (who also had taken drum lessons for 2-years), we played the song several times because we couldn't get over the energy, the speed, the dynamics, and the mastery each musician had over his respective instrument:

I hope that explains my fascination with big band and pre-war jazz in the middle of the British Invasion.

Edited by JohnnyB

On 7/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, RobB said:

Just got this lovely care package from the good people at kabusa.com. The GSE is a mono-summing device for stereo turntables that goes between the TT and preamp. The switchbox is a hardwired remote to choose between stereo/mono signals. Other goodies are Mogami RCA cables and a KAB, press-on record clamp. My TT is an old Kenwood, and it wasn't recommended that I use a heavy clamp on the platter. Works great, and even has a bubble level!

KAB_USA.jpg

My turntable is a Technics direct drive turntable. I've gotten a few of KABUSA's accessories including the earlier version of the record clamp and a screw-on machined aluminum damper trough that settles tonearm excursions and resonances. He makes thoughtfully designed add-ons for a good price.

Albert Lee, James Burton, Ricky Skaggs, Hank DeVito? Sheeeeit...! Take THAT, Henley/Felder/Frey!

IMG_0067.JPG

The Master. JB could have retired to working on his cars after this classic and his legend would still be sealed. Epitome of taste, feel, melody and restraint.

IMG_0068.JPG

One of the great L.A. bands of the 60's. Too much talent in this group to have continued, but, OH-EM-GEE...they fukkin RULED. Their influence carried into the 90's (Matthew Sweet, Jeff Tweedy and all of the, "Alt-Country" bands).

IMG_0069.JPG

Edited by RobB
  • Like 2