Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

On 7/19/2019 at 9:56 PM, RobB said:

Albert Lee, James Burton, Ricky Skaggs, Hank DeVito? Sheeeeit...! Take THAT, Henley/Felder/Frey!

IMG_0067.JPG

Are you mixing up Emmylou and Linda Ronstadt? Henley, Frey, Meisner, and Leadon (who formed The Eagles) were in Ronstadt's backup band for her first tour. Read the Wiki entry for Emmylou and you won't find any mention of any of the Eagles.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, RobB said:

No, dude. I was just comparing their contributions to El Lay Country Rock, thassall. 

I figured I was missing something, but I had to ask. I was in an Eagles/Jackson Brown/Ronstadt cover band in SoCal in the mid-'70s.

9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I was in an Eagles/Jackson Brown/Ronstadt cover band in SoCal in the mid-'70s.

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, admitting something like that is a brave, first step to recovery. Good for you!

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, admitting something like that is a brave, first step to recovery. Good for you!

If you wanted to fill the bars in SoCal in the '70s, the quickest path was covering Eagles/Ronstadt/Jackson Browne. It's the world we lived in and the path we chose 43 years ago.

I had fun. I"ll never repent.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 3

On 7/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, RobB said:

No, dude. I was just comparing their contributions to El Lay Country Rock, thassall. 

Well, thanks to you pointing that out, I dug out Emmylou Harris's Roses in the Snow. Gonna spin that later today. And you're right about the backup crew; it's stunning: Ricky Skaggs, Tony Rice, The Whites on backup vocals (nothing compares to relatives for unified harmony), Albert Lee, Brian Ahern, Jerry Douglas on Dobro (the best I have ever heard), John Ware, Willie Nelson on gut-string guitar, Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Johnny Cash on various vocal harmonies. Here is one of my favorite cuts from this album, with vocal harmonies by The Whites:

Edited by JohnnyB

21 hours ago, RobB said:

PassIII.JPG

MMT.JPG

Wow! I just checked my LP collection and I have that Joe Pass album! I never got around to playing it. Right now I'm listening to the Getz/Gilberto "Girl From Ipanema" album, but Joe Pass is next!

Also, I think The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" is better than many of us realize. It's captivating from start to finish and wi'll be up in the rotation soon.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:58 PM, JohnnyB said:

Wow! I just checked my LP collection and I have that Joe Pass album! I never got around to playing it. Right now I'm listening to the Getz/Gilberto "Girl From Ipanema" album, but Joe Pass is next!

Also, I think The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" is better than many of us realize. It's captivating from start to finish and wi'll be up in the rotation soon.

Check out, "Portraits of Duke Ellington", my fave of the Pablo-era Joe Pass records. Ray Brown (b), Bobby Durham (d), killer from end to end.

I usually spin the mono, 2x7"EPs of MMT, but I finally found an LP copy with the booklet intact, so it went home with me. The stereo version has some cool mixes, particularly, "...Walrus" and, "Penny Lane."