Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

Got a whole mess of vinyl from my LA trip to post. AND, a Black Sabbath box from Rhino/Warner with all the 70s lps, tour program reprints, a 45 of, “Evil Woman”, plus an extra LP of mono mixes. They did a beautiful job, very nice tribute to the OGs. 

Edited by RobB

My Keyboard player recently turned me onto this guitarist, Jimmy James, who plays with the Scone Cash Players and The Delvon Lamar Organ Trio. Don't know if any of you know anything about Daptone Records but many of the players in these videos are tied to various artists on the Daptone label. Anyway, I can't get enough of this stuff. Did Jimmy laying down the funk with an old Silvertone hollowbody. 

• Like 1

After I spent some time listening to newer stuff, I recently spent some time to listen to some old 60's/70's stuff, Traffic, Zappa, Cozy Powell, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Buddy Miles Express, Cactus, early (pre-Perry) Journey, Todd Rundgren, Tubes

On 10/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, Hamer_SS_guy said:

After I spent some time listening to newer stuff, I recently spent some time to listen to some old 60's/70's stuff, Traffic, Zappa, Cozy Powell, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Buddy Miles Express, Cactus, early (pre-Perry) Journey, Todd Rundgren, Tubes

My favorite Tubes video is when John Candy as outdoorsman, Gil Fisher, takes The Tubes on a fishing expedition:

IMG_0193.JPG

Bay Area legends. Looking forward to rooting out GCS's other releases. Take THAT, Les Claypool!

IMG_0194.JPG

Had this in high school. Was wondering if it still kicks ass. It does.

IMG_0195.JPG

Beer ad guys. Yeah, but one of the better Power Pop bands. Check out Wally's new band with Clem Burke/Andy Babiuk, The Empty Hearts!

IMG_0196.JPG

All I own by Small Faces is a pretty spotty, Immediate Records CD comp. This 2LP one's a goodie, on thick, 1981 German vinyl.

IMG_0199.JPG

Forgot about this one. Early 80's Columbia collection of rarities, Bsides and Europe-only tracks. Really great LP.

Edited by RobB

IMG_0200.JPG

Ritchie: "Bang on, then, Ronnie. You and Elf got the gig."

Ronnie: "What about my guitarist?"

Ritchie: "I'm sorry. Who?"

IMG_0201.JPG

Love. This. Record. 

IMG_0202.JPG

Check out Pattie, she's no fattie! Another winner. Her original band was so killer, and Geraldo's playing and tone are stellar.

IMG_0203.JPG

I've got the CD version from the Blue Horizon Fleetwood Mac box set, but, well, you know...

Edited by RobB
  • Like 2

IMG_0204.JPG

Been looking for a clean copy of this for a while. Hugely influential on The Byrds, Waylon Jennings, Flying Burrito Bros., etc.

IMG_0205.JPG

Classic, clean and NM. Great party record.

IMG_0206.JPG

And now, from my good friends at Rhino/Warner:

The GODS! The Gods themselves!! On your knees, dogs!!!

Got tired of not buying chewed-up copies of Sabbath on shitty, 70s vinyl. Got this box at a discount ($199.99+shipping). It's now selling on discogs.com for $300/up. Check out all the extras they included with this box:

IMG_0207.JPG

Edited by RobB

Yesterday was "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion," " Amorica," and "Three Snakes and One Charm," inspired by our thread about the non-reunion of the Black Crowes. Today will be "The Lost Crowes," which is made up of the tapes from the "Taller" sessions (the year+ they spent trying to record what eventually became Amorica after starting nearly from scratch). I'm on a big "core members" '92-'97 lineup kick. That's where the magic is for me with that dysfunctional family.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, Toadroller said:

I have an Al Hirt Greatest hits, which includes "The Best Man," a duet he did with Ann-Margret on this album.

The band leader (and my first drum teacher) at my elementary school in Cincinnati, was John Hirt, Al Hirt's cousin. They came to Cincinnati from New Orleans and studied at Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music together.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1

I played this CD in my car a few days ago. I'd had the LP version since my sister gave it to me for my birthday in 1969.

I was quite taken by the high energy chart, "The St. Petersburg Race" from the film, "Run Sunward"

That film has the distinction of having no entry in imdb.com

I found out that it was a film about offshore high-speed boat racing.

spacer.png

It  turns out one of the major figures in this film is Don Aranow, who was a great boat pilot and also founded Magnum, Cary, Cigarette, Donzi, and Formula speedboats. 

There are a couple of bio-dramas about him including "Thunder Man" and "Speed Kills." His boats were popular with organized crime because his boats were plenty fast for smuggling. The Cigarette boats made 500 hp and could top out at around 90 mph. His shady side caught up with him and he was gunned down in a classic mob hit in 1987.

Anyway, I justs discovered that I don't need to order a $40 DVD of "Run Sunward" from this website; it turns out I can watch the whole thing on YouTube, and I'm really glad I didn't spend the money as the film really shows its age. If they really want to keep it around, they should rewrite and re-record the narration.

It turns out that "The St. Petersburg Race" in the soundtrack refers to an open-water race from St. Petersburg, FL to Port Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island off the east coast of Florida. The film also showed a 440-mile offshore race from Long Beach to San Francisco, CA.

Edited by JohnnyB
mil

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I have an Al Hirt Greatest hits, which includes "The Best Man," a duet he did with Ann-Margret on this album.

The band leader (and my first drum teacher) at my elementary school in Cincinnati, was Al Hirt's cousin. They came to Cincinnati and studied at Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music together.

I love the playfulness between the two, and the excellent use of stereo panning at the end of the song.  Just a coquettish bit of fun, kind of a non-Christmas-y "Baby it's Cold Outside.."

On 10/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, RobB said:

IMG_0204.JPG

Been looking for a clean copy of this for a while. Hugely influential on The Byrds, Waylon Jennings, Flying Burrito Bros., etc.

I just finished watching all 8 episodes of Ken Burns' documentary, "Country Music." In one segment, Dwight Yoakam was on-camera describing what a spot-on, poignant lyricist Merle Haggard was. The thought of Merle's lyrics (and, I suppose, his passing in 2016) got Dwight so choked up he could hardly make it through the segment.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, RobB said:

IMG_0196.JPG

All I own by Small Faces is a pretty spotty, Immediate Records CD comp. This 2LP one's a goodie, on thick, 1981 German vinyl.

Does it have "Itchycoo Park?" I remember that one as a single charting on Top 40 when I was in high school.

I have a copy of this on LP. I'll have to fish it out and give it a spin:

s-l300.jpg

Edited by JohnnyB

On 10/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, RobB said:

IMG_0201.JPG

Love. This. Record. 

+1! 

One of the first LPs I bought after I got my turntable in 2001. Got it used for $3.99.

And the cover art earned Vargas another year in the business ... at least!