Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

• 3 weeks later...

new Sasquatch;

new COC;

Just watched a documentary on these guys, didn't know they were proggy on their earlier stuff

(radio DJs 1st edited this 12 minute suite into the 3 minute tune we hear today on greatest hits albums),

the horns remind me of my old band;

Edited by Brooks

Really like these guys from Greece catch them at one of these stops

37B3E8B1-3211-4210-9CBE-75F81211AF73.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My sister just sent me a stack of LPs including several Count Basie albums I didn't already have. I spun this one last night.

91Mk1NWNLgL._SX522_.jpg91WYMR5DYzL._SX522_.jpg

I saw Basie & his band live in 1974, when he was 70. It was the same band that had that cameo in Blazing Saddles.

But this album is a 1963 collection of the pre-war Basie band at its legendary best. All recordings are from 1937-1939. Band members include rhythm guitarist extraordinaire Freddie Green, tenor sax Lester ("The Pres") Young, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, trumpeters Buck Clayton and Harry "Sweets" Edison, drummer Jo Jones, vocalist Jimmy Rushing ....

Tape recording and LPs didn't exist for another 10 years, so these recordings are all transferred from 78 rpm lacquers. Surprisingly, they are clean-sounding, dynamic, and particularly rhythmic. It's easy to visualize a ballroom full of Depression-era young adults partying their asses off to this jump 'n' jive music.

It's very enjoyable music and it also demonstrates the enormous amount of talent and energy that this band brought to the party in its prime. Some of the tracks are "electronically reprocessed to simulate stereo." I may have to swap in my mono cartridge to extract the authentic original cuts.

• Like 3