Hamer Fan Club Message Center

14 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Thanks Johnny.  I picked up my two favorites- Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.  Of note, not all the 180g Beatles there have been given the Giles Martin treatment.

I also picked up a Dark Side of the Moon, as I've never had it on Vinyl.  I'm a child of the 80s, not the 70s.

Interestingly, when you listen to the late Beatles and continue with early ELO I+II right after, except for the voice it keeps sounding very similar. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't need new music until this is organized.

I’ve been on a huge Redd Kross kick.  This is one of the greatest TV performances I’ve ever seen.  

Posted Images

On 7/9/2020 at 11:32 PM, gorch said:

Interestingly, when you listen to the late Beatles and continue with early ELO I+II right after, except for the voice it keeps sounding very similar. 

When ELO first came on the scene, to me they sounded like where The Beatles had been heading musically if they hadn't broken up,

It looks like several people noticed it before me.

• Like 1

I used to have a recording of this album, retrospective of the Moody Blues' most signature songs released as a 2-LP album. I was working at a stereo store in 1975 and this was one of our favorite demo albums. I made a recording of all 40 minutes of the album on my Tandberg reel-to-reel and listened to it often. I really felt like it gave me a representative collection of their songwriting, musicianship, and variety of styles and themes.

Then 12 years later I sold my reel-to-reel to help finance a move from California to Boston, and I had no way to play my open reel tapes. I went without from 1987 onward.

In 2007 I bought a new turntable and started seeking out my favorite LPs. I tried really hard to find this one, but they seemed to be out of print or there were a few scarce vintage copies that had gotten pretty expensive.

Then a week ago I realized, "Why not see if anybody's listing these on eBay?" Sure enough, there they were, and at prices $10 to $50 below what I'd seen before. I picked a VG+ to VG++ rated copy (and the seller proved to be honest; the black vinyl gleamed), and only $9.50 for the 2-record set in like-new condition.

It arrived a couple days ago (fast response and shipping) and to took me on a time trip. These songs remind me of what was going on in the mid-'70s and what a skilful creative group they were. And my wife likes the Moodies, too. We caught them live in May, 2017 on their 50th anniversary tour of their "Days of Future Passed.

Great stuff, well written, well-recorded, and well-played. And the music takes me all the way back to when I turned 14.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • 3 weeks later...

E9CB4FDC-2223-40E1-9D23-0D228C95F924.jpeg

Between this and, “Golden Hits”, most of the must-have CB tracks. Not as good a comp as, “The Great 28”, but it’ll do. 

• Like 1

B0B6F33A-3310-4BB6-B92D-23C4F8EE6309.jpeg

Killer power pop. I think the Beat opened for the Knack on their first arena tour. They coulda made it, good stuff. 

Edited by RobB

Yesterday I listened to Lou Rawls' first album, Stormy Monday, recorded and released in 1962 backed by the jazz pianist Les McCann and his trio. Lou and Les became acquainted with each other when they were both performing in the jazz club scene in Hollywood in the late '50s.

They finally figured out  a way to record together by having a late night/early morning session at the Capitol Records Building in Hollywood after their club gigs.

spacer.png

For me, this is one of those "treasure albums," where a jazz-oriented singer gets paired with some charismatic jazz instrumentalists before the corporate suits get hold of them and turn them into an easy listening act. They did it to Nat King Cole, Diana Krall, and many others. Tony Bennett was a kick-ass jazz vocalist when he first started (still is). He, Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day and others chafed under Mitch Miller's heavy-handed treacly middle-of-the-road production at Columbia and arrangement style and changed labels in desperation.

This album is perfect as is, and shows what happens when talented people get together to make music without interference.

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT!

Watched the entire concert last night with the missus. VHS quality video but the board feed is not too bad. Fucking Bill Bruford!

Oh Oh I forgot to add: AN ANIMATED STEVE HOWE!!!!! He fucking moves and shit...

Edited by JGale
On 8/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, JGale said:

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT!

Watched the entire concert last night with the missus. VHS quality video but the board feed is not too bad. Fucking Bill Bruford!

Oh Oh I forgot to add: AN ANIMATED STEVE HOWE!!!!! He fucking moves and shit...

Is a hangman’s moose a slip knot or a square knot? Asking for a friend. 

Edited by RobB

I would say they are at the height of their powers here. Last time I saw them was years ago in Mankato and the band had changed a lot with Fran Cosmo now doing lead vocals. There sounded just like the recording WALK ON................... compliment intended.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 1

Prefect beautiful 70 degree day afternoon In MInnesota............................... time for some hot Jazz by "SCO" 

• Like 1