Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another Cali project begins

Lady Scary was kind enough to part with one of her worn Cali LE's and I have the makings for yet another Cali project. Gonna take out the active EMG's and drop in a some crunchy passives- toss up between some Bare Knuckles and something along the lines of the EVH Frankenp'up. Then, a new Schaller FR w/ brass big block, swap a toggle type selector for the 3 way. Lastly, it's off to Dan Lawrence for some eff-ing cool paint.

Can't wait! :D

Can we get some before pics?

Have ordered a Bare Knuckle Holydiver bridge, an SD Little '59, a Switchcraft toggle, a Schaller black Floyd, a FU Brass Big Block and have scheduled a paint job from Dan Lawrence... nothing left but the waiting.

scaryCaliLE.jpg

CaliLE.jpg

That is going to be a killer plan. Please give a full tone report including the Bare Knuckle and it's sound in as much detail as possible. You are I are always on the same pickup wavelength and I've been fairly curious over the years as to what a Holy Diver sounds like in a Hamer. I looked at that dude's website and he doses some great work, the Eat Em' and Smile guitar was just completely perfect... are you getting something customized as far as graphics go or are you just getting some sort of a "finish"?

That is going to be a killer plan. Please give a full tone report including the Bare Knuckle and it's sound in as much detail as possible. You are I are always on the same pickup wavelength and I've been fairly curious over the years as to what a Holy Diver sounds like in a Hamer. I looked at that dude's website and he doses some great work, the Eat Em' and Smile guitar was just completely perfect... are you getting something customized as far as graphics go or are you just getting some sort of a "finish"?

Custom paint design... to be revealed when finished :ph34r::lol:

I love projects like this - good luck! I love the before pics, especially the long finish cracks on the body, and the worn spot where someone rested their picking hand.

But a question...why not go for the Floyd Upgrades trem in addition to the brass block your ordered?

I love my FU. No other brand Floyds feel as amazing. A bit pricey, though. I ordered mine with a titanium big block when he had a blowout sale on them.

Here's my old Gotoh Floyd with stock brass block compared to the monster titanium...

aug-2011-015-15962.jpg

I love projects like this - good luck! I love the before pics, especially the long finish cracks on the body, and the worn spot where someone rested their picking hand.

But a question...why not go for the Floyd Upgrades trem in addition to the brass block your ordered?

I love my FU. No other brand Floyds feel as amazing. A bit pricey, though. I ordered mine with a titanium big block when he had a blowout sale on them.

Here's my old Gotoh Floyd with stock brass block compared to the monster titanium...

Hmm. I toyed with the idea of a FU trem but price was the deciding factor- that, and the Schaller trems have the shortened string lock screws. If I wanted to go any other trem, I'd have to rout the body for the longer string clamp screws. What quantifiable advantages does the FU trem have over a Schaller or the OFR?

Awesome pics by the way.

Trem, block, switch and SD Little '59 have arrived. Awaiting Holy diver p'up and then the ax is off to Dan for paint. Cannot wait for this to come back!!!

What quantifiable advantages does the FU trem have over a Schaller or the OFR?

From what I can tell, Adam's FU Floyd is very similar to the Gotoh Floyd with some features of the OFR. The Gotoh in my Charvel is, IMO, such an improvement in funcionality/machining over other FR models, including OFR/Schaller/Edge trems.

I like that the brass block is standard on the Gotoh/FU. The Gotoh block has grooves machined for each spring anchor and the springs are secured with counter-sunk machine screws. Nice feature, though you have to install the springs to the claw in a straight line, so no EVH-style, two-springs in an "A" shape, etc.

The FU bridge features the OFR/Schaller, collared trem arm, which I don't care for that much. What IS cool is that the FU trem arm has an allen wrench built-in. Very clever! The Gotoh has a locking collar (allen screw, no threads) with a simarily non-threaded arm. I feel this design has the least "arm slop" of any FR model. Even if you adjust the arm tension loosely, it still feels pretty tight in the block. A sturdier feel...

The FU/Gotoh (like the OFR), unlike the Schaller, has a hardened steel baseplate, no knife-edge inserts. In my experience, a tough, steel baseplate holds up well to trem abuse and intonation adjustment of the saddles. There have been more than a few posts on the HFC of members looking for worn-out, Schaller baseplates.

Finally, the Gotoh/FU saddles are fully rectangular, with a cut-out for the allen screws that lock it to the baseplate. No "forked" saddles to warp over time. Overall, I feel Gotoh/FU Floyds have some capital improvements over the OFR design. Their consistent tuning/mechanics and superior metal castings work for me.

In reality, three generations of great guitarists have gotten along JUST FINE with the OFR bridge, so I guess it all comes down to what features and quality you prefer. YMMV!

What quantifiable advantages does the FU trem have over a Schaller or the OFR?

From what I can tell, Adam's FU Floyd is very similar to the Gotoh Floyd with some features of the OFR. The Gotoh in my Charvel is, IMO, such an improvement in funcionality/machining over other FR models, including OFR/Schaller/Edge trems.

I like that the brass block is standard on the Gotoh/FU. The Gotoh block has grooves machined for each spring anchor and the springs are secured with counter-sunk machine screws. Nice feature, though you have to install the springs to the claw in a straight line, so no EVH-style, two-springs in an "A" shape, etc.

The FU bridge features the OFR/Schaller, collared trem arm, which I don't care for that much. What IS cool is that the FU trem arm has an allen wrench built-in. Very clever! The Gotoh has a locking collar (allen screw, no threads) with a simarily non-threaded arm. I feel this design has the least "arm slop" of any FR model. Even if you adjust the arm tension loosely, it still feels pretty tight in the block. A sturdier feel...

The FU/Gotoh (like the OFR), unlike the Schaller, has a hardened steel baseplate, no knife-edge inserts. In my experience, a tough, steel baseplate holds up well to trem abuse and intonation adjustment of the saddles. There have been more than a few posts on the HFC of members looking for worn-out, Schaller baseplates.

Finally, the Gotoh/FU saddles are fully rectangular, with a cut-out for the allen screws that lock it to the baseplate. No "forked" saddles to warp over time. Overall, I feel Gotoh/FU Floyds have some capital improvements over the OFR design. Their consistent tuning/mechanics and superior metal castings work for me.

In reality, three generations of great guitarists have gotten along JUST FINE with the OFR bridge, so I guess it all comes down to what features and quality you prefer. YMMV!

The new Schaller LFRS have those hardened steel threading inserts for the intonation screws, so now they won't wear off as fast anymore...

Hmm. I toyed with the idea of a FU trem but price was the deciding factor- that, and the Schaller trems have the shortened string lock screws. If I wanted to go any other trem, I'd have to rout the body for the longer string clamp screws. What quantifiable advantages does the FU trem have over a Schaller or the OFR?

Awesome pics by the way.

Thanks! Well, aside from the excellent quality, it's all about the arm. You can lock it in place or let it swing freely. If you take it off, there is an allen wrench hidden at the tip of the trem arm! The noiseless springs are awesome, too.

aug-2011-011-15968.jpg

Awesome pics by the way.

Thanks! Well, aside from the excellent quality, it's all about the arm. You can lock it in place or let it swing freely. If you take it off, there is an allen wrench hidden at the tip of the trem arm! The noiseless springs are awesome, too.

Interesting. Might have to try one. :)

Though I have to say, I've gotten along fine without having the allen wrench at the bottom of the arm and the collared arm mechanism does not bother me in the least except when it DOESN'T function as designed. Loose swinging arms are a MAJOR pet peeve and arms that require excessive effort to move are just as bad, IMO.

Noiseless springs seem like a bit of superfluous hype- like the cherry on the sundae- I don't eat the cherry, I want the sundae. I'll admit I don't play or perform in a setting where something like spring noise (which I've never heard outside of when it's unplugged, the cavity cover is off and I'm depressing the bar a lot) would be a problem.

Have played Gotoh's and my reaction was "meh" Performance was no better nor worse than my Schallers or OFR's.

IMO, the biggest selling point of an FU is the durability of the body. Longer lasting components sound good to me. With the amount of abuse I bestow on my trems, I typically replace the posts and have the knife edges resharpened long before most players do.

Came across this review of FU components a few minutes ago:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133291-Floyd-Upgrades-review

Might have to try the springs and the stainless saddle screws...

I read the review you posted - I agree with it. I love mine.

I'm opposite of you, in that I like my bar to swing freely.

Here's a link to my Floyd Upgrades install on my ebmm axis:

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/50664-sinister-evolution-frankensugar-mmmwahahahaha.html

may-2011-014-15127.jpg

tuner-buttons-15988.jpg

And, then there's the shocking transformation of Oinky, my other ebmm axis...

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/52603-oinky-going-killswitch.html

oinky1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The next phase has begun. The once purple Cali is now modded, disassembled and off to Dan for some kick ass snakeskin action. Then, the guts go back in, including the new Schaller Floyd w/ FU block, Bare Knuckles Holy Diver bridge, SD Lil' 59 in the neck and I should be annoying the neighbors and the spouse with style! :lol:

DSCN0760.jpg

Do you happen to have a sample pic of what Dan's "Snakeskin" finish looks like? I really like the O'Connor stuff, but most of the others I've seen are kind of "meh" to me. I'd be interested to check out his work!

Do you happen to have a sample pic of what Dan's "Snakeskin" finish looks like? I really like the O'Connor stuff, but most of the others I've seen are kind of "meh" to me. I'd be interested to check out his work!

Not to the extent that it depicts what my design will look like. My design was taken from a certain type pf python and to my knowledge, no one has ever done this design before.

Try this page which has thumbnails links to his work, two of which are some rather solid snakeskins...

SNAKESKINS

• 4 weeks later...

I love me a nice snakeskin guitar - great choice. I cannot wait to see this baby!!!

Damn right. Snakeskin is one of several iconic 80's RAWK graphics that came to mind when I was trying to determine how to adorn the Cali. Not to toot my own horn but I'll bet you'll see my design aped a few times after pics surface on Dan's website.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah... just got a photo from Dan showing me the prelim design. After a few tweaks to the design and the clear applied, it's off to my tech for re-assembly. This is gonna be killer... patience is waning... Two "new" Cali's on the way. Nevermind christmas, gonna get my presents in Nov. :lol:

Archived