Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Post audio from your Hamer! or other.

That's pretty fkn cool dude :)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks zenmindbeginner- I comment on your youtube stuff at bottom.

Agree, It is nice to hear the guitar in action instead of just pictures, Vic Croll's killer stuff is all that I've ever heard.

Mine is just the Californian SS with Amplitube 3. I constantly twiddle around and save different settings and then write from them, I can get lot's of sounds, but that one killer George Lynch type sound has escaped me. It's probably the Duncan Designed pup's. Thanks again.

On Fire is one of the few songs that if I have enough in me can make me have explosive outburst and break things. Is that a USA Diablo? If so, it has the sound that escapes me! Saying you do a good job is an understatement, it's top quality.

Cheers for that Greg :)

We're looking to get some of the new stuff recorded with my Hamers soon & will post some snippets on here...

http://spacebag.bandcamp.com

Heavily distorted keyboard, Guitar, and drums. Recorded this year.

All the guitar you hear is my 90s Hamer studio plugged into a JCM800 with a tubescreamer in front for extra hair. The wall of keyboard is pretty dense, but the guitar is mixed more to the right side if you are interested in the tone of the Hamer. I've tried a lot of guitars for metal but nothing beats the tone of this old Hamer with the stock Duncan JB.

Cheers!

Yeah that's some good tone there. That's what a Hamer, Marshall and a little mid boost sounds like. Professional as hell.

By the way the drums are great. Back in the 80's one person doing all this was looked at as a genius.

I don't have anything recent since I've gotten my chops back up to speed. (after a long period of limited playing.) This is from 2/12 just screwing around with some Mel bay stuff, testing out some new recording gear. :D

http://soundclick.co...cfm?id=11779351

I thought you were pulling the leg at first. What is the guitar? I sounds like a you made it through a Host with midi drums. It could just be from a guitar and a workstation type keyboard. Let us know, nice chops and good sound.

Pulling your leg about what? The Mel Bay stuff.. Absolutely. Really though, this was recorded earlier this year when my chops were weak as hell, my tech had dwindled due to lack of playing so I wasn't joking about that part. I had just received my Axe FXII a few days before recording this, it was mainly just to see how everything would sit in a mix with multiple guitar tracks. What you hear are raw, unmastered tracks straight out from the Axe into a Zoom 1608 workstation, just leveled up on the volume for each track. Everything was played real-time other than the midi drums from the Zoom. If I'm not mistaken I used the Diablo I for most parts along with a maple Cali. I've been playing pretty regularly for the past six months so, hopefully I'll have something face melting here in the next few weeks.

Zen, thanks dude!!

You're Welcome Jettster, that was absolutely top notch playing and production... I thought the chops were sick IMHO!

Mine is just the Californian SS with Amplitube 3. I constantly twiddle around and save different settings and then write from them, I can get lot's of sounds, but that one killer George Lynch type sound has escaped me. It's probably the Duncan Designed pup's. Thanks again. On Fire is one of the few songs that if I have enough in me can make me have explosive outburst and break things. Is that a USA Diablo? If so, it has the sound that escapes me! Saying you do a good job is an understatement, it's top quality.

Well, there was a assload of riffs, different sounds and styles in that one recording you made, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Your Duncan designed pups might be really really good... guys on the Duncan forum rave about them. Lynch used the Duncan Distortion and you might actually have the Duncan designed version of that pickup. i have been using the JB for the last few years and it is a VERY similar wind to the Duncan Distortion but with an Alnico 5 magnet instead of the DD's ceramic bar.

Lynch is one of those weird guys with this VERY specific technique... my favorite tones are from "Under Lock and Key" and "Back From The Attack".

I did the solo for The Final Countdown earlier today, just 'cause I love kitsch. The guitar is the Centaura (stripped finish)... don't let the sound escape you and let's try and figure out how to get you there.

http://soundcloud.co...norum-the-swede

Area 61 pickup baby

This was done about 10 years ago and is a mix of Ovation Balladeer and Hamer Diablo w/ EMG 81's, run thru various Digitech RP 50 multieffects settings into a Roland digital 8 track. Drums via Boss Dr. Rhythm.

CRUSH

This was done about 10 years ago and is a mix of Ovation Balladeer and Hamer Diablo w/ EMG 81's, run thru various Digitech RP 50 multieffects settings into a Roland digital 8 track. Drums via Boss Dr. Rhythm.

CRUSH

I like Chunky Style better, just my preference for a harder sound. Very good playing and great tone and overall mix. I am assuming that is the Diablo w/EMG's. My next guitar is a Diablo USA and will keep the stock JB's. It is an out of the box ready to rock guitar.

CRUSH

That was totally cool! Loved the liquid and modern sounding lead lines... a real tour de force of guitar!

Nothing technically mind-blowing, just some improvised ensemble playing:

http://soundcloud.co...th-tap-edit-192

Totally groovy man. The drummer and keyboard player for the Rub were just sick BTW. I like this one too. Killer solo on a schweet Ibanez @2:45!

My next guitar is a Diablo USA and will keep the stock JB's. It is an out of the box ready to rock guitar.

One of my Centaura's came stock with a 16K Hamer Slammer... they pop up every now and then in the bolt on shredders made in 1990 or so. VERY comparable to the JB, so without looking it would be almost hard to tell the difference. Good luck on that future Diablo man. :)

I'd like to post svl's killer track he posted earlier this Summer too, it is chock full of great guitar tones and playing... song is pretty damn cool too!

Full Moon Turn My Head Around (2012)

CRUSH

I like Chunky Style better, just my preference for a harder sound. Very good playing and great tone and overall mix. I am assuming that is the Diablo w/EMG's. My next guitar is a Diablo USA and will keep the stock JB's. It is an out of the box ready to rock guitar.

Yeah, Chunky Style is def harder and heavier but CRUSH was more intricate and complex. I am anxious to get back to recording the considerable backlog of crap I've built up in the 10 years since. :lol:

I'll play. This is a song I've been reworking over the summer and have added vocals. I'm still working on it but it is pretty close to as good as I can get it.

Systems in Place

recording on my mac in Garageband using Amplitube for amp sims. Presonus firewire interface. Hamer 84 Prototype II for all guitar parts. Hamer 83 Cruise bass for bass. Drums on demand drums.

Nice.

What tremolo setup is on that prototype II?

I like this one too. Killer solo on a schweet Ibanez @2:45!

Ha! Thanks. We got a nice raw sound in that TV studio. Guitar is an Ibanez RT450 into a Boss Super Overdive into a Marshall Artist 3203.

Via Zenmindbegginer

One of my Centaura's came stock with a 16K Hamer Slammer... they pop up every now and then in the bolt on shredders made in 1990 or so. VERY comparable to the JB, so without looking it would be almost hard to tell the difference. Good luck on that future Diablo man. :)

I have heard those and they do sound excellent. I have never heard a Diablo that didn't sound good. They have a raw sound to them that seems like it would be easy to shape to your liking, it's like the anti-Ibanez (Which are great too). I prefer Alder to Mahogany too. I am sure you can get a straty blues sound out of it in addition to the excellent metal and hard rock sound. For the price, It is the Hamer that I have pretty much made my mind on. Versatile but metal at the core. Whatever I buy will have have either the stock Duncan's or the Slammer's.

Whatever I buy will have have either the stock Duncan's or the Slammer's.

I've got a pair (trio actually) of stock Duncans that just came out of a Diablo II to make room for the proper Dimarzio's. If you're interested I could be convinced to part with whatever portion of the trio you need for next to nothing.

I've got a pair (trio actually) of stock Duncans that just came out of a Diablo II to make room for the proper Dimarzio's. If you're interested I could be convinced to part with whatever portion of the trio you need for next to nothing.

Definitely, I'll send you a IM about it this weekend. I haven't changed too many pickups and I would like to put them in my Slammer Series Cali. Be a great project and I believe an overall improvement. I like the DD HB103's but they just lack power. They give a nice tone, but it's a little in the back and you just can't get that true power sound, just an imitation. And the ist generation Korean Slammer actually has nice mahogany wood, multi piece maple neck and is worthy of some better pups.

I'll IM you and we can talk about the details. My goal is too put a good rock HB pup in the bridge. The neck is a single and I don't believe the Diablo has that. Maybe I can get two of the Humbuckers to try out. Thanks for this offer.

Here is some random video of HB103's and I can instantly identify with these pup's. The produce metal, but it's weak and the lead's have a unpleasant nature about them, course sounding, can;t really put my finger on it, but I get this type of sound and you can't shake it. Effects and compression can make it sound semi-professional grade imo.

Random youtube video that has the Duncan Design HB103's

This is probably the clearest mixed thing I have made recently with the Duncan Design HB103's playing metalish music. They are a hundred times better than most stock pickups, they sound like Duncan Distortion pickup's but I think they just think they lack the presence of the tighter winded Duncan Pup's

Anyone have an opinion? If not........Post some more of your music!

1st gen(multi piece neck)1994 Hamer Slammer Series Californian, MIK with Mahogany body and DD pup's.

http://neilglasscock.com/music/hammermilk2.mp3

I thought the HB103s were great (in a 96 import Diablo) but once I'd swapped 'em out for EMG HZs decided they were naff in comparison. I tend to go with Warman HOT 12s in my modded guitars now (basically an SD Invader copy) that puts out 16k @ 9.2 Henries. They're like $16 each from Warman Guitars & look mint (I got a white one in my import Cali Deluxe)...

PS: Don't be fooled by them being Invader rips = they are better :D

Must say that the HB103s sound fkn mint on your clip...

I thought the HB103s were great (in a 96 import Diablo) but once I'd swapped 'em out for EMG HZs decided they were naff in comparison. I tend to go with Warman HOT 12s in my modded guitars now (basically an SD Invader copy) that puts out 16k @ 11 Henries. They're like $16 each from Warman Guitars & look mint (I got a white one in my import Cali Deluxe)...

PS: Don't be fooled by them being Invader rips = they are better :D

Must say that the HB103s sound fkn mint on your clip...

Thanks Vic, you always have good tone and comments. I am going to take up the offer of the stock Duncan's out of the USA Diablo II from cynic above. I figure one is probably a 59, but whatever I'll take anything stock from the USA Diablo and it will be a step up. The II came with the middle single coil which I could put in the Slammer California as well.

I agree with you that you don't realize how good a pickup is until you get a really good one like you did. I am spending too much time trying to get a sound that I am just not going to get and I believe the pickup is the first place to start :) It's an amount of clear presence that you hear in all kinds of settings that I think the Duncan's will bring. I still believe this Korean Cali is the best bang for the buck I have ever had.

Archived