Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Well, sorry to go against the haters, but John Mayer is REALLY good.

zorrow

My colleague who likes blues and is a big fan of John Mayer made a compilation for me.

I've been listening to it on and off during the weekend. While I haven't retained the song titles yet, I do realize the guy is a really good guitar player.

OK, his style is maybe too polished for my tastes, maybe a tad overproduced, maybe not raw enough to be called "blues" and all... but boy you bet the man can play!

Well, I do understand his mix of blues with pop and crooner-like ingredients can sound boring and too commercial for some (me included), but there's no way I would disrespect such a great guitarist.

I short, I don't like his stuff that much, but there's no doubt he's a hell of a musician. In addition, he has managed to live from his craft. Hats off to him!

I don't think anyone would deny he's a talented musician. Guitarists just hate on him because they think it's unfair that his concerts pull college coeds and he sleeps with superstars, while they're playing Jazz Odyssey to 5 guys with their arms crossed and sleeping in their mom's basement. Pretty sure John's getting the last laugh in that scenario :lol:

-

Austin

My theory is that guitar nerds are offended by the fact that Mayer came on the scene with a pandering brand of acoustic soothsaying, and parlayed that into their collective wet dream: playing Jimi covers through Two Rocks and Dumbles for large, enthusiastic audiences (the majority of which are chicks) with the likes of Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino. Said nerds, of course, would have done the exact same thing if they had anything resembling Mayer's talent and business savvy.

And then, of course, there are the women he's banged. Exceptional quality, despite what the "sharp knees" contingent will tell you.

Muse nailed it.

I'm not a fan of his music, but definitely not a hater. I think he's funny as hell in some of the interviews I've seen, and I still think his bit on "Chapelle's Show" was a classic.

More power to the guy. I wish him continued success, and a long stream of starlets ahead, if for no other reason, to piss of the Gear Pagers that love to bitch about him.

Jealousy is one ugly beyotch.

Muse nailed it.

I'm not a fan of his music, but definitely not a hater. I think he's funny as hell in some of the interviews I've seen, and I still think his bit on "Chapelle's Show" was a classic.

More power to the guy. I wish him continued success, and a long stream of starlets ahead, if for no other reason, to piss of the Gear Pagers that love to bitch about him.

Jealousy is one ugly beyotch.

Chris, That episode of Chappelle Show with Mayer is CLASSIC! Mayer played the quiet sideman in the skit to the hilt.

BTW, I really, really like "Shadow Days" and "Queen of California" a real lot.

For some reason there is a part of me that is holding me back from "liking" his personality, but I would really like to meet him in person and finally find out. This world can be really hard, and people in it can be cruel beyond belief--especially in the "music biz" so maybe what I'm picking up is John putting up boundaries to protect his soul and Spirit.

Here are a couple of videos;

"Shadow Days" is speaking to my Soul and Spirit in a big way right now.

PS--I'm not familiar with John's forays in the World of Women, so if someone could mention the members of the Fairer Sex who have cozied up with John so I can giv'm a call and offer some grief counseling and a "nice" alternative for them-lol!!!

He jumped the shark for me when he covered a Van Halen tune shirtless while playing a Frankenstein clone.

Edited to add

He did not play the tune well enough to warrant playing shirtless on a Frankenstein clone.

It would be like covering a Hendrix tune on one of Jimi's old guitars wearing a Jimi style outfit but not nailing the solo. Not cool to begin with, but even less cool when you don't deliver.

He does usually play well, I will give you that, but this time was pitiful.

He jumped the shark for me when he covered a Van Halen tune shirtless while playing a Frankenstein clone.

Edited to add

He did not play the tune well enough to warrant playing shirtless on a Frankenstein clone.

I've only seen one other shirtless guy playing that song on a guitar like that to a crowd of thousands do a better job.

Edited to add

And if it's gotten to the point that playing ability determines when, what, or how we can play I'm pretty fucked.

Why? How do YOU do it?

Don't tell me you wear a shirt!

I tried it once and the audience called animal control. Didn't end well for the animal control people. :lol:

Edited to add

I've only seen one other shirtless guy playing that song on a guitar like that to a crowd of thousands do a better job.

Edited to add

And if it's gotten to the point that playing ability determines when, what, or how we can play I'm pretty fucked.

I was referring to super rockstars and playing in front of a paying audience. If you are a super rockstar on tour, then yes, I mean you.

Why doesn't your ability to play a song factor into whether you play it for an audience? Especially when you are a super rockstar.

And if you are doing what appears to be a tribute performance of a song, I think it at least the main riffs should be played well with a similar tone and feel. But YMMV.

...he should thank his lucky stars.

I have a feeling he does... every night before getting onstage in front of thousands of his fans...right before plowing some hot actress/model/babe...right before checking how many millions he's got on ice...and probably right AFTER logging onto The Gear Page and getting a good laugh at how consumed a bunch of basement players in their 40s, 50s and 60s are with how awful he is!

...he should thank his lucky stars.

I have a feeling he does... every night before getting onstage in front of thousands of his fans...right before plowing some hot actress/model/babe...right before checking how many millions he's got on ice...and probably right AFTER logging onto The Gear Page and getting a good laugh at how consumed a bunch of basement players in their 40s, 50s and 60s are with how awful he is!

Hey who wouldn't want to be that lucky and rich?

No one will remember him in fifty years since he hasn't done anything unique, he's a pop tart like Britney Spears IMO.

No one will remember him in fifty years since he hasn't done anything unique, he's a pop tart like Britney Spears IMO.

Not everyone can have Flawless Technique™. And more people will remember John Mayer than Steve Stevens.

Not everyone can have Flawless Technique™. And more people will remember John Mayer than Steve Stevens.

OH to the SNAP!

Anyone who thinks they can do better than him, feel free to put your stuff in iTunes.

They had one of his concerts on TV, I watched about 15 minutes and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. He was ok, if not goofy. I've seen better locally unknowns, he should thank his lucky stars.

So give us a list of these supposedly "better" locally unknowns.

Y'know, Mayer IS really good. He's also had a coupla songs that I've liked. And I STILL don't own anything of his.

Interestingly, his millions of dollars and proven ability to manipulate damaged starlets hasn't changed this for me...

I find his personal immaturity distracting. I mean, HOW good is he? With huge numbers of similarly talented players and more consistently great songwriters out there, all vying for recognition, he presents himself as kind of a mookish media whore (see Stratacus' link, above). I could get around the character flaws, but why?

Sure. I understand that he laughs all the way to the bank, but...y'know, so does one cookie-cutter pop star after another. Not newsworthy, IMHO.

Maybe I'll watch a couple episodes of the eventual JM reality show...

I don't dislike this type of music but I prefered the likes of Matchbox 20 and Rob Thomas when they were around. They had much better songs although the style is some what similar.

This guys music does nothing to me but I prefer that the chics listen to stuff like this rather than Idol artists and other pro-tools Antares crap. At least it seems like he can play and sing

pretty good, compared to a lot of other douche bags out there.

Archived