Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Paging Serial re. Standard Korina tone cap values

JJ Paul

Hi Steve,

what is the current value of the tone control cap on the korina Standard?

I'm seriously thinking of swapping mine for a higher value as I'd like to take a bit of the edge out of it's tone (before I do something drastic like swapping pups..).

Thankyoo!

JJ Paul

I'm pretty sure it's a .001 on the new ones. Lemme check to confirm that. Pots are 500k, of course.

Yup pots will definitely be 500.

Does anybody remember the formula to calculate the cutoff frequency given the value of the capacitor?

Mumble mumble...

Thx guys...

JJ

Yup pots will definitely be 500.

Does anybody remember the formula to calculate the cutoff frequency given the value of the capacitor?

It's a lowpass filter, so cuttoff frequcency is always:

Fc = 1 / (2*Pi*R*C)

However, it's really a second order lowpass filter and you have to consider the resonant frequency of the pickup to get a true picture...

In other words, who cares? Higher values give a darker sound and, oddly enough, it isn't entirely intuitive HOW it sounds. It's best to just clip in another .01 and play to hear what a .02 sounds like, then use a .02 if you prefer that.

Screwy math!

1/(2 * 3.1415 * 500000 * 0.0001) =

1/(314.15)=0.0031831

??? what frequency is that?

I am probably using the wrong multipliers for the resistance (maybe I needed to calculate w/ 500) and for the capacitor (0.1 microfarad= 0.0001?) because a lowpass value of 318 Hz could actually be correct...

JJ

Archived