Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer-licensed Floyd Roses -are they hard to find?

zorrow

Are the Hamer-licensed Floyd Roses trems hard to find? A friend of mine is looking for a chrome one.

Are the Hamer-licensed Floyd Roses trems hard to find? A friend of mine is looking for a chrome one.

They are getting rarer to find indeed. However, if one is not fussed about not having the Hamer logo stamped on the trem itself, the Schaller LFRs should retrofit perfectly...

I tend to replace mine every 4- 5 years or so, depending on how much abuse they get, with a fresh Floyd. Such is my mania for whammy performance. Sadly, I only have black Schaller-mades, Hamer stamped or otherwise.

Ok, will ask him if black is OK -though I'm affraid his answer will be "nope", unless he's willing to replace all the rest of his chrome hardware.

I have a chrome OFR that I can sell him... I like chrome on my Harley... not on my guitars :lol:

Hamer stamped? I think this is important to him -have to ask him though.

Ok...As a non-Floyd user, I have to ask.

If you needed to replace a Floyd, wouldn't you be better served finding an Original Floyd Rose instead of a licensed model?

An original Floyd won't fit in the same route as a Schaller Floyd (which is what Hamers use). Actually, the most respected Floyd around nowadays is probably the Gotoh Floyd which is a direct retrofit for the original Floyd (but, not the Schaller). Schaller also makes a high-end Floyd called the LockMeister ( http://guitar-tremolo.com/hp316928/Schaller-Tremolo-LockMeister.htm ), but I don't think I've ever actually seen one on anything and don't know if it's available in the US.

-

Austin

Current Schallers have hardened inserts, the originals stripped out the base often. Anything labeled Hamer would not have the inserts.

Incorrect. Schaller started using the hardened inserts at some point in the 90's (I'm sure someone here knows the exact point). So there are plenty of Hamer-stamped baseplates out there.

-

Austin

Current Schallers have hardened inserts, the originals stripped out the base often. Anything labeled Hamer would not have the inserts.

Incorrect. Schaller started using the hardened inserts at some point in the 90's (I'm sure someone here knows the exact point). So there are plenty of Hamer-stamped baseplates out there.

-

Austin

Considering how few Floyded Hamers were built after the mid 1990s, I find "plenty" to be an exaggeration. Let's start with any.

-

Austin

If that's true, it must be in the late 90s then. Mine should be around the 1995 mark, as my Hamer Diablo II USA is a 1995 model. The screwholes were stripped. I ordered a brand new Schaller baseplate, and then swapped everything else onto it. Works like a charm now... :)

The Hamer/Schaller ones sound better than the original Floyd Rose ones. They are not as bright and have a little more hmpf! I think they have more metal in them, or better metal...?

The Hamer/Schaller ones sound better than the original Floyd Rose ones. They are not as bright and have a little more hmpf! I think they have more metal in them, or better metal...?

Different metal, the Schaller that we speak of has a cast alloy base plate and the OFR's and Gotoh's, and now the Schaller Lockmeister that Austin mentioned, have a sheet steel one.

Also, just as a side line, with the Lockmeister it comes with OFR type long string lock screws but it can also use the short type so you can in effect have a steel base plate floyd in the smaller cast base plate route if that's your bag. Oh, and Schaller now plate their black screws and stuff with a different material so they don't rust immediatley like they used to......very handy if you're hyperuricemic like me.

Different metal, the Schaller that we speak of has a cast alloy base plate and the OFR's and Gotoh's, and now the Schaller Lockmeister that Austin mentioned, have a sheet steel one.

Also, just as a side line, with the Lockmeister it comes with OFR type long string lock screws but it can also use the short type so you can in effect have a steel base plate floyd in the smaller cast base plate route if that's your bag. Oh, and Schaller now plate their black screws and stuff with a different material so they don't rust immediatley like they used to......very handy if you're hyperuricemic like me.

Good to know. Don't you just love a forum and it's members that keep a self-avowed Floyd whore like me in the know? :wub:

Talked to the guy. Hamer-stamped is important to him. Also, if chrome is not available, he would then consider black -it implies "just" changing the tuners and the knobs of his guitar.

So, any black Hamer-stamped FR for sale around? Good working condition, please. I don't want to look like an asshole after chanting the HFC glories to an outsider.

Well, that's ALWAYS a risk you take here, Ionel!!

:D

The only ones I have are currently sitting in diablos that I have. I'm always really gentle when adjusting intonation, as I don't want the possibility of stripping out the base plate. I mean I know there are ways to rethread the holes or drill them out for a slightly larger bolt, but I'd rather not do that.

This has just reminded me that both of my diablos have been case queens for a while now. Ooops.

I stand to be corrected but my understanding is this:

Up to 1983 Hamer used Floyd Roses that they finished themselves without fine-tuners;

1983- 1985 they used the original FR design where the posts screw into the body wood with no inserts and thinner base-plate;

1986-1989 they used the Schaller standard design with body inserts;

1989-1997 they used the Hamer-stamped Schaller Floyd Rose II and this is the one with the soft metal baseplate that strips easily.

So you are really looking for a Schaller Floyd-Rose II which may be easier to find without a Hamer logo.

The Hamer stamped Floyds have always been Schaller's top of the line Floyd Rose. The Floyd Rose II is a joke and Hamer would have never used one of those on any of their USA guitars. Now, Hamer's Slammer series is another story and did use a Hamer stamped Floyd Rose II.

The Hamer stamped Floyds have zinc blocks (not brass) and saddles (not steel) since they are OEM though... : (

Archived