Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Newport Questions

resonator48

I've been enjoying my USA 2001 Hamer Studio and now I'm interested in a Semi Hollow like the Newport. As far as neck profile, I'm not sure but I think my studio has the vintage carve. It's more of a medium carve to me. I know it's not a thin carve and definitely not a "V" carve. I really like the neck on my Studio and wondered if the Newport would be the same as my Studio. I don't like thin necks like an older Studio had that I had tried. And I definitely don't like a V carve like the Talladega had that I had tried. It had my hand fatigued within minutes of playing. Thin carve necks also fatigue my hand.

As far as sound, would you say the Newport is closer to an es335 or PRS HBii? What are the best pickups in the Newport for cleans, jazz and mild OD? I've seen that some have a Bigsby. The only guitar I've owned with a Bigsby was a Gretsch. It was not easy to keep it in tune. What should I expect to pay for a Newport that's in excellent condition? Is there anything I should look for or lookout for?

Thanks, Res

Take the Newport as is when it comes with the Phat Cats. Just turn volume and tone down to your taste. Full up it is quite rocking dirty. The Newport should be available for about +/-$1250.

The Newport should be available for about +/-$1250.

Moose listed his Newport Pro (no Bigsby) for $969 shipped and PPd, which I thought was a ridiculously low price. Offline I was informed that was an "average" price, but I'm not buying it. For that to be the case, as many NPs would have to come up for sale for $800 as $1050, and I've personally never noticed that to be the case.

Any time you're getting into a USA-made hollowbody for under a grand, you're doing extremely well. Of course, market value and the "cheap fuck" nature of us HFC types dictate that Hamer versions often can be had for less.

Res, I've got a Newport Pro with the Seth Lovers humbuckers. A Seymour Duncan PAF. The neck profile is not thin, and definitely not V. Nor is it chunky. I haven't played any other Hamers to compare it to but I would describe it as a pretty medium kind of profile.

In the hands of a real pro my guitar sounded amazing for jazz tones. In my hands not so much! He turned the tone knob down to about 5. Dunno, but there is truth to the tone coming from the hands. For basic humbucker tone it is fine. Not so 335 mellow, a lot better imo. I haven't played the PRS. For overdrive I think it sounds perfect. At least in terms of classic tones, not modern hi gain active pickup tones. The one complaint I have is that the bridge pup is harsh when the amp is dialed in for the neck pickup. Or, if I dial down the trebles for the bridge pup the neck gets muddy. The solution is to dial in for the neck and then when switching to the bridge to dial down the tone a bit. This is getting nit-picky with the guitar for sure because it is a great sounding instrument. I think if you generally prefer single coil sounds go with a P90 style pup, and if you prefer humbucker tones go with the Seth Lovers.

I find the pure nickel strings to sound better, a little richer in harmonics and a little less harsh on the bridge pup. Currently I have the D'Addario flatwounds on it and they are superb for jazzy tones. Very good clean tones and light overdrive in a tube amp.

For price, I think anything under $1k is a total steal if the guitar is in very good or better condition. A nearly-new mint guitar in the $1700 range would be an excellent buy. Something about 5 yrs old or more and in very good condition would be a buy at the $1250 range. I am not a price expert, and these are what I would call a great value to buy at. If I were selling I would be looking for a several hundred more to feel I got a decent price.

I'm not having large hands, but the Newport's neck fits perfectly. The top is thicker than you'd expect on a hollow body. The resonance still is great with the spruce top.

Any non-custom Hamer after 1999 should have a fairly meaty neck carve. I'm not a fan of Bigsbies, but if you can get used to how they change the string tension they can be made to work decently. I found the Newport to have quite a bit more twang than a 335. I'm not familiar with the HBii, though, so I can't compare against that.

A while back I saw a pic posted of the carve of the back inside the Newport. Can anyone re-post this picture?

Thanks.

binnenkantnewport.jpg

Moose listed his Newport Pro (no Bigsby) for $969 shipped and PPd, which I thought was a ridiculously low price. Offline I was informed that was an "average" price, but I'm not buying it. For that to be the case, as many NPs would have to come up for sale for $800 as $1050, and I've personally never noticed that to be the case.

I chose "average" on that based on past sales and ebay listings. Hard to tell, though, as they don't come up as often. Cheapest I found in TSO was $900, but that was before shipping. Ones with bigsbys go for over a grand on fleabay, so that's where I based the comment.

That said, I've "sold" the damned thing twice and both deals have been cancelled! I even got the money once, and he cancelled it after I'd boxed it up and dropped the package with the shipping guy where I worked, literally about 4 hours before it would have been on its way, so it's back up for sale.

Probably best that way as I don't want to rip anyone off or have someone unhappy having to flip a guitar they don't want, but it is a little frustrating to have a guitar that good (and the other vintage orange newport that Tonefiend listed as well, which is well worth the asking price) listed that cheap. Newports are just too good for the price the command, which makes them the quintessential example of a used Hamer, I guess.

As for the original post, I've played three early 2000 vintage Newports. All were "modern" neck carve, which is a moderate C, not as beefy on the shoulders or as thick at the back as the Vintage carve, but thick enough to be comfortable for those of us who don't like the razor thin necks anymore. I suppose you could get them Vintage necked, as well, so you have to ask if you want to be sure.

Seths are one of the most basic tones for Humbucker/PAF style. They're a little more open sounding than the '59s and nowhere near as punchy as the JBs in a studio, and they go from warm to clean and clear. Great for jazz, blues, rock, etc... and very much in the classic 335 mold, though the guitar is livelier and maybe a little more touch-sensitive than a 335 for sure. Especially the ones with Spruce tops, which are more resonant than maple.

The PhatCats are meant to be like a P90 in a humbucker space, so those are supposed to cop more of a 535 feel, but the phatcat is actually a bit spankier than the P90s in the gibson. Still has some single coil charm, though.

Crap, wish mine wasn't in a box so I could play it now.

Played mine through a Silvertone yesterday evening. Direct in, no effects, just pure tubes. Fantastic growling, rocking, jazzing, bluesing. It was a joy to play. Phat Cats are in. What a versatile guitar!

I chose "average" on that based on past sales and ebay listings. Hard to tell, though, as they don't come up as often. Cheapest I found in TSO was $900, but that was before shipping. Ones with bigsbys go for over a grand on fleabay, so that's where I based the comment.

Actually, I was referring to someone else saying it was "an average price," not that it was "the average price." I content that yours is an exceptional price.

Archived