Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One for the giggers - backup plan

carfish7

Question

So, I may be joining the ranks of the gigging musicians again after a long layoff and have been pondering how best to gear up. The Hamers are a given, but I need a backup plan in case my amp takes a dump on me mid-show. I do have a little Laney LC15 1x10 combo that I lOVE the sound of, but have to think that some sort of floor processor might do the trick and save abuse to the Laney. I do have a TC Nova System that has a speaker sim program but have never tried it through a full-range setup. Maybe that would suffice? I have to think something that is also geared towards direct recording would offer better tones into a full-range setup though. POD? Laptop running Guitar Rig? I have played gigs with guys using those Vox Tonelab rigs and they seem to sound damn good straight into the P.A. too, but they are kinda big.......

It will take all I can summon strength-wise to tote "The Beast" (Mesa Heartbreaker combo) around to shows, so the smaller and lighter the better. Cheap is good, too.

Thanks!

+1 on power block - never had to use it but good to know its there. I also stash spare tubes in gig bag (in small pieces of PVC to protect them) just in case - last Friday I busted an el84 setting up at the gig by tugging on the Classic 30 (great grab n' go amp for smaller venues) power cord which was stuck around a tube & spare to the rescue!

I just sold off my Nova System, to offset the cost of a POD 500HD, as much as I miss that compression and chorus, I love the ease of setup with the POD. I have banks for direct and banks with an amp.

You got my number, I gotta go, baby's cryin' if I can I'll get back to you here.

call anytime!

Agree on the Power Block......Even picked up a second (long ago) when some retailer was blowing them out (new) for $50. Certainly not a tube amp, but with a decent preamp or multi-efx it can do a very good job with little weight or hassle. And an easy way to tote a backup.

[quote name=tmsfo" post="601509" time="1352928057]I've got a GK 250ML that I tote around for an emergency. Size of a lunch box, loud as f**k, will drive a 4x12 no problem and has a XLR out. Lacks bottom end with the stock speakers but you could beef it up through a PA. It even sounds ok.

As an added familiarity bonus, isn't it also the same weight as your primary rig? I recall those little guys being beastly heavy (long before class D amps were mainstream).

Sorry to resurrect, but I've used the 44 Magnum's little brother and it sounds surprisingly good. I had a power tube go bad at a jam and fell back to the 22 Caliber. Not a lot of clean headroom but, per Ben's comment, it fits right into your rig (sans effects loop though) and sounded and felt really good. My drummer buddy was almost speechless. He's got good dynamics control, but we were able to rock hard enough to need ear plugs on some pretty heavy material through a 212.

I guess now the question is who makes a class D portable guitar amp with an effects loop and a fair preamp section for folks who aren't using a distortion pedal in their main rig? Maybe the answer is a modeler's preamp outs into that power amp. :D

You should buy an SVT. I don't know how many gigs I've been too, or watched clips on YouTube, where you can spot an SVT, and no backup. They only weigh something like 90 pounds. Nice, and light.

Are they only 90 pounds? lol

You should buy an SVT. I don't know how many gigs I've been too, or watched clips on YouTube, where you can spot an SVT, and no backup. They only weigh something like 90 pounds. Nice, and light.

Kiz - Ampeg makes 3 SVT old school heads.. the weight is actually 80 or 85 depending on which you buy. How do I know this you ask? I'm a dumb ass and am actually considering buying one.... after I believe I said "never again" unless I had a road crew, lol.

Kiz - Ampeg makes 3 SVT old school heads.. the weight is actually 80 or 85 depending on which you buy. How do I know this you ask? I'm a dumb ass and am actually considering buying one.... after I believe I said "never again" unless I had a road crew, lol.

I have one! I was joking that they're "only" 90 pounds because I almost dropped a nut lifting it.

Well, SVTs ARE between 85-90 lbs, but with all the extra bottom rawk they contain, there's at least another 50-60 lbs every time you pick one up.

usually have a Power Block and a POD stashed in the car in case of emergency when we (seldom) gig. Poor tone still beats silence (but not by much lol).

This is good advice. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you play through if you're just trying to make an audience happy... they don't know the difference between a POD or hand-wired boutique amp. Make it as easy on yourself as you can, while keeping yourself reasonably satisfied with your tone.

Get you a used Crate Power Block and run it through the Mesa's speakers if the need arises.

I can't for the life of me understand:

1) Why Crate discontinued it and

2) Why every amp maker out there isn't making one and marketing it as the ultimate ass-saver.

Inexpensive, 4-1/2 lbs., powerful, compact, what's not to like? Class D technology continues to improve every year. Even in high end audio, several of the chi-chi boutique makers have class D offerings, and some have switched entirely to Class D or nearly so. The most recent iterations are sometimes compared to tube amps for their transparent midrange and smooth treble.

After MCChris's post, there must be at least a dozen "me too" and "+1" posts for the Crate Power Block. It had really cool styling too.

Archived