Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Well, it was fun....... but it's over.

BCR Greg

It is, indeed, sad.

But if we are to look for a silver lining, let me ask this of Greg.

One thing that I always appreciated about Greg's presence here was his incredible knowledge about building/repairing and his ability to promote the 'underdog' for lack of a better word. So, Greg, who are the other smaller shops that impress you?

Marc

Greg was thinking Baker, GMP and Robin...;P

I now await the arrival of another in-the-know HFCer to report that this is all preliminary.

Anyone that makes that claim would be incorrect.

Drag. :( Are there plans for continuing warranty/product support (sorry if this has been answered...)? Hamer service has always been money in the bank.

If not, any liquidation of parts stock?

Lot's of knowledge/experience /talent/ quality wood stock and proven design at risk of being scattered . Hard to put it all together to start with. It takes an irrational commitment that has little to do with profit. Best wishes for the crew from an appreciative fan !!!!

Probably not a good thing but I'm more bummed about this bit of news than I was at my mum-in-law's funeral today. Fuck.

Probably not a good thing but I'm more bummed about this bit of news than I was at my mum-in-law's funeral today. Fuck.

I'm assuming that's because your mother-in-law never felt or sounded as good as a Hamer? (sorry - no disrespect - just funnin') ;)

It's my fault. I've owned five now, but have never purchased one new. I'm sure the vestiges of those high output years will be around for a while. Too bad about custom orders, I was hoping to afford one one day.

It is, indeed, sad.

One thing that I always appreciated about Greg's presence here was his incredible knowledge about building/repairing and his ability to promote the 'underdog' for lack of a better word. So, Greg, who are the other smaller shops that impress you?

Marc

Earlier this evening he was feeling a bit like the Angel of Death. Every time he gets behind a brand big time, it dies.

I'd just like to give a shout to all of the dealers who have worked so hard to promote the brand and who have taken a personal interest in getting these fine instruments into our hands over the years. It's a slug in the gut for me, so I can hardly imagine what it's like for them.

When Fender goes bankrupt thanks to Guitar Center, the name will be available again as a liquated asset.

Or someone could buy it tomorrow simply by ponying up enough cash. In business, everything's for sale, and everything has a price. Everything.

Commentary to the contrary is naivete at best and outright horseshit at worst.

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I always check posts on this board. As someone who was deeply involved with Hamer for many years and who owns a stack of them, this news is not unexpected but sad nonetheless. As soon as fender bought KMC, the writing was on the wall.

I will keep my Hamers and continue to play and record with them. I've always believed them to be one of the finest electric guitars ever built.

I would hope the community here will keep the flame burning....

Sad, yes, but not nearly as sad as the brand being whored out. I'd take this as a indication of our increased responsibility as caretakers of the marque.

Caretakers of the marque? When they start making Charvels with Gibson type specs?

This was their redhedded step child that they never wanted and have finally kicked out of the house. Not happy to say this either as things were lining up for me to put in a call to a Hamer dealer given their recent change of heart on CO. Fuck, indeed.

^^^This.

Why would FMIC decide to go with the Charvel brand to sell Gibson-y guitars, when they had a brand name in-house that was already in that direction, AND had a much higher quality reputation?

I know it was coming, i just wasn't expecting it so soon....

Best guitars i've ever held in my hands...

I know this is naive, but i always thought that if there was a very popular musician sporting a Hamer live on tv and talking about it, maybe the brand would have a chance...someone huge...is a wishful thinking but i think that could (have) made the difference...

Let's hope that Fender is willing to let go or to revive it if the brand somehow becomes popular again...

I got beautiful used Hamers, i knew that when i get what i wanted i would stop buying, i just regret not acquiring a Californian Elite, already pretty expensive compared to others before this news...

then again...why despair...don't loose hope, everything is negotiable, let's see what happens

I'll be buying at least one copy of serial's book for sure...

it's pretty sad....

Not much to add to what's been said already. This sucks, indeed. :(

I don't think that 2013 is gonna be a very good year for electric guitar manufacturing (or anything associated with it) in general, there's too many things gone wrong with the current business model for it to be sustainable for long. All of which have already been mentioned here on this forum. Hamer is just one domino...which is owned by Fender, which has lots of other dominoes that could fall down, too. Same thing goes for Gibson.

Sad end of an era (several, actually).

I had always hoped that I would get to pay a visit to the Hamer workshop.

Closest I got was a visit to Ovation, in the late eighties. Beautiful setting for building guitars.

Does anyone know if they kept many replacement parts on hand?

I've long been deliberating about adding a tortoiseshell 'guard to my '93 Special. They seem to elevate the appearance of those somewhat nondescript models, I think.

Maybe it just makes them look a little more familiar, as they then look slightly closer to Gibson's '59-'61 Specials, when a pickguard is added.

How 'bout a heads-up if they have a garage sale? I went to Kramer's, but it was hardly the somber affair that this would be, as there was never a whole lotta guitar building going on in that particular facility!

Anyway, thanks to the Hamer crew for crafting such amazing, inspiring instruments.

"Earlier this evening he was feeling a bit like the Angel of Death. Every time he gets behind a brand big time, it dies."

Wait, is Greg not high on Nik Huber now?

Well, honestly, I haven't been this sad in a long time. When I first read the post, I thought BCR had closed. I called BCRGreg himself and while I was dialing, I read his post and my heart sank.

Yes, most of us had a good idea it was coming. Just when "it" would come was the one factor no one knew. Fender is in trouble and shuttling Hamer USA for whatever period of time is just hard to swallow - pride is a bitch!

As a long time Hamer USA Guitar owner, for me, a real rock and roll guitar era has come to an end. Apparently effective December 1st Hamer USA has been sent to the Island of Misfit Guitars.

The guitar market is in the toilet.

Guitar Center has been downgraded so many times, Moody's is asking the SEC to allow a lower classification than bottom feeder.

Gibson has discounted their current new inventory so much Groupon won't touch it. it is now cheaper to buy a new Les Paul than a used Les Paul on Ebay.

Fender like Gibson is underwater due to their "blind allegiance" to the big box concept. Greed and stupidity are dangerous bed-fellows.

FMIC has done what everyone knew would happen - "hammering" Hamer USA Guitars into oblivion like many other brands FMIC have purchased. The only sure thing is someone will eventually buy Hamer however, that doesn't mean it will ever be the same. (I can think of many brands that eventually get sold in the music business and come back - Fender is no stranger to that phenomena).

My eyes are tearing up as I type this so; "Proshyai" Palatine, "Aloha" Arlington Heights, and now "Näkemiin" New Hartford! No matter how you say it, it is hard to "Say Goodbye."

The good news is like Matt Smith stated - I hope each of you will continue to hold the Hamer Banner High!

Hamerica

It is, indeed, sad.

Marc

At one time, those three brands were 40% of my income, so forgive me if I don't find this funny.

Archived