Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Well, it was fun....... but it's over.

BCR Greg

At the present volume a direct to market concept is the only way, similar to make boutique builders or Fractal Audio.

The expense of running salesmen around to put product on shelves, advertise and attend NAMM doesn't work at a guitar a day. Not to mention recapturing the 20% dealer cut.

Also get rid of inflated MSRP, don't charge more for boomerangs over crowns, red more than black and you might be able to recoup the brand.

Not going to say what I thought when I saw this. Not going to say it. But I will say that your understanding of this brand is not complete.

You are a dealer so of course you are always going to side on the concept dealers are necessary. When you go to lawyer for his opinion, invariably his suggestion is to sue. When you speak to a surgeon, he recommends surgery.

You have no idea what I do and don't know, so do't assume you are more knowledgeable on the subject.

With all due respect, I don't care what you do. I have sold more full custom spec Hamers than you will ever see, and each one was labor intensive. Hamers do not sell themselves. Custom guitars require a lot of back and forth to get specced. Unless you ARE a Hamer dealer, your opinion is not based on fact.

Murkat....how's that?

Now without checking the Hamer website the only endorser I can name is Kev from Hell.

Thanks for noticing, Rich :) And as I've said before within these hallowed columns - I'm only on that list because I asked Frank H if he'd put me on there - which he did. I did it because I love these guitars and I'm proud to be seen wearing one - which I bought and paid for with my own hard-earned. But I agree with everyone who says this has been a matter of 'when' - not 'if'.

To me, it also ties in quite significantly with the 'guitar mogul' thread as follows......

I hold myself personally responsible for generating sales of at least 20 Standards - bought exclusively by young fans who have contacted me, and asked me about the cool black guitar they've seen me play. They've saved their money and bought one off ebay or wherever, and at least half of them have sent me pictures of their guitars, fitted out with the same chrome pickup rings as mine etc. etc. etc. And you know what - they've all bought XT's. They bought them because their budget is $300, not $5000. Some of these kids have had their woodworking Dads rout for a licensed Floyd - and at least two of them have also taken a belt sander to the underside of the oversized XT headstock to make it look more like a 'proper' Standard. One kid spent three whole days with masking tape and paint, putting fake binding all the way up the fretboard edges and around the headstock.........

And this kinda stuff tells me that if 20 kids are prepared to do this because of me (a relative nobody) - then the Jacksons, ESP's and Deans of this world, blowing outrageous sums of money giving away free guitars to anyone even remotely famous - have got it totally right. It's money well spent, because these low-cost import versions of Guitar X are aspirational products at a totally affordable price.

I did it myself. My first 'proper' guitar was a doublecut cherry red Les Paul Special. I bought it because Pat Travers played one and I wanted to be like him. Before that, I had a maple-necked Strat copy because I wanted to be like Robin Trower. I also had a black Flying V because I wanted to be like Michael Schenker. The same holds true in any other industry you can care to mention. Anyone here remember the Honda FS-1E? It was a 50cc moped - but it sold in its zillions because it was the world's first moped which looked like a proper motorcycle.

The sad fact is that the damage was done years ago - the lack of foresight and unwillingness to capitalise on the brand's relative success in the '80's has well and truly come home to roost. I just read this back and I realise that I've wandered off on a pointless rant. I guess that's what folks do when they're upset about a situation - but they know there's nothing they can do to change it....

At the present volume a direct to market concept is the only way, similar to make boutique builders or Fractal Audio.

The expense of running salesmen around to put product on shelves, advertise and attend NAMM doesn't work at a guitar a day. Not to mention recapturing the 20% dealer cut.

Also get rid of inflated MSRP, don't charge more for boomerangs over crowns, red more than black and you might be able to recoup the brand.

Not going to say what I thought when I saw this. Not going to say it. But I will say that your understanding of this brand is not complete.

You are a dealer so of course you are always going to side on the concept dealers are necessary. When you go to lawyer for his opinion, invariably his suggestion is to sue. When you speak to a surgeon, he recommends surgery.

You have no idea what I do and don't know, so do't assume you are more knowledgeable on the subject.

With all due respect, I don't care what you do. I have sold more full custom spec Hamers than you will ever see, and each one was labor intensive. Hamers do not sell themselves. Custom guitars require a lot of back and forth to get specced. Unless you ARE a Hamer dealer, your opinion is not based on fact.

Murkat....how's that?

Your not going to have to worry about that anymore are you? Might as well remove that Hamer Authoized Dealer from your avatar.

Myka or Schroeder seem to be able to do it without dealers.

I hold myself personally responsible for generating sales of at least 20 Standards - bought exclusively by young fans who have contacted me, and asked me about the cool black guitar they've seen me play. They've saved their money and bought one off ebay or wherever, and at least half of them have sent me pictures of their guitars, fitted out with the same chrome pickup rings as mine etc. etc. etc. And you know what - they've all bought XT's. They bought them because their budget is $300, not $5000. Some of these kids have had their woodworking Dads rout for a licensed Floyd - and at least two of them have also taken a belt sander to the underside of the oversized XT headstock to make it look more like a 'proper' Standard. One kid spent three whole days with masking tape and paint, putting fake binding all the way up the fretboard edges and around the headstock.........

If you personally know of 20, you know it is more than 20.

The sad fact is that the damage was done years ago - the lack of foresight and unwillingness to capitalise on the brand's relative success in the '80's has well and truly come home to roost.

That's exactly what I meant.

BTW, Kev, I was actually talking about people like you, Frank Aresti, Glen Tipton and other known players that play Hamers because they like them, and not because they get paid to do so.

Murkat....how's that?

Your not going to have to worry about that anymore are you? Might as well remove that Hamer Authoized Dealer from your avatar.

Yeah, I guess the admins will have to do that. The exact point of this thread. Now let's talk about the rich histopry of Myka or Shroeder, and how they helped Hamer by creating a market.

"history". I type poorly when pushed by anonymous blowhards.

If any of my local dealers carried their products or had turned me onto them, I wouldn't have had to google Myka and Schroeder to figure out who/what they were. Both sound like one man operations, so not comparable to Hamer.

If any of my local dealers carried their products or had turned me onto them, I wouldn't have had to google Myka and Schroeder to figure out who/what they were. Both sound like one man operations, so not comparable to Hamer.

Hamer was producing a guitar a month, they are doing at least doubt that.

Hamer was producing a guitar a month, they are doing at least doubt that.

You're not comparing apples with apples here. And clearly you don't know as much as you think you do.

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/myka

Anyway, back to the teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling, etc...

-

Austin

I did it myself. My first 'proper' guitar was a doublecut cherry red Les Paul Special. I bought it because Pat Travers played one and I wanted to be like him. Before that, I had a maple-necked Strat copy because I wanted to be like Robin Trower. I also had a black Flying V because I wanted to be like Michael Schenker. The same holds true in any other industry you can care to mention. Anyone here remember the Honda FS-1E? It was a 50cc moped - but it sold in its zillions because it was the world's first moped which looked like a proper motorcycle.

I'm totally with you. I bought my first guitar, because I love Cheap Trick from my youth times on until today. And it was a MIK.

Hindsight is 20-20 and worth what you pay for it. And nobody pays for hindsight. A little respect for those that actually had skin in the game is warranted here. That would be Greg and Elduave. The fact that they don't find the post-mortems all that entertaining doesn't escape most of us.

Hindsight is 20-20 and worth what you pay for it. And nobody pays for hindsight. A little respect for those that actually had skin in the game is warranted here. That would be Greg and Elduave. The fact that they don't find the post-mortems all that entertaining doesn't escape most of us.

A little respect for those that actually had skin in the game is warranted here. That would be Greg and Elduave. The fact that they don't find the post-mortems all that entertaining doesn't escape most of us.

+1

Greg started the thread. If he or anyone else didn't expect what this thread has become, then I don't know what to tell you.

I expected little and got what I expected. My purpose was to inform the masses of what I had just been told on the phone, nothing more. You can't keep assholes out of a free park.

I expected little and got what I expected. My purpose was to inform the masses of what I had just been told on the phone, nothing more. You can't keep assholes out of a free park.

Greg articulates my thoughts. Tact be damned.

I still love my Jon Kammerer guitars.

The headstock may need getting used to for some, but his guitars have amazing craftsmanship, and he'll do a complete custom for far less than Hamer. I imagine you could get him to do a very close replica to a Californian, complete with Boomers. But he has his own body styles, and they are very comfortable to play and sound great.

The economy has been hurting him, tho, so he could use some business.

His contact info is:

222 Timea Street Keokuk, IA 52632

(319) 526-7651

You can't keep assholes out of a free park.

From now on, i'm calling my underwear, the "free park". But, there's only an asshole in them when i wear them.

:)

Wait, i mean... Oh - that works, too. :)

I guess the same would apply to my shirts then, too...

Yes, Myka and Schroeder guitars are both really nice. However, they really can't be compared to Hamer, at all. Myka is a one man operation. Schroeder, as far as I can tell, is two. I don't see how that compares with Hamer at all, except maybe in the EARLY days, but even then I think there were a bunch of people. It grew out of Paul Hamer's guitar repair shop, right?

Jol still makes guitars, and after all, wasn't he one half of the real Hamer? Why not buy now from him, the real deal? Or is the decal that says "Hamer" more important?

Clearly you haven't priced out any of the guitars Jol's making now! :lol:

-

Austin

Jol still makes guitars, and after all, wasn't he one half of the real Hamer? Why not buy now from him, the real deal? Or is the decal that says "Hamer" more important?

Clearly you haven't priced out any of the guitars Jol's making now! :lol:

-

Austin

Seriously - they are going for close to 10X the price of a tricked out custom order Hamer. Good luck with that...

Archived