Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Well, it was fun....... but it's over.

BCR Greg

I... just... can't... help.... myself...

from computer history website cited above... the year 1990...

" Microsoft released Windows amid a $10 million publicity blitz.... ...As a result, PCs moved toward the user-friendly concepts of the Macintosh, making IBM and IBM-compatible computers more popular. "

from the Wikipedia page I cited:

" Beginning in 1979, started by Steve Jobs and led by Jef Raskin, the Apple Lisa and Macintosh teams at Apple Computer (which included former members of the Xerox PARC group) continued to develop such ideas. The Macintosh, released in 1984, was the first commercially successful product to use a multi-panel window GUI. "

Steve Jobs Time Magazine cover 1982

Bill Gates Time Magazine cover 1984

sorry, Gates does not begat Jobs, he took an idea and made it more available, no doubt.

To give full credit to LucSulla, Charles Babbage's great niece is quite a hottie...

Period.

@ robbie that what I intended to say but you said it well.

They are both responsible. Jobs had many of the ideas first, But Gates had the MUCH better execution of the ideas. We wouldn't be where we are without both of them.

Jobs changed the world, Fender changed music... regardless of the inevitable distortions, right or wrong, long from now they will be remembered for what they made and not how they made it... period. :D

Let's get one thing straight: Gates changed the world, Jobs followed a distant second for decades. It is the 20 and 30-somethings that are too young to remember this fact and have held Jobs up to the God-like status he currently holds (even posthumously).

It was Bill Gates' dream that everyone would have a computer in their homes at a time what this was simply ludicrous. This is what brought Internet into every home.

You can debate that Jobs improved on Gates' ideas, but that's not the point.

The reason we are all here discussing anything on a message board in the first place is because of Bill Gates.

Jobs stole the computer mouse from xerox in or around 1976. Apple and Jobs created Apple I and II by 1977 and built the first GUI based interface for a computer some years later in 1983. The lisa was a colossal failure.

Lisa failed in the marketplace, not because people didn't want it, but because it cost $10K. But it showed the way, and a year later the affordable Macintosh came out with a similar mouse-driven GUI. The Macintosh set the standard for GUI-based PCs for the rest of the '80s. One reason for this is that Apples were always based on graphics-friendly CPUs and were pretty responsive, while the Intel MPUs of the PCs and clones were largely designed with character-based interfaces in mind. Microsoft had been trying to crack the GUI market with Windows going back to the mid '80s, but the 80286 just barely had the horsepower to do it. It wasn't until the introduction of 80386-based MPUs and Windows 3.0 (and really, 3.1 and 3.11) before Windows as an OS really took off in the early '90s. Before that the PC hardware wasn't up to it. They also made a very bold move during this period when IBM recruited them to help create an official IBM-sanctioned GUI OS called OS/2. After futzing with it for awhile, MS had the balls to walk away from IBM to go their own way and create Windows instead.

"IBM created the first [iBM PC] computer in 1981 running ms-dos created by Bill Gates."

The DOS that became MS-DOS was created by Seattle Computer Products. Microsoft bought the rights to SCP's DOS operating system and ported it to the IBM PC just prior to the launch of the IBM PC. Before this very strategic move, Microsoft was mostly a maker of programming language compilers--BASIC, Fortran, COBOL, and Pascal. They had also created a version of Unix for the current crop of 8080/Z80 computers called Xenix, but the introduction of the IBM PC completely changed the market. At that time the major players in the 8080/Z80-based personal computers were MicroPro, makers of WordStar word processor, Software Arts' VisiCalc, a spreadsheet, and Digital Research (DR), makers of C/PM and M/PM, the overwhelmingly dominant operating system of the 8-bit personal computers. When the IBM PC came out, several operating systems were available for it. DR cut their own throats by charging over $200 for their C/PM-86 OS, while PC-DOS, whose interface and command set were very similar to C/PM, was only about $25. With that aggressive pricing, Microsoft gave up short-term profits for long-term market share. It was a brilliant move, but as with many of Microsoft's brilliant moves, it was more about leverage than innovation.

http://www.thocp.net/companies/microsoft/microsoft%5Fcompany.htm

The next phase was the DOS era from 1981 to roughly 1991. During this time Microsoft expanded mightily thanks to being the 95+% OS of choice on all PCs and clones. But when it came to applications, other companies dominated: WordPerfect superseded WordStar in word processing (MS Word was available but the big WP players were Word Perfect and MultiMate), Lotus 1-2-3 superseded VisiCalc for spreadsheets, and Ashton-Tate dominated databases with DB III and variants.
Once Windows really took off in the '90s, Microsoft once again leveraged its position to undercut the competition via bundling with the creation of Microsoft Office. Whereas Word Perfect was around $250 and so was Lotus 1-2-3, Microsoft bundled Word, Excel Spreadsheet, and PowerPoint for around $200-250 total. It was THIS move that presented a no-brainer to corporate accounts, and MS strengthened their position over the years by bundling more things with Office. Pretty soon Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3 were irrelevant in the Windows world. They tried to partner up to offer their own bundle, but it was too little, too late.
Again, this was a brilliant move, but it was more about bundling and leverage than innovation, though I gotta admit I was quite smitten by Word 2.0 for Windows 3.1. The novelty wore off for me over time as the initial bugs and limitations persisted through several major releases, but that's another story.

Some years ago I heard a Jobs bio audio book. There in saying it was Jobs who actually had the contract for the IBM PC with the Next OS before Gates came into play with DOS. It had been a management move that finally made DOS the formal OS for the PC. Jobs got payed and went his way.

We could have saved a lot of time and hassle though.

sorry, Gates does not begat Jobs, he took an idea and made it more available, no doubt.

Sorry sorry, but you made my point.

Gates knew how to make it available to everyone, while Jobs kept his software and hardware proprietary,

Gates > Jobs.

Gates > Jobs.

Nu-UHHH!

WOW!!! This thread is about to surpass the boobies thread in # of pages! And that's w/o all those pics. Jeepers Wally!!!

Boobies you want? Gates vs Jobs? Or maybe Paul Allen vs Steve Ballmer?

WOW!!! This thread is about to surpass the boobies thread in # of pages! And that's w/o all those pics. Jeepers Wally!!!

We certainly need more boobs then.

Well, 41 pages isn't exactly 104, but it took the Boobies thread almost two years to get to page 41. This thread is only 3 months old (to the day!).

Well, 41 pages isn't exactly 104, but it took the Boobies thread almost two years to get to page 41. This thread is only 3 months old (to the day!).

Really, Caddie... What were you thinking?

Hang your head.

Hang your head.

:D

Hang your head.

:D

Hey caddie,

Your scorecard has a bunch of 3s & 4s on it. So how did you do THAT while losing 5 golf balls?

Uhhhh... yeah. I got the next round of beers guys.

Cheers

caddie

Soooooooo.... Back on topic a bit.

One of the things Hamer did a very good job at was getting their hands on some pretty fine hunks of wood. The rumor was that they still had a pretty select stash of top shelf pieces when Fender pulled the plug.

Question is, for those that are "on the inside", "in the know", "have the lowdown", the "411", the "skinny", the "deep poop"... (have i annoyed you yet?)

What happened to all the "good wood?" Did Fender move it to the custom shop? Did it stay in the factory and will be used on Guild guitars?

Just curious and shtuff.

Tnx

One of the things Hamer did a very good job at was getting their hands on some pretty fine hunks of wood. The rumor was that they still had a pretty select stash of top shelf pieces when Fender pulled the plug.

Question is, for those that are "on the inside", "in the know", "have the lowdown", the "411", the "skinny", the "deep poop"... (have i annoyed you yet?)

What happened to all the "good wood?" Did Fender move it to the custom shop? Did it stay in the factory and will be used on Guild guitars?

Just curious and shtuff.

Tnx

+1, I'm curious about that as well! Hamer ALWAYS had a great stash of woods. Look at Gibson, they've been reduced to using multi-piece Mahogany bodies and two ply Rosewood fretboards on a lot of their guitars in very recent years, they've had to save their one piece woods for the primo expensive gear. Not that those Fed raids helped in any way, BTW.

Once Windows really took off in the '90s, Microsoft once again leveraged its position to undercut the competition via bundling with the creation of Microsoft Office. Whereas Word Perfect was around $250 and so was Lotus 1-2-3, Microsoft bundled Word, Excel Spreadsheet, and PowerPoint for around $200-250 total. It was THIS move that presented a no-brainer to corporate accounts, and MS strengthened their position over the years by bundling more things with Office. Pretty soon Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3 were irrelevant in the Windows world. They tried to partner up to offer their own bundle, but it was too little, too late.
Again, this was a brilliant move, but it was more about bundling and leverage than innovation, though I gotta admit I was quite smitten by Word 2.0 for Windows 3.1. The novelty wore off for me over time as the initial bugs and limitations persisted through several major releases, but that's another story.

I gotta disagree here. MS Office wasn't just bundled - it was integrated. A huge benefit for corporations was the fact that you could easily link live data from one application to another. Your word processing reports could have data linked from spreadsheets and databases. Update the spreadsheet and the report updates as well. I used to use it all the time.

I was a Wordperfect user for years, but Wordperfect definitely played catchup when the PC world jumped to MS Windows. Wordperfect 6.0 was their first real attempt at WYSIWIG but by then Word and Office had too strong a foothold. I remember Wordpress being bundled with Quattropro at one point, too little too late.

Just curious and shtuff.

Tnx

I was at Sam Ash last weekend, and the salesman was talking about all the great flame tops on Fender's new "Select" Series, or what ever it's called. That right there may answer your question...

Edited to add: Yep, here ya go... http://www.fender.com/series/fender-select/

Archived