Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Well, it was fun....... but it's over.

BCR Greg

Soooooooo.... Back on topic a bit.

One of the things Hamer did a very good job at was getting their hands on some pretty fine hunks of wood. The rumor was that they still had a pretty select stash of top shelf pieces when Fender pulled the plug.

Question is, for those that are "on the inside", "in the know", "have the lowdown", the "411", the "skinny", the "deep poop"... (have i annoyed you yet?)

What happened to all the "good wood?" Did Fender move it to the custom shop? Did it stay in the factory and will be used on Guild guitars?

Just curious and shtuff.

Tnx

I was at Sam Ash last weekend, and the salesman was talking about all the great flame tops on Fender's new "Select" Series, or what ever it's called. That right there may answer your question...

Edited to add: Yep, here ya go... http://www.fender.com/series/fender-select/

That tobacco burst (4th from the left in the first rotating pic) looks strikingly "Hamer".

Fender raped and pillaged - that wood was gone very quickly.

I wonder, when Fender came to pack up the wood, if it went anything like this?

I dunno about Fender's "Select Series" getting the woods from Hamer's stash...rosewood fretboards? Maybe. Figured maple tops? Maybe (and I'd bet they'll cut them as thin as possible). The mahogany? Not for the "Select Series" so far, the bodies are all either alder, ash, or "Empress" (paulownia). For something else, apparently...but what?

That "inset" rosewood fretboard that the "Select Series" uses makes me wonder if THAT isn't a cost-saving action, as far as the rosewood goes...maple is cheaper than rosewood and a lot more "renewable", and you can't tell how thick the rosewood fingerboard is in that neck. Also, witness that Fender has started putting a lot of "round laminated" rosewood fingerboards on some of their CS reissues, instead of the thicker "slab" rosewood fingerboards. Granted, "round laminated" rosewood fingerboards ARE period-correct for pretty much any '60's reissue (Fender originally started using them in late '62, because supposedly necks with "slab" boards were prone to warpage. Yeah, that doesn't quite make sense to me, either.), but I'm still suspicious. Especially since Gibson is making do with two-ply rosewood fretboards, either out of necessity or to cut costs, or both.

Archived