Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bubs_42

Come on Brent are we ashamed?

Cynic,

Your post is like a waiter telling a patron that left a small tip that he didn't tip enough.

Sometime around 2004 or so, HFCer rjoseph33 put the word out that there's a mahogany Standard in a local pawshop priced at the HFC "special" ($350) which he offered to get for a HFC broseph33, in case anyone was interested. Edgar Alan Poe (the HFC member) was first to take him up on this offer. I was one of the 20-odd runners up. About a year or so later, he had a big Hamer sell-off to fund a new Baker and put it up for sale here at the then HFC "standard" price ($900) for a 2-piece STDMAH. I bought it and enjoyed that guitar immensely until Sir Dan did the unthinkable and put BlackBart up for sale. An ebay $1 NR auction netted me $1100 - from a HFC heavyweight coincidentally.

Brent is the best thing that happened to the used Hamer market since the big dogs (like the one who bought the aforementioned STDMAH) stopped playing.

Y U B actin' like a brother done did somethin' wrong cause he got his game tight?

Bad form posting the topic to begin with. We've had a long standing rule saying don't shit on a for sale thread. This topic is in fact doing that (be it good natured or not), and should have been left at arms length, especially seeing as the seller had the foresight to avoid the forum entirely. Course, I ain't perfect, but that's my take. I think I've even been in bubs position before.

There isn't anywhere in our HFC rules of conduct that dictates that a seller has to pass along his/her good fortune on a deal to all others. I don't believe for a second that ANYBODY here would buy something cheap, and then not flip it 10 minutes later if they could make a 50% profit. That Brent buys and flips guitars more than some people change underwear isn't new to anybody here, nor is it morally, socially, ethically "wrong". As has been said in this thread by many others, good for him if he can make a dime on a gear sale right now. He didn't take advantage of the Ebay seller, and that was a deal that was 100% okay with that seller. We can't judge that, really, and I took Bubs' post as good natured ribbing when I read it. It was VERY clear to me that there is no way in hell Brent would have offered that guitar here for $800 more than he paid for it for that very reason. I'm sure that there are Heritage guitars ar EBMMs that he wouldn't list on those respective forums for the same reason. That's life, and unless he is ripping somebody off here or misrepresenting something, we aren't getting involved.
That being said, there is a long history of people here passing along great deals without making a dime. Many here have, and still do, operate that way - I've done it many times as well. That's a personal choice, and it isn't any more or less "right". The sense of "community" here has been strong for 15 years, and sometimes, people have come to expect that from others. There are many newer people who just don't have that sense of things, and again, there's nothing wrong with that, they just haven't been around long enough to have that history. The rest of us who still feel that way need to understand that, and can continue as they see fit, one way or another.
In that same spirit, a lot of us can poke fun at others here, and do. Sometimes, it's in good taste, other times it isn't. My advice is that if you aren't 100% certain as to how your target is going to take it, just don't post it. Some people are a lot more sensitive to ribbing than Feynman and Poe.
I think it's fine that Brent put a cool Hamer in the hands of somebody who wanted it. The fact that he made $800 on the deal righjt before the Holidays is even better. The only thing I have a problem with is the rapid escalation posted here, with name-calling and way over-the-top responses. No need to bring chemical weapons to a wrestling match, and THAT is what crossed the line of Board conduct here.

Cynic,

Your post is like a waiter telling a patron that left a small tip that he didn't tip enough.

And there's absolutely no debating most see it similarly.

I see it as a waiter telling a patron that they were all sold out of the menu special...BUT, fortunately the waiter had been in the position to buy the last one and can offer it to the patron at a 50% markup.

seen this story before, but its how the game is played... hijack note... There was a R9 Braz for sale on Craigslist in Portland, listed as a 03 LesPaul. A savy dude from Seattle bought it and flipped it for 4000 ( listed as a Braz). As long if there is a honesty, and no over the top bragging,, I am down.

I'm a relative newbie here. I've known Brent on another forum and have met him as well. He is a good guy.

It is also nice that some of you guys here kind of trade guitars amongst yourselves.Makes you good guys too. Lots of nice folks here, it is where I got my Hamer.

Brent took a chance on an E bay deal that he found with all the inherent risk, bother, anxiety etc that is involved.Anyone of us had the same chance at this deal. He was discreet in not listing it here. The fact that he has extra money to feed his family and have a better x mas or what ever is fine, at least with me.

Agree 100% with my English friend above.