Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I miss Reverend USA

GusS

Remember when you could go on the reverend website, choose a color, pickups, hardtail or bigsby etc., pay $579 and you'd get a cool as shit instrument assembled in Michigan unlike anything else on the market?

Their current guitars are such a boner killer. Just the same tired guitars that everybody else is peddling, just shaped a little differently.

While I've never played an import (I almost bought a Volcano over eBay the other day), I do regret not going in for a new USA model when I could have. I bought my Hellhound combo and Drivetrain (II?) when they had the etched aluminum tops available in blue and yellow with either like palm trees or a lava pattern.

Regardless, I still have that Hellhound. It still rocks hard.

I'd love to audition the Reverends against the PRS SEs, which have been some of the nicest lower-price imports I've played recently.

I'm convinced the current Reverends are as good, if not better than the old USA line. They just lost the charm and individuality of the USA line.

Just like those half-assed Eastwood "reissues" of Supro/Airline fiberglass guitars made of mahogany (i.e. nato) with bullshit tuneamatic bridges and covered humbuckers that play, feel and sound the same as a Les Paul copy, they capture absolutely none of the vibe of the original.

Part of the brilliance of the USA Reverend line was how easily and cheaply they made these cool, unique guitars (e.g. no paint spraying)

At a time when "boutique", "vos", "relic", "roadworn", "r9", "master built", "hand wired" became guitar terms, and well before the hipster movement/white stripes/resurgence of old department store guitars, these guys came up with a guitar built like the danelectro amp-in-case guitars of the 60s, looking nothing like a danelecto amp-in-case or any other guitar for that matter, introduced some crazy finish materials, and paired them with strat necks with imo the best non-lawsuit fender-inspired headstock. And they sold direct from their then-excellent website. Next-level shit all around.

I have a Volcano H90 and a Reeves Gabrels model, they are both killer guitars.

I could have bought a used USA Hamer for the price of the Reeves Gabrels, but

it is a unique and great guitar that can't be be found in the Hmaer line up. They still

need a little fret tweaking to be great. I have never had to do that to a USA Hamer.

Cool Beans

Gene

Always thought Reverend and Hamer were kindred somehow - perhaps in their obscurity.

I agree about the Korean line being as good as the USAs.. they are night and day side by side - the mids are scooped in the USAs and the Koreans are Korina. The maple 'tops' on the Sensei line are 1/16" - surprisingly effective. Not a big fan of their humbuckers.. a nice vintage set sounds sooo much better.. humble opinion and all.

Recently came across a sales reciept for an Avenger 'Workhorse' I bought just after they cancelled the 'Avenger' line for $469. I think it weighed 7 ounces or something.. They used to build guitars for shows and then when the show was done, they would sell them on their site for $50 off - and they never took dogs to their shows. They still always answer their phone or call you back. I bought a Sensei second hand and the pots were heavily molested with a soldering gun.. called Reverend and they sent me a fresh set and spare toggle switch - and I had my wallet out. Great customer service. Fat necks.

Good times..

Those Alltone speakers they put out for a while were the best bang-for-the-buck going at the time. I had a couple in a Peavey Classic 50 that sounded great.

You are SO right! I replaced the speaker in a Rivera R12 with an Alltone and it really brought it to life.

Archived