Hamer Fan Club Message Center

$200 Power Cord

Steve Haynie

Question

Is this $200 power cord really worth the price? Instead of a 16 gauge wire your get 14 gauge. It just supplies power to your amp. According to the manufacturer and the reviews your amp sounds so much better. For the same price you can get a power conditioner that will supply a constant power to all your gear.

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about power cables but I can attest to a power conditioner on old BF Fenders. My old Vibrolux Reverb was apparently super sensitive to the voltage coming out of the wall, enough to significantly change the sound/sweetness to my ears.

Ooh! I'll give ya tree-fiddy for it!

Oh, wait... wrong thread. ;)

Jokes aside, I recommend you just enjoy what you have. If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, brace yourself. :) If you're looking to save your money for guitars, I'd check out this video as an early stop on your search:

http://www.stayonline.com/5-15-c13-10-amp-power-cords-sjt-shielded.aspx

Here you go. #14 cable, (second box down) in all kinds of lengths, double shielded (not to keep noise out, but to stop power supply noise and inrush fields from broadcasting away!).

Wire is cheap, there is SO much B.S. that audiophiles get suckered into it kills me.

FACT: there is far more of a difference between the receptacle the left of your stereo then the one on the right (12 feet of wire and an extra connection) then there is between the stock cord and a $2000 cord.

The thought here, Steve, is that your power cable will only bring you what it gets from the wall. A very good read here:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/52671-i-need-a-power-cable-for-my-egnater-mod50/?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bcable

Is this $200 power cord really worth the price? Instead of a 16 gauge wire your get 14 gauge. It just supplies power to your amp. According to the manufacturer and the reviews your amp sounds so much better. For the same price you can get a power conditioner that will supply a constant power to all your gear.

LOL You are joking right?

What are you using it with? I had a Mesa DC-10 and I couldn't hear a difference between a white box cord and a $250 handmade one. However, with my Eden Nemesis bass amp, I hear differences among several power cords of various gauges and winding and shielding configurations. If it's big gauge you want, here's a 2M 7-gauge for less money.

Essential Sound Products and Audio Advisor both have a 30-day money back guarantee. Return shipping for a power cord would be cheap. The best way to find out is to buy one, plug it in, let it burn in, and see if you hear a difference. In my case that 7-gauge Pangea was too bassy and I sent it back. These days I either use a PS Audio or Zu Audio power cord. How much difference you hear can depend on the power supply of the amp you're using and the quality/noise level of the AC you're getting from your wall, and possibly also the amount of EMI/RFI in your neighborhood.

This reminds me of a speaker wire test I read about several years ago. There were about a dozen or so brands of wires, some of them priced several hundreds of dollars per foot. Several proclaimed audiophiles did a blindfolded hearing test to determine the best sounding speaker wire. The winner? Ordinary coat-hanger wire!

I find myself oddly aroused:

PGAC9_HAND_NEW.jpg

That's because it's black.

And he's wearing cowboy boots.

I feel like this is pretty much exploitation of people's paranoid misgivings.

If I don't buy this will I sound as good as I could do... Etc...

Brass nut anyone?

Or instead, maybe use the time being wasted to fart-arse around choosing the model of Duracell 9v battery I'll be using in my expensive boutique true bypass natural yoghurt, composting toilet, organic grain fed overdrive pedal, to have another hours practice on playing the bleeding instrument....

Bah, Grrr.

Bollocks.

I've got a new blender. If I get one of these $200 power cords, will it make my margaritas tastier? :D

As if your blender has an IEC socket? :rolleyes:

IEC_JACK.gif

I've got a new blender. If I get one of these $200 power cords, will it make my margaritas tastier? :D

As if your blender has an IEC socket? :rolleyes:

IEC_JACK.gif

Only if it is one of the new fangled high tech HD/3D blenders. You know, the ones with the USB port so they can download the latest drink recipes.

Archived