Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2013 "Buy No Guitars" Challenge - **WINNERS ANNOUNCED**

Feynman

Now that is a pledge that I could live with. 9 guitars is just about right. Just sold a Epi Bonamassa to make way for my incoming Nash thinline. That keeps me at 9 guitars (I don't have to count basses do I?)

Now that is a pledge that I could live with. 9 guitars is just about right. Just sold a Epi Bonamassa to make way for my incoming Nash thinline. That keeps me at 9 guitars (I don't have to count basses do I?)

They do count, but generally only 4/6 as much as a guitar.

Sooo....do parts projects count?

I've got about 4 guitars waiting to get assembled and finished with buying things like a neck here, or a pickup there....you get the point. Overall the "big purchases" will have to be 2 necks. Am I good?

But as far as a straight up guitar purchase? I think I can do it. I'm in.

They do count, but generally only 4/6 as much as a guitar.

5/6 at my house... times three!

No way I could do this. I'm weak when it comes to basses. And I keep failing the 'one-out' side of one-in, one-out.

If I buy one for my son and keep it at my house does that count against me?

If I sell one before the 17th and buy a cheaper one to replace that one after the 17th is that cool?

Sorry I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread..

Not for me- new guitar day's are too much fun and I've still never had an ES335 variant.

When the final list of competitors is posted, I'll be keen to watch for their names on the For Sale board.

How about an "End the year with fewer guitars than you started" challenge?

Sorry, but there are still quite a few guitars I'd like to have, and I see no point in passing up a good deal on any of them if they show up and I have the $$, so count me out.

I'll watch from the sidelines, and probably laugh like I did a year ago when Mitch battled Sean (names right?) to see who broke down first on a similar pledge.

And that makes me ask: What reward comes to whomever wins? And, what penalty is extracted from those who lose? Last year some $$ was on the line, so let's see some skin in this game.

This is NOT gonna be fun or easy... I'm already cruising the 'Bay for guitars I don't even get along with... Ohhh lawdy, lawdy...

There is a hidden gem going to be planned right now, to be finished later this year. No chance to play the game for me.

Can't do it. Just picked up a Taylor Fall Limited 12 Fret, and it's sweet. But a new guitar means an old one will get neglected, so the old one will be moved. But you can't leave cash from the sale of a guitar in the account, for the wife will take it and spend it on rational things (Food, clothes, etc...) and then you will have no money when the guitar you want comes along. So, it has to be an immediate "Move the old one out, bring the new one in" scenario in order to preserve the collection's net worth.

That's why I can't do it...

Good thing this does not start for another week. I took delivery of one bass on Wednesday, and bought another today.

I have to assume that I can proceed with buying an SVT after the 11th. This is only for guitars and basses, right?

Re-thinking: if I placed a custom order last year, but I make the final payment and receive it this year, can I still sign-up?

This could be a welcome challenge, especially as I am seriously jonesing right now for 2 things in particular to round out the sonic palette and just started a full-time job. I would need a ruling, though, and have heard similiar rumblings without a clarification, so riddle me these please;

What if a contestant finishes an existing pile-o-caster build or otherwise assembles a complete guitar from an existing project inventory? The guitar has been in the possession of said contestant but is now merely "whole" again......

or, as in the case of Jem and others,

What if one hews a guitar from the wood itself? A complete fabrication move from the ground-up? In my case I have a couple neck blanks glued up and a mahogany body blank glued to hopefully become an 8-string bass in 2013. Am I out then if I roll my own and not intended sale?

And finally, gifts? What if Ted finally just admits the poopy-yellowgreen P-90 Special is destined to be with me forever or my wife gets the hint about the Superpro and goes off and does something awesome?

Good luck to all. I sense a very good hunting season if modestly priced musical instruments are your game.

Archived