Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Selling #0441 and need advice

I'm selling my Standard (#0441) with case and would love to know the best place to get started. I contacted a large musical instrument chain and was offered $125. It has a lot of paint chips, a broken pot knob and an after-market Kahler tremolo; however, I'm guessing that's on the laughable low side. Any advice/wisdom as to my best options would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, aren't you gonna be popular in the next couple of days! :lol: We have a classifieds section on the HFC. Try putting up on there with lots of detailed photos and a low estimate of what you'd like to get for it. I can tell you that after market Kahler's typically don't help your situation but that can be remedied. Paging Dr. Murkat, paging Dr. bcrGreg...

I'm selling my Standard (#0441) with case and would love to know the best place to get started. I contacted a large musical instrument chain and was offered $125. It has a lot of paint chips, a broken pot knob and an after-market Kahler tremolo; however, I'm guessing that's on the laughable low side. Any advice/wisdom as to my best options would be greatly appreciated.

What those other guys said. Welcome to the HFC and I can't wait to get a shot at it. :)

$350?

If you can't post pics, email me a couple and i'll post them ASAP for you - this won't go cheap, even in altered condition.

Sounds like a fairly simple restoration job, too. A broken pot knob can be fixed with an original era pot for next to nothing, and the Kahler can be fixed too,

Although it is your first post the best place to start is right here.

It is a good thing all those guys signed that no guitar buying pledge.

Looking forward to see the pictures

Hamerica

Check your PM's :D

Yep, I am sure there has been a few!

Hamerica

I will caution you now that we do not allow "virtual auctions" on our board. I think that unfortunately, that may be where this is heading. My advice is that you will either need to set a price now and sell to the first person with cash in hand, or else take it to eBay, where you will get what it is TRULY worth.

That being said, here's a Hamer 4-digit factory resto...

...featuring Hamerica himself:

HamerBrianB4Digit.jpg

Thanks for all of the excellent (and timely) advice!!!

I had no idea my post would generate so much interest. With that in mind, more info is probably appropriate. First of all, I purchased this guitar in Columbus, Ohio in '79 or '80. The salesman told me that Mark Chatfield (the Godz, Seger, etc...) had been a/the previous owner; however, I can't vouch for that. The guitar has several areas where the paint has chipped; however, very few/minor dings. To the best of my knowledege (with the exception of the Kahler tremolo...aren't 30+ year old whammy bars worth something? :)) everything else is stock. Pot knob broken/missing as well.

(Mod Edit - virtual auction)

Well I won't be purchasing from you but where do you live in that area? I grew up in Pensacola florida. The Ensley area. Good luck with your sell.

No-you didn't violate a rule here-some guys here buy too much, so they're on self-imposed"no-buy" restrictions.

Your guitar is not a 79-Ill have to look, but its more likely an 81.

Looks like an auction to me

Yeah, that is not allowed per the posting rules in this forum. The best thing to do is to search a similar posts determine a price or take it off line. Otherwise place it on eBay.

Hamerica

I don't think the OP understood my post. We're glad to have you aboard, but we have found after many, many years of running this site, that "virtual auctions", where somebody posts a "make offer", "taking offers" or "want to sell, please advise price", causes nothing but headaches for the mods and others.

The rules for "FOR SALE" ads in this section are at the top of the page.

We don't allow virtual auctions, and OP probably missed that part.

That being said, eBay is the BEST place to get your value for this guitar. In my estimation, it is worth something well north the cost of a mint condition Angus Young Sig SG, but a free and open market is your most fair option all around.

That being said, eBay is the BEST place to get your value for this guitar. In my estimation, it is worth something well north the cost of a mint condition Angus Young Sig SG, but a free and open market is your most fair option all around.

I think we'd all like to thank you for selling guns to the indians.

;)

If there was a firm selling price, we wouldn't have this problem.

I'm already getting complaints...

My "advice" is a price and pics. If you want an auction to the highest bidder, there's always eBay. To answer your question; It's worth what the person that wants it the most will pay. That's an auction. And there are plenty of us willing to play. Let the market decide.

My "advice" is a price and pics. If you want an auction to the highest bidder, there's always eBay. To answer your question; It's worth what the person that wants it the most will pay. That's an auction. And there are plenty of us willing to play. Let the market decide.

Didn't I just suggest this? :lol:

Archived