Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Possibly starstruck by which famous guitarist?

zorrow

Rik Emmett is a monster. I met Steve Morse one time, not only is he a phenomenal player (and somewhat of a comedian), he's as down to earth as anyone I've met.

Rik was one of my absolute faves in the early- mid 80's and I had an opportunity to see him play in a high school auditorium in 2007. He was doing a acoustic/electric set with another backing guitarist. It was pretty cool as he did some of his more recent jazzier material and few of his old Triumph hits as well. Missed my opportunity to meet him afterwards though.

I got starstruck meeting Paul Stanley, I think I ended up saying something like "wow, you're shorter than I thought you would be" or something like that. Oops. I did get to meet Kai Hansen and that was a dream come true, he was a nice guy and I'm still mad at my piece of shit camera phone that butchered up the picture.

At VT I was on the concert committee and once we got to hang out with the guys from Husker Du and Soul Asylum after a show. Took 'em to a local party and drank alot. Had a great time. During their show, both bass players broke a string.

A local private club hired Pat Travers to do a show a few years back and afterwards I was invited backstage to socialize. A local photographer passed around a portfolio of 70s era arena show pics, including a bunch of really good PT pics. He was impressed. At one point we exchanged pleasantries and I told him he was one of my first guitar influences. He didn't seem to like that.

The Smithereens-Was given the opportunity to attend a Pat Dinizio "living room" show. Somehow, my band mates at the time led the organizers to think that I was some kind of hardcore Smithereens fan (which I'm not). Of course, they made me sit right in front of Pat as he played. It was in a hotel suite, with a very plush white carpet. Pat proceeds to spill his red wine, blame me for it (not even in a laughing, joking around kind way), and somehow I end up at dude's feet, cleaning up his spill.

DiNizio was a customer at the Chicago GC when I worked there. He was one of the first in line for the new EBMM EVH models. I remember him being something of a surly cock. Probably due to the fact that we charged him full retail because everyone was paying that price for those when they first came out.

I met Danny Gatton a coupla times, at Cubby Bear shows. I was trying to get illustration work, approaching guys who might need CD covers, or something... He was gracious, personable and seemed sincere in complimenting my work. He handed me his Fender signature model one time and crabbed a bit about it. Man, that was huge!

I've always been a big BOC fan and when I met Albert Bouchard, I felt a bit of that full-circle feeling, mentioned already. But there too, he was really easy-going and seemed to enjoy talking about the old days. I think he liked seeing my copy of the Stalk Forrest Group CD. He had a big role in writing that one.

One of my strong suits is pulling myself together in clutch moments like these, I guess. That's the only way I can explain any bit of composure I've had, the times I've talked with Allan Holdsworth.

A lot of guys appreciate the heavy compliments but enjoy talking with the audience/fans about other stuff - sometimes not even music. Y'know...I'm a person with experiences, insights, difficulties...so're they. Maybe you get to a certain age and all you can be is calm and yourself, at any given moment.

But... A good test of that would be meeting Jeff Beck. How to even start, much less stay in that conversation?!

After a show by Andy Summers at the Birdland (with Dennis Chambers and Darryl Jones, yikes!) I went up to shake his hand. I was pretty damn nervous. I managed to mumble something about him being the reason I became a guitarist (which is true), he looked really uncomfortable, said thanks, shook my hand, and then turned to chat with the next person in line. I felt like Chris Farley berating himself for saying something stupid to one of his interview guests.

I met Joe Perry one night after a show in a club in Cincinnati.

The Joe Perry Project was touring for it's 3rd album, Once A Rocker.

The band nearing the end of its life. I bought a a band jersey, and asked the

gorilla who was guarding the backstage door, if he could get Joe to sign it for me.

He came back with it autographed. I was thrilled. A short while later, after 90% of the

crowd had left, Joe came out with a couple a chicks, and was walking in our direction. So

I thought "This is my only chance the meet da man". So I stood up, as he walked by our end

of the bar, and blabbed some incoherent idol worship crap at him. He was cool, talked

for a few seconds, thanked me for coming to the show, and moved on. Really a big moment

for a big Aerosmith fan.

Now if I'd meet McCartney, or Page, or Angus, or Tipton / Downing, etc, I'd just bust.

But I think McCartney would bring me to tears. He's such a HUGE cog in the rock machine, and

his music is timeless.

I have been fortunate enough to meet some of my favorites and have for the most part not said anything cringe-worthy. I am not sure if I can say the same if I were to meet EVH, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Lynne, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Tony Banks, Sting, Geddy Lee or Paul McCartney.

I would add Jeff Beck to that list except I am a car nut so I think that would save me in his case. :-)

I frankly don't give a dime to meet anyone in person, really. For example, I met Jeff Waters (one of my biggest influences/inspirations) and everything went very natural, in spite of the fact I spent my late teens listening to Annihilator almost every day.

Brian May however is another story. He's the very reason why I play guitar. I spent hours trying to copy some of his licks when I began. I also listened to Queen quite often. In addition, as a musician May is also in another league than all those metal guitar heros I usually like. I wouldn't know what to say if I ever met the guy in person. Something stupid, maybe, such as "thank you for the music, sir" or "can I take a picture with you?" or "can I shake your hand?" ...or "Holy f*ck! It's Brian F*ckin' May!!!" :lol:

I frankly don't give a dime to meet anyone in person, really.

This is where I'm at.

The only current exception I can think of would need to include drummers. I think a chat with Neil Peart about BMW bikes and comparing notes on rides would be interesting.

I have been fortunate enough to meet some of my favorites and have for the most part not said anything cringe-worthy. I am not sure if I can say the same if I were to meet EVH, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Lynne, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Tony Banks, Sting, Geddy Lee or Paul McCartney.

I would add Jeff Beck to that list except I am a car nut so I think that would save me in his case. :-)

Forgot about Tony Banks! Yeah, his tunes have done a lot to shape my brain.

I think Blackmore is one of the best guitar players of his generation, but from what I've heard about him, I'm happy thinking so from a distance.

Archived