Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who Needs A Fucking Microwave??

Ting Ho Dung

Question

I wanted to heat up a hot dog before going to the Orlando Guitar Expo. Many of you are aware that I have posted that I do not eat processed meats. That I am a shitty chef. But still manage to cook for my family each and every day and have sit down meals every night. Well, the microwave went bang and my hot dog was cold after 30 seconds in it. I wondered what to do and was quite frankly at a loss for ideas. It's been thirty years that I've enjoyed Microwave. So I got out a 2 quart pot, put in a little water, laid a colander over the steaming water. Placed said dog and a bun in the steam. Done in five. So it wasn't 30 seconds and done. But it was 5 and done.

So my question for you engineers and smart people; What do I save, other than time, for running a 1000 watt microwave for one minute as apposed to a small eye on the stove for 5 minutes?

I think the stove top is probably healthier if you can call a dog healthy. Why??? because there are no microwaves????

My wife went to the grocery this evening and got some Digeorno pizzas. Why??? because she didn't know how to warm left overs without a microwave. Degeornos in the oven @ 400 degrees @ 20 minutes. She would have cooked them anyway. But the oven was still warm so I put some leftover lemmon pepper chicki from last night in a skillet and placed them in the oven. Already spent energy heated the skillet and chicki up. opened the door after the chicki was bubblin' and let the heat out into the house. Already spent energy mind you.

Yeah, so I'm frugal. Not cheap. Just thinking about weather I should replace a microwave @ 400 bucks or buy a guitar with it. All a microwave is good for is reheating things in 30 seconds. You smart guys tell me what the BTU expense of heating a cup of water in a microwave as apposed to on the stove. You health nutz tell me what the ill effects of microwave vs convection heat may be.

Make sense?

From a pure energy consumption standpoint, it cost you a lot more to heat that hot dog on the stove than it did in the microwave. The stovetop has a large resistive heating element that was on for five minutes. The microwave, even if it used more energy (and it doesn't), was only on for 30 sec. Now look at the circuit breakers in your main panel that these appliances are connected to. The oven/range is on a 40, 50 or 60 amp double pole (240 volt) breaker because it needs that much power. It may be the lagest energy load in your house when it is on. The microwave is on a basic 15 or 20 amp single pole (120 volt) household circuit. That's all the power it needs, and for a much shorter period of time.

I give in. I need a microwave. It was fun for a bit finding creative ways to reheat left overs but now I'm hungry and the left over grilled chicken is in a double boiler on the stove and has been for about 20 minutes. They nuke in about 45 seconds.

I give in. I need a microwave. It was fun for a bit finding creative ways to reheat left overs but now I'm hungry and the left over grilled chicken is in a double boiler on the stove and has been for about 20 minutes. They nuke in about 45 seconds.

Like I said, if you go with a Panasonic with Inverter Technology and Sensor Reheat, your nuked chicken will taste just like it came fresh out of the oven. It's the best of all three: energy efficient, fast, and good taste with no rubbery spots and cold spots. Uniformly heated throughout with no issues. I've owned microwaves for 28 years and this is the first time I've waxed poetic about one. It's truly different, better, and worth it.

I've owned microwaves for 28 years and this is the first time I've waxed poetic about one. It's truly different, better, and worth it.

I don't believe that for a second.

twue.jpg

Actually, I grew up with them. If they were dangerous, I should be dead by now. On the other hand I don't have one in the house for 30 odd years and still don't miss them. So, what's the point here?

Microwaves are bad STAT! Not got one. Got no TV, read no newspapers, watch no news on the net, I is vegan. Jus' playin' me some toons day after day after day after day...

My life's great :D

Microwaves are bad STAT! Not got one. Got no TV, read no newspapers, watch no news on the net, I is vegan. Jus' playin' me some toons day after day after day after day...

That's really funny :D Gonna have to watch this fo sho...

That's really funny :D Gonna have to watch this fo sho...

It's a pretty funny movie.

Let me put it this way:

Would you go to a restaurant that prepared your food in a microwave?

I suspect , applebees , olive garden , chilis & the like , "are" preparing pre packaged entrees in the microwave ...

I dont use one except to heat water ... now that Ive sworn off BACON!(the best use of micro wave technology )

The best thing to do is find a old beat up toaster oven second hand at a thrift store or craigslist etc. The older the better... toastmaster is a good one. Sears brand also. You can heat up anything quickly without those nasty microwaves. Use less power than the full size oven for sure. $20-$30 . The new toaster ovens I have used don't seem to work as well. I dunno ... mojo?

A little off topic, but...

Boiling takes the flavor out of the hot dogs. The best way to heat a hot dog on the stove is to bring water to a boil first, drop the hot dogs in, and immediately turn off the burner. Let the hot dogs sit in the hot water for 5-10 minutes. Perfect.

Boiling takes the flavor out of the hot dogs. The best way to heat a hot dog on the stove is to bring water to a boil first, drop the hot dogs in, and immediately turn off the burner. Let the hot dogs sit in the hot water for 5-10 minutes. Perfect.

Good to know, if I ever eat a hot dog again. :lol: Still no fucking microwave. Damn I want some popcorn. My bank gives it out on Friday. So I still don't need a microwave.

Boiling takes the flavor out of the hot dogs. The best way to heat a hot dog on the stove is to bring water beer to a boil simmer first, drop the hot dogs in, and immediately turn off the burner, and cover. Let the hot dogs sit in the hot water beer for 5-10 minutes. Perfect.

Fixed.

Fortunately for you ... microwave popcorn has a bunch of weird shit in it plus its made with GMO corn. Pan, oil, butter, salt ... organic popcorn. Cheap and easy.

A big +1! Lately, however, my popcorn-loving wife has gone on a gluten/milk-free diet, and it's very hard to find microwave popcorn without butter or milk solids. So I bought some Redenbacher in a jar and make it on the stove. We control everything about the popcorn--type of oil, how much salt, etc. We may experiment with other things like caramel or kettle corn in the future.

Stovetop popcorn isn't rocket science. You preheat the pan with 1-1/2 oz. of oil, toss one kernel in. When it pops the oil is hot enough. Put in 1/2 cup of popcorn, put a vented lid on and shake it a bit and hear it pop. Pull it off the burner when popping slows down to one pop in 3 secs. Salt to taste and you're done.

Tips:.

• Sprinkle popcorn salt, a very fine grind, into the oil beforehand and it automatically salts the corn evenly.
  • Use coconut oil.

Coconut oil is highly saturated, and makes the lightest, fluffiest popcorn. It's the proper way to achieve that consistency without resorting to killer trans fats. New research indicates that coconut oil is healthy. I get mine at Sam's Club in a big jar that comes out to about $4/pint--way cheap.

Thorn, if you miss and crave popcorn, try making it on the stove, or get one of these. It stirs the popcorn as it pops to minimize burning and unpopped kernels.

82306_zoom.jpg

Gluten free is the way to go JB ... you should try it too. I lost 15lbs without even trying and look/feel >>> Fantastic! LOL Well "fantastic" might be an exaggeration but "pretty darn good" is not.

I just drink wine instead of beer and have my burgers lettuce wrapped when I go out to a hamburger joint...

( I still insist on having a order of fries every week or two :) )

Save money, lose weight, be healthy ... fucking wheat has been genetically modified since the 60's or before ... it doesnt even remotely resemble wheat anymore.

Wheat and high fructose corn syrup ... the reason you see so many fat teenagers/children these days

Gluten free is the way to go JB ... you should try it too. I lost 15lbs without even trying and look/feel >>> Fantastic! LOL Well "fantastic" might be an exaggeration but "pretty darn good" is not.

I just drink wine instead of beer and have my burgers lettuce wrapped when I go out to a hamburger joint...

Save money, lose weight, be healthy ... fucking wheat has been genetically modified since the 60's or before ... it doesnt even remotely resemble wheat anymore.

Wheat and high fructose corn syrup ... the reason you see so many fat teenagers/children these days

My wife has lost over 20 lbs. in the past 3 mos. since eliminating gluten, dairy, and a few other things. I haven't switched over yet, but I'm eating much less gluten, getting most grains from gluten-free sources, etc. I've cut way back on beer but intend to continue toward a gluten-free existence.

Fortunately for you ... microwave popcorn has a bunch of weird shit in it plus its made with GMO corn. Pan, oil, butter, salt ... organic popcorn. Cheap and easy.

Tips:.

• Sprinkle popcorn salt, a very fine grind, into the oil beforehand and it automatically salts the corn evenly.
  • Use coconut oil.

Coconut oil is highly saturated, and makes the lightest, fluffiest popcorn. It's the proper way to achieve that consistency without resorting to killer trans fats. New research indicates that coconut oil is healthy. I get mine at Sam's Club in a big jar that comes out to about $4/pint--way cheap.

I worked at a drive-in movie theater for a couple of summers. We used coconut oil. We also put in a a heaping tablespoon of salt into the kettle with the coconut oil and popcorn kernels.

Maybe that's why we have always been a skinny family, other than me. We eat sensibly. Very little processed meat. Very little bread and pasta. Chicken, steak, pork ribs, broccoli, legumes of every kind. Other than beer, does that mean we are gluten free? Does rice contain gluten? We like brown rice about once every few weeks. One friend told me we eat like the Adkins diet. I don't know what that is either. I'm going to try the stove top popcorn. Haven't done that since we were first married. It'll be fun.

One friend told me we eat like the Adkins diet. I don't know what that is either.

The idea behind Atkins is to get your body to burn fat instead of carbohydrates by eliminating carbs from your diet (think: anything white) to force your body to start burning fat, then slowly reintroduce some carbs back, as you have to have them.

Carbohydrates are my enemy, and the few times I've gone all in with Atkins the weight just falls off me, but it's a very hard diet to maintain.

Archived