Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thoughts on Aztec Gold?

MarkF786

I've been considering buying a new Monaco SuperPro, but the pickings are slim. Willcutt has two left, both in Aztec Gold. All the Hamers I've owned have had some type of burst finish, so that's what my eye is used to in a Hamer, and Aztec Gold wouldn't be my first choice - and considering that the only two left are Aztec Gold, apparently it's not the first choice of other people either. But the more I've looked at the guitars the past few days, the more they've grown on me.

What are your thoughts on the Aztec Gold finish? How does it look in person?

Here are the two guitars. I like both tops, but maybe the first a little more, and since the first guitar is a little lighter, it seems to be the best choice.

856178-2small.jpg

http://willcuttguitars.com/hamer/monaco/hamer-monaco-superpro-aztec-gold-178

856335-2small.jpg

http://willcuttguitars.com/hamer/monaco/hamer-monaco-superpro-aztec-gold-335

Aztec Gold looks awesome! Especially on Korina. But those two Super Pros both look killer, I'd be happy with either one of them.

The hint of orange in Arnie's pic looks closer to what I recall AG looking like in person than what I see in the Willcutt's pics. I love the color, but why shell out big $$$ for a guitar that doesn't 100% do it for you? If you wait a couple months I'm sure something in a burst will pop up.

The first Hamer I ever saw in person was an incredible flamed Aztec Gold Monaco Elite. I was at that store shopping for an Artist Custom, and asked if they had any AC's in Aztec Gold. The store owner called Hamer, and they didn't have any Artist Customs in Aztec Gold in stock, so I got Trans Red. I wonder if somebody here ended up with that Monaco Elite? It was gorgeous!

When Aztec gold = orange back in the day, it was awesome. Now that it's more of a pee yellow, I don't dig it so much (especially over Korina!). That said, I've had a couple Studio Customs in AG and it wasn't something that bothered me too much.

-

Austin

Here a couple of shot of one i sold a while back, both pics are natural lite,one indoor,one out. i thought these show the most REALISTIC range of color i could get at the time. under some lighting it can swing both ways, to almost straight yellow, to pretty orangeish.IMG_2288.jpgIMG_2281.jpg

Hamers are incredibly rare where I reside. I had never seen a Superpro in person let alone try one when I had the opportunity to purchase an 07 in Amberburst. Seeing some photos I was at first not too keen on the color (out of the stock colors I thought that Jazzburst suited it best) but when it was brought over and I plugged it in, it just did not matter to me anymore what color it was. I was SOLD. Not sure but I am thinking you might have the same results. As far as Aztec Gold goes I much prefer the 90s hue but it photographs differently under varied lighting conditions. It looks as though the newer hue does the same. If you are still unsure mabye you can get them to take a couple of naturally lit shots. Cheers.

Here a couple of shot of one i sold a while back, both pics are natural lite,one indoor,one out. i thought these show the most REALISTIC range of color i could get at the time. under some lighting it can swing both ways, to almost straight yellow, to pretty orangeish.IMG_2288.jpgIMG_2281.jpg

WHOA Nelly...look at that...I am not sure I would have got rid of that one.

FWIW. Willcutt takes great photos.....Maybe the best an instrument will ever look. I am of the opinion that they are not necessarily quite as good in person. I am NOT saying they are altered at all, only that they pick the best angle, light, etc to post the most attractive/seductive shot. Nothing wrong with that. But it may not be the same look each time you pick it up or from every angle..

Note the difference in the "look" of the Newport pictured above and how the same one looks in my avatar off to the left......Yellow? Orange? You decide. (No, NOT for sale!)

Aztec Gold eh? I think The Grammy producers specifically banned Aztec Gold Hamers from last night's show. They are prone to wardrobe malfunction and displays of "puffy genital areas".

Excuse me but aren't puffy genital areas exactly what we are all aiming for?

Archived