Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Albums that as a guitar player you felt obligated to buy and ended up hating

MCChris

Inspired by the Clapton thread....

The "Beano" album definitely fits the bill for me. Bought it out of a sense of duty, did nothing for me.

Same for whatever Holdsworth album had "Devil Take the Hindmost" on it.

You?

Whatever the "breakout" album was for Keith Urban.

Read a couple of articles in Guitar mags that all touted his instrumental prowess. The album was nothing but over-produced "new country" crap. I listened to it all the way through, didn't hear a single memorable guitar part, and gave it away to the first 40 something woman wearing denim that showed interest.

Alcatrazz-cuz it had that Yankme J Valvestem guy on it.....snore

There were a couple Steve Vai albums that I can't seem to remember.

Soul to Soul- by SRV (gasp)

No sh*t! :blink: Ok, revenge is sweet:

Anything KISS. Too many Ace fans around, so I did give KISS a good try. I failed. To me it was soooo boooooring... :ph34r:

Alcatrazz-cuz it had that Yankme J Valvestem guy on it.....snore

There were a couple Steve Vai albums that I can't seem to remember.

Soul to Soul- by SRV (gasp)

No sh*t! :blink: Ok, revenge is sweet:

Anything KISS. Too many Ace fans around, so I did give KISS a good try. I failed. To me it was soooo boooooring... :ph34r:

HAHAHAHAaaaa!!! NOT a big Kiss fan either, at least not of the guitar playing......but they were fun to hear at the roller-rink.

The avatar is just some old HFC laughs, ;)

Can you say "Jimi Hendrix" ? I went on a mission to buy his 3 ( I think) main releases... I was deteremed that I was going to like them come hell or high water. To this day, I still don't get it.

I was 17 or so and bought Jeff Beck Blow By Blow. Wish we had U-Tube back then.

Somewhere in Joisey, Kizanski is having an aneurysm.

Can you say "Jimi Hendrix" ? I went on a mission to buy his 3 ( I think) main releases... I was deteremed that I was going to like them come hell or high water. To this day, I still don't get it.

I was 17 or so and bought Jeff Beck Blow By Blow. Wish we had U-Tube back then.

Somewhere in Joisey, Kizanski is having an aneurysm.

Ha... for many reasons I should have been able to relate to Hendrix.. but in the end.. I was not Experienced.

Steve Vai: Passion & Warfare. Liked that cassette so much that I threw it out of my truck window to the pavement, backed up over it, & proceeded to do a burn out on it. Eff you Vai, eff you very much.

Nuther vote for Beck's Blow By Blow. It blew alright. Still don't know what to make of Beck.

GTR, with Steve Howe and Steve Hacket (or Buddy Hacket or something like that). The name of the band was the abbreviation for guitar, for crying out loud. It had to be good! I don't remember if I got all the way through it, but I know I never listened again.

And a second vote for Passion and Warfare. Another one that never got a second listen.

Steve Vai: Passion & Warfare. Liked that cassette so much that I threw it out of my truck window to the pavement, backed up over it, & proceeded to do a burn out on it. Eff you Vai, eff you very much.

I like the cut of your jib, sir. I did the bolded part to my drummer's girlfriend's sister's copy of Breakfast in America.

I also destroyed with the heel of my boot my own 8-track copy of ELO's Out of the Blue, simply one of the worst albums I have ever heard, and a double-album at that. At least I had the good sense to never buy Breakfast in America.

Cream's "Wheels of Fire". Good lord is that a terrible, boring album. Then there waz an Allman Bros LP (a live one-Fillmore East?) that was just painful although barely less so than WOF, which I bought thanks to EVH who said he learned 'Crossroads' note for note from that LP. OK-then how in the Hell did EVH get so good then? Not from that album.

I remember a review for GTR-the famous one-liner:

"SHT". Still amusing 30 years later.

Cream's "Wheels of Fire". Good lord is that a terrible, boring album. Then there waz an Allman Bros LP (a live one-Fillmore East?) that was just painful although barely less so than WOF, which I bought thanks to EVH who said he learned 'Crossroads' note for note from that LP. OK-then how in the Hell did EVH get so good then? Not from that album. I remember a review for GTR-the famous one-liner: "SHT". Still amusing 30 years later.

SHT. Perfect. Reminds me of the two word review of Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich: "Sh!t sandwich."

ANIMALS (Pink Floyd)-mindless, not mind-blowing (nor innovative)

GUITAR SHOP (Jeff Beck)-the title track had some funny spoken word stuff, but that was the high point. I likened it to a Bruce Willis/Kim Basinger movie called BLIND DATE, where the funniest part was a Rick Dees radio bit playing during the opening credits. Basically sounded like a buncha jams.

TUBULAR BELLS III (Mike Oldfield, import)-couldn't even finish listening to it, and I'm a huge Oldfield fan from way back.

JAMMING WITH EDWARD (Rolling Stones)-literally, recorded jam sessions, hyped as such w/ a reduced price. I think it was either CREEM or ROLLING STONE that correctly asked "Why was this album released?"

Whatever that EP was with EVH, Brian May, and Phil Chen, IIRC. Mercifully, I've forgotten.

CHANCE ENCOUNTERS IN THE GARDEN OF LIGHTS (Bill Nelson)

will prolly think of others later...

Ratt, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Maiden, Saxon, and too many others I read or was told were fantastic that I hated. I blew too much money on albums that blew. They're all in storage. Maybe someday my revenge will be someone buying them from me for a premium. Nah......

GTR, with Steve Howe and Steve Hacket (or Buddy Hacket or something like that). The name of the band was the abbreviation for guitar, for crying out loud. It had to be good! I don't remember if I got all the way through it, but I know I never listened again.

And a second vote for Passion and Warfare. Another one that never got a second listen.

I'm a friend of (almost) any guitar, and a fan of (almost) anyone else who is a friend of guitars. (stoopid ars way of saying i like most every artisit mentioned in this thread...)

But i *never* got GTR. "How could it not be great," i thought.

Then i listened to it and thought, "Well... i guess that's how."

Thankfully I didn't buy it, but I got an Eric Johnson CD from the library a few years ago; it may have been Live From Austin Tx but I'm not sure. Anyway, after about the 3rd cut my reaction was "It's still wank 'n' roll to me." Mindless putting notes together by a technical virtuoso.

One that I did buy and wish I had my money back is "Larry and Lee" featuring Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour. It's a 56-minute lesson that great session men usually: 1) Provide tasty licks for someone else's work and 2) Don't have enough original ideas to carry their own albums.

Must admit I'm not that much of an album buyer... With complete generalisation it's the 2 or 3 singles/well publicised track, plus one or 2 other songs that I like, then a bunch of nonsense. I can't think of the last album that I liked stars to finish, apart from genre compilations.

Sticking my neck out the only bands I rate the whole album end to end are Manic street preachers - generation terrorists, ash 1977, and something else, I can't remember...

My CD collection is littered with stuff that I only like a couple of tunes from...

Archived