Hamer Fan Club Message Center

List a few favorite female singer's, artists.

so many

Pinks latest album is killer. It's basically a rock album.

I know of a friend to a friend who had sex with Pink. The bastard.

There are so many female artists from the 40's-70's that I wish I knew more of.

Karen Carpenter was definitely a once in a decade pop singer in my opinion. She possessed very thick vocal chords and had superior tone quality. Like a great guitar tone compared to plywood.

There is no doubt that black singers, and Italians to some extent have more, thicker or something in their vocal chords by nature than results in a fuller sound. It's nearly like you have to double up some in the studio to get that rich and fullness. Of course there is an overlap like with any genetic benefit with others. But this benefit is not the exclusive property to a good singer make, but an important one. Plain old tone, thin or not, can be just as important.

Example. Justin Timberlake. Sings songs written for singers like MJ, but for this reason he sounds inferior to me. He is not singing to his strengths imo and comes off sounding thin, unlike the rich, broad note sounding R&B singer he idolizes and was the in thing when he was coming of age.

I prefer the timbre and tone over strength and fullness, and the type of music is probably by far why I like certain singers over others.

EDIT: Substituted R&B for soul

so many

she was smoking in the Lady Marmalade video.

There is no doubt that black singers, and Italians to some extent have more, thicker or something in their vocal chords by nature than results in a fuller sound. It's nearly like you have to double up some in the studio to get that rich and fullness. Of course there is an overlap like with any genetic benefit with others. But this benefit is not the exclusive property to a good singer make, but an important one. Plain old tone, thin or not, can be just as important.

I prefer the timbre and tone over strength and fullness, and the type of music is probably by far why I like certain singers over others.

I'm not sure how much of a racial advantage there might be for some vocalists, but proper training helps immensely I think. Christina Aguilera and Lady Gaga both share the same vocal coach and have been trained since young. I do like girls with big, full voices.

as far as R&B goes, These girls have always been near the top of my list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiFchM6lu10

I am 100% sure of racial differences in vocal power and thickness of pipes. But that does not make someone a better singer. I wish it was o.k to actually say that different races had varying vocal strength and tone traits without fear........ where is the Japanese Aretha? Maybe 1 every thousand years. Not hard to find in the USA.

Listening to Aguilera is like fingers on a chalk board. I just don't like the tone of her voice, the belting and acrobatics (forgot the term). They are emulating R&B and I bet there are 1000 black girls at any given time that can smoke Aguilera for the effect she is reaching for. She has looks and technique, but tone quality is poor imo, and it goes back to what she is trying to emulate.......she is at a disadvantage from the start.

Beth Hart kicks ass with or without Bonamassa

Sass Jordan (check out S.U.N. - Something Unto Nothing)

Alison Mosshart - The Kills, The Dead Weather

Adele

Joan Osborne

Betty Lavette

so many

she was smoking in the Lady Marmalade video.

I like Pink a lot too. Can Rock very well, seems to be a good person as well.

Joni Mitchell

A third mention to make up for her late entry.

Heart is a given.

Sheryl Crow was mentioned, I'm sure.

The Carpenters, absolutely.

Veruca Salt/Nina Gordon's first record.

Dead Sara, for the hard rock fan. Playing them on @songisking tomorrow.

Billie Holiday.

Rickie Lee Jones.

The McGarrigles.

Those where a few the wife likes.

Carole King?

I'll try and do more later...

Archived