Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Stone Roses - what did I miss?

Turdus

I've got the record they released in the late 80's. Not saying it sux, but I've never been able to get through a complete listen. 20 years later, I still see their name mentioned quite a bit. Now I see they have a documentary coming out.

They only put out 1 record, right? Who are the fans here, that can enlighten me?

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/66757

They had a good tune with some great tone and dirty slide playing around 1994 or '95.

Love Spreads

I think you'll highly dig it (I dunno about the rest of the album tho).

Big in the UK, but Love Spreads was their only real mass exposure in the US that I know of.

They did two albums. First album is so so, even though the critics who indulged in E back in the day holds it as the bands best effort. I personally think the first album is to much pop, it lacks the heaviness of their 2nd album. No heavy guitars, much lamer early 90's flower power stuff. It has not aged very well either. The 2nd album still sounds quite fresh.

Stone Roses came out about the same time as Happy Mondays, The Charlatans and other UK bands of the time. The first album became quite a hit but the band wanted to leave their label. It took three years for the follow up to come out, now on Geffen. It's a great drug infested, indiepopstonergroove album. I love it. Production was sort of a mish mash, I know the legendary John Lecki was involved on a few tracks at least.

When you want to know more about a band, check out allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-stone-roses-mn0000564333#discography

The opeing track to their 2nd album Second Coming is one of my soundtrack songs to the 90's. It's focking awesome. Listen to that driving base line and the funky wah wah driven guitar riffs - then tell you don't feel like hitting the bong full time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbafSmvn6bI

edit to ad: the song Love Spreads that Zen posted above is also from Second coming. Also a great track with very cool guitars.

I Wanna Be Adored is a great tune which recently regained some popularity when it was covered by The Raveonettes. Other than that, I agree that The Stone Roses were just an OK band. Not great, not awful, just OK. It doesn't look like they're aging too well from the NME pics in your link.

It doesn't look like they're aging too well from the NME pics in your link.

No shit. Ian Brown looks like a mummy.

Sometime in the late 90's I spent an afternoon backstage at a Swedish festival drinking beer with Mani, their base player - then with Primal Scream. He was just a super friendly english bloke. We became quite loaded, ha ha.

Here's a full show from last year with the band:

They had a good tune with some great tone and dirty slide playing around 1994 or '95.

Love Spreads

Cool tune.. and I always thought it was The Charlatans.

The opeing track to their 2nd album Second Coming is one of my soundtrack songs to the 90's. It's focking awesome. Listen to that driving base line and the funky wah wah driven guitar riffs - then tell you don't feel like hitting the bong full time.

The bass playing seems to be one of the big things about this band. Pretty sure I've seen the guy mentioned in a few polls.

No shit. Ian Brown looks like a mummy.

I've got a solo record of his also... guess I'd put it in the "I've yet to relate" category.

Here's a full show from last year with the band:

Double bass drums... now that is cool.

I don't want to come off as a hater of this band.. There's so much hoopla surrounding them that I want to get it. I will seek out the 2nd album, and give a listen.

I absolutely love the first album. I was not an x user, but I loved dancing while fully liqour'd up to Fools Gold at Neo in Chicago, & many a House Party. Really liked the 2nd album to. I just loved the grooves and the mood the music had/has. I always wondered what would have bee for them if they hadn't run into the legal mess they did. ~Ted U

Dare I suggest a thread to cover a bunch of this kind of stuff from the late 80s until maybe the height of Britpop like 96?

A compare and contrast between the gems and the shite?

Start one up. I'm always interested in seeing if I might have overlooked a good band from the past.

I remember when that 1st Stone Roses LP came out in the late 80's . It seemed very different . I liked it then and still enjoy both albums now . I saw a couple of bands at SXSW this year that sounded very similar to the Stone Roses 1st record . Not my first or second choice in music but I think they still move and influence people and bands . Their music has a certain feel and style that is very recognizable .

I remember when that 1st Stone Roses LP came out in the late 80's . It seemed very different . I liked it then and still enjoy both albums now . I saw a couple of bands at SXSW this year that sounded very similar to the Stone Roses 1st record . Not my first or second choice in music but I think they still move and influence people and bands . Their music has a certain feel and style that is very recognizable .

Roshark, What were the names of the bands at SXSW that sounded like The Roses?

Silversun Pickups give me that Roses kinda feel.

Archived