Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Value of the most expensive guitar you own?

Most expensive guitar you own?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does the poll mean "expensive" as in what I expect the value to be if I sell it (some kind of estimated market value)?

Or the amount of money I paid for the guitar?

Don't know. I guess I just assumed the value and the price were both in the same range. Wrong assumption, now I see. :(

A casual check on Ebay would quell that assumption!

I am guessing I could get $1500 for my best Hamer but that's up for debate. It looks like Studio Customs are selling for below that consistently.

And conversely, PRSs tend to sound underwhelming due to their insistence on using their underwhelming proprietary pickups.

This news just in from 2003, apparently.

You should check out the more recent PRS pickups - the 57/08, 59/09, DGT, and 53/10 pickups are all standard sized and sound great...and the 408 pickups (which are proprietary in size and shape) are fantastic.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

The (lack of) quality/desirability of their pickups (regardless of year/model) is reflected in the number of people using them in non-PRS guitars.

The (lack of) quality/desirability of their pickups (regardless of year/model) is reflected in the number of people using them in non-PRS guitars.

Like who, aside from endorsers and hobbyists?

Like who, aside from endorsers and hobbyists?

No one I'm aware of. My point being if their newer pickups are "fantastic", why aren't they being sought out for retrofit into other guitars.

I've got a couple les Paul's that are probably worth 3k or so. But my beat to hell 78 lp standard is worth more than that to me- realistically is prob 'worth' maybe $1500. It was my first good guitar (in '85) and its not for sale.

My main players are an 03 Gibson v I paid $600 for, and a ce 22 prs I bought here off hoboman. Both excellent guitars and I know playing live they're gonna get some dings.

• 1 year later...

I sold almost all of my guitars over the [past few years due to arthritis, but now that I'm surgically repaired I am starting to get a few. Still nothing about 1200 or so though. There are a few guitars I just like to own, so they will come first.

My B12M is the most expensive guitar I own, and also the one with the highest (personal) value. My wife got it for me as a wedding present, as she thought it stunk that the bride gets a ring and the groom just gets a band.

After that, my flame Cali (built for NAMM) probably has the highest value, but who knows what that actually is right now??

Upper limit has been (and will be, I hope) 1.500 Dollars (NOT Euro, that would be 2.000 Dollars). Paid them not too long ago for a nice Hamer (and I will have sell some stuff to compensate that).

And talking about value: All of my guitars are priceless to me. Until (see above...€).

And the special "something" that makes a guitar a keeper has nothing to do with the price you paid. Besides sound, playability, craftamanship etc. to me it is always the story behind the aquisition that makes a git valuable.

Just my two cents.

Fender Stratocaster 1976, Swamp Ash, Natural wood, white pick-guard, Maple neck and fret, built in stratoblaster preamp go for around $2600 today. One of the best 70's model's according to a guitar mag. Paid around $400 in 1984 from the Atlanta Music Store.

80's BC Rich ST 3 Hot Pink worth over a grand I think, paid $300 in the mid 90's

After getting my first good job, I bought a Rickenbacker 381v69 in the color of the year "Montezuma Brown."

It looked something like this 6-string pic I got off the 'net:

42610.jpg

Between ordering and receipt, my wife and I had our first and second kids (twins). When we had our third child, three years later, it was time to let it go. I made a grand on the sale, even though it was under-priced (I sold it on eBay). The buyer told me he expected to flip it for an additional $2500.

It was the most beautiful and rare guitar I have ever owned. Rick Hall suggested they made had three of them. I'm really sorry to have let it go.

Pfft, I've been playing parts guitars for the last 6 years. I suppose the CE 22 is the most expensive at 900 used but it is only used when a humbucker tone is needed ( like super rarely ). Average cost of gigging guitars is an HFC friendly 350. Bought a cool SG that actually sounded good to me w humbuckers but gave to #1 son, think it was 800

Not sure which one's the most valuable.

You tell me:

Hamer Standard Bass: 4-digit

Hamer Standard 12 Bass

1977 Music Man Sting Ray in Inca Silver

1983 Fullerton '57 reissue Precision in Candy Apple Red (1982 pot date codes)

With classicals the price is in the craftsmanship. Cheap tonewoods and cookie-cutter sweatshop builds don't cut it for discriminating classical players like they do for us mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging electric players.

Excuse me, but I happen to be mouth breathing knuckle dragging AND discriminating :P

The most I have paid is $1500. It was for the Hamer Camo Vector '81 I still own.

Well, a year later and now I'm the proud owner of Kev's 4-digit Standard. That piece of both Hamer and metal history has to be the most expensive axe I own. :)

I'm guessing the 78 LPC I own is worth considerably more than the $1100 I paid for it back in 1999. It's a little beat up, has, now that I think of it, none of the original hardware or pickups (though I have the original pots/switches packed away), and seriously needs new, matching screws all the way around, but I'm guessing, depending on time of year, I could get between 2k and 2.5k, judging from EBay.

It's funny -- the only thing I bought that went up in value was the one thing I bought without thinking about that at all. A crackhead stole my LP Studio out of our equipment truck. The insurance check I got to replace it was enough to buy that guitar, which I had been lusting after but was also pretty much the only used Les Paul that would have fit the bill around Jackson for that price anyway.

I sold two of my three most valuable guitars this spring, which leaves me with the Lowden O32 as my most valuable guitar (I'm guessing somewhere north of $2K). It is a strange time for guitar valuation, and I am finding it harder to predict what my guitars will sell for. Also, I'm finding the quality of lower priced imports is making me less tempted by higher priced instruments. I am getting at least as much pleasure playing the two Asian made guitars I purchased with the proceeds (Korea (Vox) and China (Bedell)) as I did the USA built guitars I sold, and had enough money left over for a nice family vacation and two weeks at camp for my daughter.

As a heads up, if you are looking for a quality, all solid wood acoustic guitar, Zzounds and American Musical Supply are blowing out Chinese made Bedell guitars at very low prices:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Bedell-Guitars

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=bedell&pa=29&key=q&form=search

I have played about a dozen Chinese made Bedells, and have been very impressed. I purchased a parlor (OH-12-G) and have an orchestra (MB-17-G) and dreadnaught (TBCE-18-G) on order.

lol...not very much....probably the new 1942 Gibson J-45 reissue I bought a Dave's Guitars about 14 years ago, and I doubt it's even worth $1,500.

Three were less than a grand, and the rest were less than $500.

I'm not quite there either. I can't see myself spending over 3500 on an electric. Never say never. I can, however see me doing that for an acoustic.

Archived