Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Value of the most expensive guitar you own?

Most expensive guitar you own?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With classicals the price is in the craftsmanship. Cheap tonewoods and cookie-cutter sweatshop builds don't cut it for discriminating classical players like they do for us mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging electric players.

Good point for sure. The other thing for electric, of course you need a decent guitar to start with, but lately I've been kind of thinking that the amp is the really crucial link.

(Not that the guitar isn't important of course, but a good amp will make a lot of guitars sound nice, whereas a great guitar through a so-so amp, not as much)

And that's not as right as one might expect at first. Queen showed us how to make iconic music on a small self made amp circuit with a 2'' speaker. Whatever equipment you have, there still needs music to be made.

Valuable to whom? I value my best guitar (an '89 USA Cali which I purchased new at dealer cost) more than anyone would ever be willing to pay me for it. In fact, I value it approximately 10x its market value, so no one will ever be able to tempt me to part with it. It's staying with me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I voted in the >$2,500 range, because that's how much I paid for my 2013 LP Standard Koa after tax; before tax, it would be <$2,500.

But as far as value? My Hamers, of course--they're priceless!

I had the good fortune to buy a '59 Strat in Sonic Blue for $1,500.00 and the STUPIDITY to resell it two days later for $1,800.00. I saw one go for $75,000.00 before the major correction about eight years ago. My present most valuable guitar is a 1992 Pre-Historic Les Paul Standard made by Tom Murphy: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure which one's the most valuable.

You tell me:

Hamer Standard Bass: 4-digit

Hamer Standard 12 Bass

1977 Music Man Sting Ray in Inca Silver

1983 Fullerton '57 reissue Precision in Candy Apple Red (1982 pot date codes)

The 1977 Sting Ray with the Inca Silver finish is your most valuable bass. Even if the 4 digit Standard bass could bring a higher value, the Sting Ray will be an easier bass to sell for a high price. If you have to hold out to get a high price for an instrument then its value is not as solid as that of an instrument you can sell any day for a high price.

Those who voted >$3500 were custom orders from the latest Jol era, right?

My Shishkov Ultimate will be my most expensive ever by a large margin. Hence my recent selling spree to finance it. But I couldn't resist the chance to be in on a little piece of guitar history and help keep the Hamer DNA alive.

I will say my MotorAve might be WORTH a good bit, as it's Number 0004 of Mark's builds and I got it for a steal.

If i were practical and still making student/working musician money I'd just have a couple $350 Japanese Teles and not even think about value and collections and stuff. Man, age and a little discretionary income can warp our values, eh?

It depends??? For most expensive I always go off of new value, My Composite Acoustics was around 2K new but I have no idea what my 2003 USA Monaco Elite would have cost new. It's a 2003 custom built 3A quilted maple indigo blue with gold hardware any idea?

I paid a bit under $2,500 for my most expensive guitar, which is an acoustic Collings OM1. I bought it used, but it still took a lot of internal justification to part with that much for a guitar, but I wanted to reward myself for getting through some things with that one, special "lifetime" acoustic.

My other guitars have been between $400 (Strat) and $1,200 (G&L). The Hamer's in the middle.

The most I've spent on a guitar was $1800 for my '95 Hamer Korina Standard #46, which was a bucket list guitar for me. I ate Ramen soup for awhile to afford it but I love it, no regrets. It may not sell for that now, but it's not for sale. I do however bequeath it to fellow Daytonian TomTerriffic in case of my untimely demise.

It's a toss up between these two for most expensive.

This one from 2011 --

916-1.jpg

Or this one from 2006 --

k65-2.jpg

Both sound incredible...

I've had 4 digits, Huber, 59 LP Jr,and a bunch of other expensive guitars. The 59 lp jr sounded the best but the neck was too big. I bought it from the guy that owned THD amps in the late 90's. Bought 4 more and never found one with the same tone. 4 digit sounded great also but the shape was just too weird for me and the neck too small.

So after years of searching I ended with thwe 3 best guitras for me. All are early 80's specials.

$450 white 1982 hamer, set-up by Dan Erlwhine, this is my speed machine, low frets, punk special. Fast, fast, fast but frets are getting low. Has GoodWood pickups.

$500 white 1982,re-top and re-finish into a single um. Peter Florence 59 pickup. Best tone of all my guitars.

$2000 Murkat black single hum special, beautiful looking and sounding guitar, want to try a Florence 59 but it's pretty good right now. Im very careful when I play it as I don't want to ding it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently, I havent thought about the value of my instruments. I admit that most of the nicer ones were bought used, and though many remain in their cases, they are all player guitars. It is okay for me to get the money I paid for them, that is if I ever think of selling some...

Are we to factor in costs associated with making it fully playable in addition to initial purchase costs? :P:lol:

You mean like paying to restore or reinvent guitars? Nahhh... That would be like a pickup upgrade on entry level guitar not bringing up the value of the guitar. Sometimes you get your money back. Sometimes you do not.

Actually, on a semi-serious note: my most expensive guitar turned out to be something of a dud and needed roughly 300 dollars to bring it up to where it should have been. <cough-cough, gibson, cough> This did NOT include/involve re-paint or different type switches.

It will be the SuperPro I buy as soon as I find "The One". For now, I would guess it is my SSI Custom or maybe V-62S, but they are likely well below $1500 - maybe even $1k, since one is modified and one has had some minor neck issues (since resolved for the most part).

Besides, anything over $1k gets you bling and bragging rights if we are talking electrics. Agreed that acoustic instruments are a different story in that regard.

Mine is just over $3500...the Rainsong Jazz guitar.

Funny, tho.

In early 2009, I didn't own a single guitar that cost more than $500. I had 20 guitars, and 15 of them were $200 or less.

On my deployment to Iraq, I kinda went crazy. The Blueburst Centaura, for a little over $1k, a 12-string Chap for $900. Then when I got back I got a Cali Elite for $1400, then sold it within a month (because I wanted something else and it wasn't *quite* as impressive as I hoped), a Peavey Vandenberg Custom for $1400, a Steinberger ZT3 for $1k, a couple Westone Pantera X390s for $1k each...

Now, a bunch got bought/sold

Now I have ~40 guitars, and not only are less than 5 are under $200, but no fewer than four cost no less than $1500/each and account for $8.5k in all (Rainsong Jazz, B-Way Guitars Mercury Head, PRS Custom 22 Soapbar 10 Top & Hamer Vintage S)

And now, in addition to these 4 that are over $1500, I have an additional 16 that are at least $500:

Yamaha RGX 1212

Yamaha PAC 812v

Rainsong Acoustic

Cort Garage2 Matthias Jabs Signature

Hamer USA Diablo (red)

Hamer USA Diablo (green)

Hamer USA Chap 12-string

Hamer USA California

Hamer USA Eclipse

Murkat Bengal

Westone Pantera x390

Jon Kammerer Guitars small-body Walnut

Jon Kammerer Guitars Jazz Hollowbody

Jon Kammerer Guitars full-body Cherrywood

Jon Kammerer Guitars small-body semi-hollow

Alvarez Trevor Rabin Signature

Pretty big change over the last 5 years for me.

Archived