Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Value of the most expensive guitar you own?

Most expensive guitar you own?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are we to factor in costs associated with making it fully playable in addition to initial purchase costs? :P:lol:

fully playable could mean a lot of things. my Cali doubleneck was perfectly fine as I got it, but I don't even know how much I've sunk into it over the years, but the added expenses makes it by far my most "expensive" guitar - several complete pickup swaps, added sustainiac, added Floyd Pro bridge, went through some experimenting with the nut before deciding that I'm not going to find any improvement over a standard Floyd locking nut...and every guitar I own gets Sperzels, no exceptions.

Pretty big change over the last 5 years for me.

So, about $20,000 in guitars and $500 in amps? I think you need more amps.

$700 if you include the Roland Microcube and $750 if you count the solid-state Crate amp sitting in the garage that I can't even seem to give away.

You are so right, tho. Mind if I quote you to my wife?

You think she'd be happy with that quote? Maybe just the "need more amps" part, not the 20k part. ;)

I was thinking about including his telephone number and/or address so she could respond to his suggestion more, ahem, directly.

Mine is just over $3500...the Rainsong Jazz guitar.

Funny, tho.

In early 2009, I didn't own a single guitar that cost more than $500. I had 20 guitars, and 15 of them were $200 or less.

On my deployment to Iraq, I kinda went crazy. The Blueburst Centaura, for a little over $1k, a 12-string Chap for $900. Then when I got back I got a Cali Elite for $1400, then sold it within a month (because I wanted something else and it wasn't *quite* as impressive as I hoped), a Peavey Vandenberg Custom for $1400, a Steinberger ZT3 for $1k, a couple Westone Pantera X390s for $1k each...

Now, a bunch got bought/sold

Now I have ~40 guitars, and not only are less than 5 are under $200, but no fewer than four cost no less than $1500/each and account for $8.5k in all (Rainsong Jazz, B-Way Guitars Mercury Head, PRS Custom 22 Soapbar 10 Top & Hamer Vintage S)

And now, in addition to these 4 that are over $1500, I have an additional 16 that are at least $500:

Yamaha RGX 1212

Yamaha PAC 812v

Rainsong Acoustic

Cort Garage2 Matthias Jabs Signature

Hamer USA Diablo (red)

Hamer USA Diablo (green)

Hamer USA Chap 12-string

Hamer USA California

Hamer USA Eclipse

Murkat Bengal

Westone Pantera x390

Jon Kammerer Guitars small-body Walnut

Jon Kammerer Guitars Jazz Hollowbody

Jon Kammerer Guitars full-body Cherrywood

Jon Kammerer Guitars small-body semi-hollow

Alvarez Trevor Rabin Signature

Pretty big change over the last 5 years for me.

There is probably some struggling musician on here with one guitar and one amp that can smoke the lot of us B)

Anyway, the question was "What is the value of the most expensive guitar you own".

I hope no one answer's "Someone's life, I just had to have that guitar!"

Well purdiness is the most significant qualifier a guitar has to match. :-)

My Newport Pro is way more guitar than I can handle right now, or seriously, ever expect to handle. But it is something towards which to strive.

And it's purdy.

Damn females, always buttin' in with the voice of reason and tasteful restraint. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Value = what it's worth

"what it's worth" = whatever you're willing to pay to get your hands on it, or whatever you require before you're willing to part with it.

Nothing has any intrinsic monetary value.

I grabbed a couple of PRS McCarty's when GC put them on clearance early this year. Their original price was over $3k, but I didn't pay that. One was a little over $2400, the other, purchased a couple of months after the first, just under $1900 (it pays to wait a little longer sometimes). That's still the most I've spent on a guitar.

I should add, though I said "spent" in the past tense, I've been paying for these on the GC card all year, and will continue payments all through 2015. And it's hurtin' me every month. Love those guitars though!

It is my custom ordered Black trans Studio Custom, from the spring of 2007.

<--- The one in my avatar on the left....

I paid just about $ 3000, including shipping and taxes (to Sweden).

As it is just about perfect and priceless etc it is the best buy

I have ever made.

I am truly one lucky guy, forever thankful to the Hamer workshop staff. :)

post-2107-0-62857400-1416698707_thumb.jp

I remind myself that I don't sound very good on even the stuff I have, and a five-digit-archtop won't be changing that.

Wait, So we have to sound good on a guitar in order to justify owning it?!? Oh crap. Looks like I need to sell, well, all of my guitars if that's the case.

Back to the subject of the thread. The most expensive guitar I own has to be my 1970 Les Paul Custom. (At least, I think it's ~1970. Gotta love the preciseness of the Gibby SNs during that era). It's a Black Beauty "fretless wonder" that I bought for $550 used many, many years ago. After I injured my wrist and could no longer play, I sold everything (including, yes, a 4-digit Standard) except for the LPC. I just couldn't bear to be without a guitar, even if I couldn't play, and since the LPC was steadily appreciating the most in value AT THAT TIME, I figured it made the most sense to hang on to the LPC. Well, that and the fact that it sounds absolutely killer.

Fast forward many, many years and I'm able to (sort of) play again. My wrist still gets inflamed but not quite as badly as it used to and at least it's allowing me to play a little so that's better than nothing. I still suck but that's to be expected. Hell, I sucked even before my wrist injury so no change there. ;)

Still miss that pencil-neck 4-digit though.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived