Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Nursing Homes Idea

Summary: Go play at a nursing home.

Discussion: One of the few useful things I do these days is volunteer at a local nursing home. If you don't already know, the most bored people around live in those places. It is really sad, but the residents make the best of it, as do the all the people who help run the place. Over the last year or so I've seen that there are 2 for-sure ways to make those people happy. The first is my big goofy dog, he was born to get petted. And he second is music.

Regarding music....the residents LOVE music. I think it would be very cool for rockers to thump out a few long mellow tunes in a cafeteria full of folks who arrive on walkers or in wheelchairs. A sure bet on a way to spend some quality time cause everybody walks, hobbles or rolls away happy. So, if you have time time and motivation, go play for the old folks. They certainly have the time you will make their day/week/month much brighter.

Thanks for your consideration!

+1! My stepdad used to do exactly this with a little informal music group made up of members from his church. The residents do enjoy and appreciate it, and the players had fun even though it's a community activity thing rather than a paying gig.

I have a buddy, he's about 55, who makes $50-$100 cash a night playing acoustic guitar at retirement homes (not nursing homes). He just plays olds songs and tells corny jokes...

"My family is from Hamilton, and old iron and steel town... my mom irons and my dad steals!"

very true. i spend a lot of time in nursing homes on ambulance runs.

a lot of the residents still are cognizant and cheerful, and would make a great appreciative audience.

A friend of mine sings, plays piano and guitar at nursing homes. He does Sinatra, Broadway stuff, Beatles, Italian songs in Italian, a bit of classical, etc. They love it!

If I end up in a nursing home, I'll probably try and cobble together some fellow geezers to play "Midnight Rambler"!

A friend (jazzer) does this. Recently played at one and, when he was leaving, the director asked if Michael would play one more for a resident that was dying. His favorite song----"You Are My Sunshine". As he played, the normal Pacific NW skies parted, there was a ray of sunshine, the gentleman smiled----And took his last breath as the song ended. Helped him "find the light"
indeed!

Just do NOT bring THIS guitar.....

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/3723777869.html

Very sweet responses, thanks folks. Even one guy with a git and an amp and a couple hours can pull this off. Just make a call to set up a couple hours some afternoon. An incredible amount of good being accomplished with so little effort. There are not just old people, by the way, some of the residents are younger than me. Last, a few of the residents are musicians themselves, or even taught music. So bring your best.

Thanks again.

Thanks for doing this Ranger! Making people feel happy and joyful is always a good thing.

Geez had nothin' but heartache when we did this...

The guitar player from church was specifically asked to put together a small group to come in and do some Sunday morning type stuff.

She was an attender... she knew what we normally do.

So we went in and did it.

1/3 were avowed atheist types and were absolutely incensed that we played 'all that God music'... I got no sympathy... they knew what was happening... maybe they were hoping WE forgot what we were gonna be playing...

1/3 were pizzed because we only played 3 or 4 hymns...

The final 1/3 were appreciative...

One thing bout reaching that age... they aren't shy about letting you know how they feel.(like in the middle of a song... lol)

Geez had nothin' but heartache when we did this...

The guitar player from church was specifically asked to put together a small group to come in and do some Sunday morning type stuff.

She was an attender... she knew what we normally do.

So we went in and did it.

1/3 were avowed atheist types and were absolutely incensed that we played 'all that God music'... I got no sympathy... they knew what was happening... maybe they were hoping WE forgot what we were gonna be playing...

1/3 were pizzed because we only played 3 or 4 hymns...

The final 1/3 were appreciative...

One thing bout reaching that age... they aren't shy about letting you know how they feel.(like in the middle of a song... lol)

I didn't know there were atheists in a nursing home. Maybe it's because I live in the Bible Belt? Sorry it didn't turn out so good for you.

Archived