Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pop, Power pop with cool solos

Don't even make me list all of Weezer's brilliant shit.

-Suzanne

-Buddy Holly

-Dope Nose

...on and on...

Dillon Fence's 'Daylight' is very cool.

Don't even make me list all of Weezer's brilliant shit. -Suzanne -Buddy Holly -Dope Nose ...on and on... Dillon Fence's 'Daylight' is very cool.

I saw Weezer live about 3 years ago, man they really put on a show!! Great stuff. Their first is amazing, and I also like Pinkerton quite a bit, but I've kind of lost track of the albums after that.

Same with Sloan, another great band that I kind of last track of after a certain point. The new drummer in our band is a big Sloan fan, so he's tipping me off to the later albums to pick up.

I caught Sloan a couple years ago with You Am I opening. YAI blew them away, and I'm a big fan of Sloan too. Saw them (Sloan) again last fall, and they were every bit as good as before, but had wised up and gotten a shittier opening band.

Not sure if anyone on the board is familiar with Brian May, the lead guitarist for a band called Queen...he wasn't too shabby for power-pop solos, either.

I caught Sloan a couple years ago with You Am I opening. YAI blew them away, and I'm a big fan of Sloan too. Saw them (Sloan) again last fall, and they were every bit as good as before, but had wised up and gotten a shittier opening band.

Does Sloan get much recognition in the States? I know they were on Sub Pop for a while, but I think when they put out One Chord to Another, it was a Beatles-y pop inspired album (a great album!) right at the height of the grunge era, so I don't think the record company was too happy about them after that.

Here in Canada they are well loved by a cross section of folks that loved the "alternative" music in the 90s....but they don't get as much attention as other Canadian indie acts like Feist and Arcade Fire. I think they've been around too long, and they have never been the cool thing, or have a dramatic story or whatnot, they just keep on truckin' on putting out albums...in some ways I guess the press gets tired of them after a while. Too consistent, not enough drama! ha ha

Sloan's arc of fame reminds me of that of Teenage Fanclub in the UK and Sonic Youth here. All should've been huge IMHO.

Ah, they're no Superdrag.

Sloan's arc of fame reminds me of that of Teenage Fanclub in the UK and Sonic Youth here. All should've been huge IMHO.

I can understand why Sonic Youth weren't huge, great band, but pretty abrasive for some. But yeah, Sloan and Teenage Fanclub have pure pop stuff..singalong stuff that you think would go well over the radio. Too ugly maybe? (just joking) ha ha. Who knows really?

There's a ton of bands that should have been bigger but for whatever reason never turned out to be big stars...we could start a whole new thread.

The solo and outro in the Tubes' "She's A Beauty" and "Talk To Ya Later" should qualify. It was certainly cool to hear that kind of stuff in a pop song as a kid.

Steve Lukather again, IIRC.

-

Austin

I haven't seen them listed yet, but how about The Only Ones "Another Girl Another Planet"? Great power pop. If you aren't familiar with it, here's the U-tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvO7HNQPFRI.

Right up there with Matthew Sweet, in my book.

A great band and a great song, had the pleasure of seeing them perform live many years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Veatch nails it, (inadvertently?), by mentioning Off Broadways' 'Full Moon Turn My Head Around'

Talk about the 'song within a song', John Ivan comes at you early and often, right up until the end.

Best of all? I think it was played on a Hamer Sunburst.

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

"Full Moon" was Rob Hardings solo opus. Ivan only played rhythm. Can't remember exactly what they said he used, but it was not a Hamer (Rob didn't play Hamers, he was the "single coil" side of the tone for OB). Most likely a Fender, as that was one of Rob's main brand weapons of choice, but could have been his Epi...

Here's the redux version we recorded and released last year, and this time it's definitely a Hamer ('82 Sunburst to be exact), played by yours truly....

https://soundcloud.com/offbroadwayusa/full-moon-turn-my-head-around

Veatch nails it, (inadvertently?), by mentioning Off Broadways' 'Full Moon Turn My Head Around'

Talk about the 'song within a song', John Ivan comes at you early and often, right up until the end.

Best of all? I think it was played on a Hamer Sunburst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEz66nyfPJk'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEz66nyfPJk

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

"Full Moon" was Rob Hardings solo opus. Ivan only played rhythm. Can't remember exactly what they said he used, but it was not a Hamer (Rob didn't play Hamers, he was the "single coil" side of the tone for OB). Most likely a Fender, as that was one of Rob's main brand weapons of choice, but could have been his Epi...

Here's the redux version we recorded and released last year, and this time it's definitely a Hamer ('82 Sunburst to be exact), played by yours truly....

https://soundcloud.com/offbroadwayusa/full-moon-turn-my-head-around'>https://soundcloud.com/offbroadwayusa/full-moon-turn-my-head-around

Ok, but i still inadvertently nailed it, though, right? :)

Though the solo on this cut was just a blip in time, I remember the element of surprise blowing my doors off...even in a time of funk & rock crossovers, pioneered by Prince and Jesse Johnson.
Pretty sure it was a guy named Patrick Buchanan...(!)
Might as well go ahead to 1:59...

What? no mention of Enuff Znuff?

or that Steve Stevens guy on all the Billy Idol hits?

Archived