Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Dantzig Custom Order

As some of you may know, I was negotiating a new custom order with Hamer before their plugg was pulled. As a result, I didn't get to place an order for what was going to be a pretty farging cool follow up to the Custom Chaparral.

After kicking myself a few times, I decided to pursue another option.

On a whim, I contacted Jol Dantzig and started a dialogue about a custom order idea I had. After several conversations both by email and phone, I decided to place an order for one of his guitars. This guitar is similar to the order I was negotiating with Hamer (based on the Talladega Pro).

For those interested, the currrent specs include;

• Figured white Limba body
  • Matching control covers
  • One piece Limba neck (Jol's idea that I agreed with) fat/chunky neck profile
  • Black Ebony fingerboard with a really cool 12th fret inlay
  • 2 Lollar P90's
  • Sustainblock bridge
  • Figured Redwood top

Some of the specs may change a bit but this should be pretty close.

So far this has been a really exciting process as you might imagine! There is NO substitute for working one-on-one with a builder of Jol's caliber. He has some incredible ideas and his knowledge of guitars is incredible. Jol has some really neat ideas for how to finish the guitar, we will discuss more when all parts have come in...

I imagine he may include some updates to his Facebook page throughout the process - he posted a pic of the one-piece Limba neck blank the other day. I will also provide updates where possible.

I realize his work may not be to everyone's personal taste, however, there are some pictures of some of his work since he has left Hamer on his FB page. There are some incredible guitars coming out of his shop.

Cheers...

Here is a teaser of the top on the bench...

post-34839-0-39232700-1432313177_thumb.j

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'm guessing the price isn't all that similar to what Hamer would have cost though... I read that the Crow was $38k, but I can't see any pricing on his site.

Very cool though. Congrats on carrying through with the CO under some serious Hamer lineage. :D

Just a quick note - Jol has 2 categories of guitars that come out of his shop:

1. Signature: Jol builds the entire guitar (The Crow, Hell's Half-Acre, Sakura, etc..)
  2. Team Built: Jol builds/manages the build process of several "former" Hamer luthiers (several of these guitars are prominently photographed on his FB page)

Of course, I fall into category 2. These guitars are similarly priced to the Hamer custom orders. I would encourage anyone who is serious about having a killer guitar built to consider this option.

I hope that helps to clarify...

That all sounds really promising. Are you still following Tally Pro concept?

I DARE you to add metalflake neon Ghost Flames.

C'mon.

DO IT!!

Seriously, keep us posted - that sounds cool.

1. Signature: Jol builds the entire guitar (The Crow, Hell's Half-Acre, Sukara, etc..)
  2. Team Built: Jol builds/manages the build process of several "former" Hamer luthiers (several of these guitars are prominently photographed on his FB page)

Of course, I fall into category 2. These guitars are similarly priced to the Hamer custom orders. I would encourage anyone who is serious about having a killer guitar built to consider this option.

I hope that helps to clarify...

Item # 2 just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I might do it. Or just wait for them to show up on the Dantzig Fan Club Forum for $350.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard about Option #2 before. Do you know which Hamer workshop folks are with him now?

One would think he would market this option a wee bit, particularly given the state of Hamer... :)

Please do keep us posted, and congrats!

1. Team Built: Jol builds/manages the build process of several "former" Hamer luthiers (several of these guitars are prominently photographed on his FB page)

Seriously cool. So it's almost like a real Hamer then, part from the logo on the headstock.

I appreciate the thoughts fellas... Another point of clarification - the build is called the "Tulsa" It is similar to the Talladega/Talladega Pro with some nice modifications to the design, including a very slick looking headstock.

I am a little lost as to why anyone should be considered to have a big set of nads to deal with/announce dealing with Jol???

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the humour but there seems to be a deeper sentiment that is lost on me...sorry for being dense, could anyone explain? :huh:

I may be missing the point of the humour altogether...

I am a little lost as to why anyone should be considered to have a big set of nads to deal with/announce dealing with Jol???

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the humour but there seems to be a deeper sentiment that is lost on me...sorry for being dense, could anyone explain? :huh:

Number one, you need a man's bank account to place custom orders... this would dictate at least an average sized set of adult balls.

Number two, to know what you want and to have the vision to explain it is another realm of nut size

Number three, to have the confidence and patience required for a custom order puts you in even another realm of ball size

Number four, anyone who has more than one custom order under their belt puts them over the top for testicular mass and profundity.

Everything points to gonads that border on the gargantuan. :D

FWIW, having big balls is the exact polar opposite of being foolish and immature.

Archived