Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Dantzig Custom Order

Jol updated me yesterday - All the wood has come in for the guitar. The Limba is normalizing and his words on the Redwood Billet - "it's pretty spectacular", so we shall see. He will be sending some pics as thing's start progressing. This should be pretty cool!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like Jol has posted a pic of my neck on his FB page this morning... :)

Will you get it down to the lower HFC for the off-FB people?

My bad, I will post a little later - it's nothing really significant though...just a pic of him drawing reference points for the contoured heel...

My bad, I will post a little later - it's nothing really significant though...just a pic of him drawing reference points for the contoured heel...

Before you judge significant or not, just think about your audience... and then share the pictures regardless. :D

Before you judge significant or not, just think about your audience... and then share the pictures regardless. :D

You should know the rule already. Pics or it doesn't count. ;-)

That looks like an old laboratory than a workshop.

I don't remember *anyone* questioning Jol's skills. Dude can make guitars, of that there is no doubt. I am one that has been critical of Jol in the past but it was never because of his skills, and I never once doubted that he believed in what he was doing. IMHO he deserves respect for those beliefs and he certainly got it from me. I also believe that he deserves a lot of credit for the success of Hamer guitars as a whole. It is true that they eventually faltered, and Jol may deserve some criticism for that, but without Jol I don't believe we ever get to what we all consider the pinnacle of Hamer guitars.

This guitar will be spectacular, no question.

I think that a lot of people have the wrong idea about our attitudes toward Jol. When Jol was criticized it was because we cared about the brand and wanted to see it succeed. It was never personal that I can remember. Again, I was one of the more vocal critics. But I have nothing but respect for the guy and wish him nothing but the best. I am really looking forward to this guitar.

My custom guitar buying days are over, but if I were ever to get another custom order, I would absolutely consider Jol.

I don't remember *anyone* questioning Jol's skills.

That's 'cause they didn't.

:huh:

Kind of a heavy post for such a placid thread, Poe. Someone call you out?

Edited for redundancy.

Just curious, has anyone else "come out" as a Dantzig customer? Coolfeel is the 1st one that I've seen.

I gave him a ride once. Does that count?Bm

Depends on your definition of "ride".

There is something weird about hearing/seeing the words "come out" and giving someone a "ride" in the same thread... :blink::huh:

I am a little lost as to why anyone should be considered to have a big set of nads to deal with/announce dealing with Jol???

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the humour but there seems to be a deeper sentiment that is lost on me...sorry for being dense, could anyone explain? :huh:

I may be missing the point of the humour altogether...

My guess is that Jol was known to put the kibosh on a lot of CO Hamers over the years that weren't up to hi, uh, some might say snobbish tastes. The crazy boomer-laden COs we saw the past two years would not have been approved under his regime, from what I understand. So, in that sense, a lot of Hamer fans didn't like the guy much.

Feel free to correct me.

He was cornered, so don't break his balls.

Bm

Hey thats great news,I'm sure it will be a beauty.Keep us updated,I'm goin to Joels blog to check out the progress.attachicon.gifDSCN0138.JPG

Can't wait to see the finished product.

That guitar is perfect. I can hear the feedback from those 'f' holes in the sound room with the Mesa Boogie. Perfect visual balance. Plus the Artist is light weight. I hate heavy guitars. Like those people on the Discovery Channel. They weigh 800 pounds and you start to feel sorry for them until you see them balancing five plates of food on their chest.

Bm

Just curious, has anyone else "come out" as a Dantzig customer? Coolfeel is the 1st one that I've seen.

I gave him a ride once. Does that count?Bm

Depends on your definition of "ride".

Ha! Ya, no shit. It was in my yellow, tank, Mercedes diesel, 4-speed standard that didn't have third gear. I had to whine out second gear to catch fourth gear.

Bm

Where did Tom Maule go? I thought I saw a pic of him at Jol's workshop...

He left to go work for a woodshop in Winsted, Ct (Where I live){Come for the crack by the river}. They had to let him go. Nobody knows what Mr. Maule is doing now.

Bminorelse

I love custom build threads. My last adventure (a very satisfying one) was with Ian Anderson (not the singer). Photos and updates only built my excitement. I'm now doing a Flying V in a "tv" finish.

This thread has been fun so far. I'll enjoy watching the progression of the instrument.

I think Poe helped focus the thread. No matter what you think about Jol, this thread is about a good man's custom build with the luthier he'd most like to build it.

Whoa. I think 5 posts in a row is a new record.

(golf clap)

What else would you expect from a guy wearing a 5-neck?

Archived