Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Dantzig Custom Order

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the posts.

I have a personal milestone I might reach in a year or three. If I make it, I think I'll do a CO. I think it will be a Dantzig as Hamer no longer exists and I

do like the Dantzig headstock. I am assuming and can get from Dantzig what is largely a Hamer in terms of design and quality - I'm not looking for a $30,000 guitar with a story. Just something sort of fancy and nice.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update for those following along here... Jol gave me a ring this morning and updated me a bit on things at the shop. He has been real busy toggling back and forth between making guitars and his media production company. He will be sending some pics this week on the progress and I will share as I get them...

Quick update for those following along here... Jol gave me a ring this morning and updated me a bit on things at the shop. He has been real busy toggling back and forth between making guitars and his media production company. He will be sending some pics this week on the progress and I will share as I get them...

Looking f@#$% forward to it. :) Man, it's been a while! :)

What kind of media production company is he running? I thought his bulletin in PG was it.

What kind of media production company is he running? I thought his bulletin in PG was it.

I imagine others here may be able to speak about it better than I am - Steve or Chris?

He does some photography and video production and has been traveling around a lot recently working on stuff. Some of the stuff he has produced in the past includes the Building an American Legend Hamer shop documentary among other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XtaJ0jV6Cc

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update - Jol sent me a pic of the Redwood billet he will be using for this guitar. Whoa!!! The billet looks pretty farging killer!!! Man - this should be pretty sick. He will be getting the billet sometime next week and will do a quick one-over to ensure there are no hidden issues and then he will proceed with the build.

I'm glad that Jol is still working. Seriously, if you can get him to do exactly what you want without breaking the bank or compromising your idea to the point of thinking why am I ordering this, I'm sure it will be an awesome and very well made guitar ! I've always felt the Hamer QC and build were far better at the end, than during the glory years.

Then again, I've personally never gotten the exact guitar that I ordered from Hamer, but maybe I was unlucky multiple times :)

Love what I have seen on Jols page though.

A quick update - Jol sent me a pic of the Redwood billet he will be using for this guitar. Whoa!!! The billet looks pretty farging killer!!! Man - this should be pretty sick. He will be getting the billet sometime next week and will do a quick one-over to ensure there are no hidden issues and then he will proceed with the build.

I'm glad that Jol is still working. Seriously, if you can get him to do exactly what you want without breaking the bank or compromising your idea to the point of thinking why am I ordering this, I'm sure it will be an awesome and very well made guitar ! I've always felt the Hamer QC and build were far better at the end, than during the glory years.

Then again, I've personally never gotten the exact guitar that I ordered from Hamer, but maybe I was unlucky multiple times :)

I think you raise a valid point. Regarding Hamer - the Custom Chap I got in 2012 was EXACTLY as I ordered and it was custom spec'd to the T.

When I first started this custom order with Jol we talked several times before I placed the order. Jol was very open to the ideas I had and even offered a few of his own. I didn't go into this particular build with precise specs, I thought it would be cool to bounce ideas of of Jol and get his input as well. What I get vs what I have ordered - only time will tell. I'm hopeful that it will turn out well though.

I think you raise a valid point. Regarding Hamer - the Custom Chap I got in 2012 was EXACTLY as I ordered and it was custom spec'd to the T.

When I first started this custom order with Jol we talked several times before I placed the order. Jol was very open to the ideas I had and even offered a few of his own. I didn't go into this particular build with precise specs, I thought it would be cool to bounce ideas of of Jol and get his input as well. What I get vs what I have ordered - only time will tell. I'm hopeful that it will turn out well though.

Now that Hamer is gone and there really is no branded name to live up to, I'd have to say the build will be better than any recent Hamer as you are now dealing with a one off and have the attention of the man himself and a select group of luthiers.

I'm sure you will be MORE than happy... Keep after him during all phases as he has been known to change things up .

Archived