Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Holy sh*t! That Kemper Profiling Amp is for me!

zorrow

A fellow player purchased the new rack-compatible Kemper profiling amp. It comes with a bunch of great IR-based profiles, but the greatest thing about it is that you can easily create your own profiles. Thus, we profiled my rig in a snap, and suddenly my own sound was into that (not so) little box. Awesome!

Just imagine: Now you can carry in one single box all that huge pedalboard full of loop switches and crap. That's a major asset, no BS!

I definitively want one -and even the ugly-assed lunchbox model would do!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a ton of loadable profiles out there since some stealers ordered a bunch of equipment new just to send it back after profiling.

Sure great technology to capture your own sound. The way it is handled is not so great.

$0.02

I recently went to an AXE FX 2 Mk2 set up and it is the best thing I have ever done.

With V10 I cannot believe how good the valve tones are. It even responds the same way as a valve amp. These profilers have come an awful long way in the last few years.

The Bognor patches are to die for as are the Plexi's. Truly amazing at all volumes.

I put a Kemper lunchbox at the top of my WTB list. Will have to move some stuff first though, but this is definitively the perfect device for me.

BTW, I called Steve's Music Montreal yesterday and they confirmed they're the only official Kemper dealers in this region. They will have some in stock soon. I will very probably buy from them, because that means I'll have a 1 year zero-interest financing plan + local service.

It's a great device though. The guitarist of my son's band Daily Friday is using one for while. He's kind of the Feynman of Germany. I bet he won't sell it any time soon. It's giving him the fattest live sound ever. They play 300 average audience events frequently. So, I think it is quite a practice proof then.

Zorrow, go and scan the Deacy sound before you sell the MAXXFX. You may need it...

Zorrow, go and scan the Deacy sound before you sell the MAXXFX. You may need it...

You read my mind. ;)

A fellow player purchased the new rack-compatible Kemper profiling amp. It comes with a bunch of great IR-based profiles, but the greatest thing about it is that you can easily create your own profiles. Thus, we profiled my rig in a snap, and suddenly my own sound was into that (not so) little box. Awesome!

Just imagine: Now you can carry in one single box all that huge pedalboard full of loop switches and crap. That's a major asset, no BS!

Hi Zorrow, what kind of speaker system did you play it through? That seems to make a big difference with modelors/profilers. Or maybe it was through a PA?

When I called Darc the other day and told him about the Univalve enroute, his first comment was 'it would be cool to profile the different sounds with all the tubes through my Kemper'. He's had one for a few months, and he seems pretty happy with it although I haven't had a chance to hear it yet. One of these days lol.

Hi Zorrow, what kind of speaker system did you play it through? That seems to make a big difference with modelors/profilers. Or maybe it was through a PA?

You can actually profile a rig using a DI box, though of course you'll get no IR simulation for the speaker/cab part of the chain. But in my own case that's perfect, because the Kemper would act just as the preamp, and my Tech21 Power Engine 60 would take care of the power section.

You can actually profile a rig using a DI box, though of course you'll get no IR simulation for the speaker/cab part of the chain. But in my own case that's perfect, because the Kemper would act just as the preamp, and my Tech21 Power Engine 60 would take care of the power section.

So you were playing it through the Tech 21?

So you were playing it through the Tech 21?

No, no. I just profiled my pedalboard.

I just tried to say that profiling the pedalboard only is what would do it for me, because I would connect the Kemper to the Tech 21 as well.

kemper_profiler_rack.jpg

You don't need to get the ugly lunch box one, they've got a rack mount out now. You can also get the rack with a built in amp. Personally I wouldn't... I'd loose my whole rig with one little failure.

They sure sound good though.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have two - the original one plus the new rackmount. They've also just upgraded the firmware which gives polyphonic pitch-shifting (drop-tuning), plus true temparament tuning - so anything you play with slightly out-of-tune strings plays bang in tune - now that's clever.

We're using it to track all the guitar parts on the next album - and it's become Andy's go-to device for almost everything he does. He's spent the last few weeks profiling literally dozens of head/cab/ combinations and now has a massive library of tones which can be heard on the last/latest albums from Accept, Testament, Killswitch, Carcass and a bunch of others.

It's also become his live rig - he's running it straight into the PA and getting his monitor feed on in-ears, with the walls of backline just there for show. I'm still reluctant to go that far though, and I'm sticking to my trad setup for the time being.

Although the tones he's profiled are his own and not for public consumption, I know he'll make exceptions for me and my HFC friends, so as/when you guys do go down this route, PM or email me and I'll see what I can do.

That is some mighty impressive tech, and I am equally impressed with this chap Andy! And here I thought the metal guys were all barely literate knuckle-draggers! (ducks)

Your willingness to "hook up" the HFC members is pretty cool as well, Kevin.

... BTW, I called Steve's Music Montreal yesterday and they confirmed they're the only official Kemper dealers in this region...

Guerilla Guitars, Moog Audio and Long & McQuade are also Montreal dealers.

Archived