Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer of beer?

Montelovesco

Question

For fun and knowing that I might start a holy war: Now I have the chance to test some US made beers, and I wonder what's the most recommended.

I started with Coors (by accident, and not so bad for someone who is used to bavarian beer) and bought some Miller High Life (in memory of the Miller guitar made by Hamer). Any ideas? Please stick to brands I can easily get in bottles or cans, since I don't have the chance to get out very often.

If we are talking about the "Hamer" of beers, then we are looking for a beer that delivers very high quality at a moderate price. ...

Never mind the resale value. ;)

I would recommend German beer, not only bavarian. Well, I think Monte not looking for that.

Okay, I followed your suggestion and tried (better: I am trying) one of the locals: Chaotic Double. Made by Manzanita Brewin Co. in Santee, San Diego. Heavy Stuff. Heavier than an German bock or double bock I think, with 10,1% alcohol. Whew. To say it with Joanna Dean: Once is enough...

I would recommend German beer, not only bavarian.

Too vague. Germany is no different than every other country when it comes to beer. They have their great ones...Fraziskaner Hefe for example...but they also make crap beers. Not all German beers are good and a lot of beer drinkers aren't too keen on the lager style of beer. Lagers constitute a large portion of German beer. Don't get me wrong, a well executed lager is a fantastic drink, but in the beer world the ales rule.

Please Daniel, try it.....not all at the same time...This can have some subtile side effects, more or less comparable with German or Belgium beer effects :)

Or at least not before flying. Keep your reputation on board :)

And as european, I think we shall not forget our irish cousins for their dark one...even if I personnally prefer Hefe...my first love of Germany

If you like a IPA Hop Czar tastes great, has a high alcohol content and is on sale quite frequently.

If you want a cheap American beer that just tastes ok PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) is popular amongst hipsters and white trash throughout the PNW

Every single Samuel Smith variety I've ever tried has been fantastic ...

Okay, I followed your suggestion and tried (better: I am trying) one of the locals: Chaotic Double. Made by Manzanita Brewin Co. in Santee, San Diego. Heavy Stuff. Heavier than an German bock or double bock I think, with 10,1% alcohol. Whew. To say it with Joanna Dean: Once is enough...

I agree, that is a pretty heavy beer with a "stronger than I like" malt taste. But don't shy away from others on the list...several articles have determined San Diego is the best beer city in the country, though most (myself included) would only say we're in the top five.

also bells hop slam & pilsner urquel ( good availability )

The problem with Urquel is that it doesn't travel well and can get skunky in a hurry. When it's fresh it is one of the very best lagers in the world, but finding a fresh case can be *very* difficult.

several articles have determined San Diego is the best beer city in the country, though most (myself included) would only say we're in the top five.

No question about it, top five in the least and a strong argument can be made for the top spot.

And as european, I think we shall not forget our irish cousins for their dark one...

The problem with this is that the best Guinness isn't even brewed in Ireland. It is brewed in the Caribbean Islands. No BS...the Guiness I had down there was about 9% alc and bottle conditioned. It was simply the finest stout I have ever tasted. Not sure if they still make it, but I have had Guinness in Ireland, the US, and the Islands and of the three, it wasn't even close.

Since Dogfish Head is my hometown brew, and I've been a fan since the first week the brewery/pub was opened, they will get my vote.

Their Chickory Stout is still my all-time favorite.

New Belgium Brewing CO. from Colorado; Fat Tire is one my favorites.

Beers from Sweetwater, ATL, GA

I like a lot of imports from all over.

From Mexico I like Dos Equis, Tecate and Negro Modelo.

Of course I'm partial to my own homebrew!

....Already 3 pages on beer...I love this forum and cannot imagine how many pages we shall count if we were speaking about women (if this were not in the banned part of the forum)...

This remains marginal but this may interest as well the frenchspeaking people curious...

http://www.bieresbretonnes.fr/

...at this point in time the US is second only to the Belgians in variety and quality of beers.

Looking through the websites posted as suggestions by stratacus and many other of you guys, I can well believe it. They all look fantastic - what a selection, and a real eye-opener for us Brits who always assumed that American beer started and ended in MIlwaukee.

Just in case anyone was wondering how come the band has its own beer - here's my kid brother's microbrewery.....

http://www.northstarbeers.co.uk/

I've been researching the question of the "best beer" for 35 years. I'll just keep doing it and let you know when I find it.

Isn't the pleasure in the quest ? Like for the Graal ?

The US is crazy about Microbreweries. Having spent 13 years in Colorado (where every city had at least 3-5 microbreweries), I thought it was nuts. Then I started going to Bend, OR for work. Might have the highest # of breweries per capita in the country (our holiday party was at the Deschutes Brewery). Now I live in Central Virginia, and we are surrounded by microbreweries AND micro-cideries (yeah, hard apple cider is a quickly growing segment here).

My fave beers are hard to find. I love Crux's Saisson (little brewery in Bend). My wife can't stand beer so if I bring anything home to the house, it's cider.

Shout to pirateflynn !! He might like this thread

well, is all about local beer these days (except for Belgian beer, which is to beer what France is to wine)

I've met a few good beers when i visited Bruges with my husband (who comes from the French border, Lille), the thing that i love is that in Old Bruges, every restaurant has a brewery (as i recall), so i cannot name them.

Jump the pond, come to Quebec and Quebec city, and you have a huge French and Belgian communities, ready to show us their "savoir faire", and Quebequers have learn a few tricks as well, so here are some of the beauties of this corner:

canada195_Unibroue_beer.jpg

I'm kind of surprised that nobody's suggested Yuengling. I sure wish we could buy it in Texas!

well, is all about local beer these days (except for Belgian beer, which is to beer what France is to wine)

I've met a few good beers when i visited Bruges with my husband (who comes from the French border, Lille), the thing that i love is that in Old Bruges, every restaurant has a brewery (as i recall), so i cannot name them.

Jump the pond, come to Quebec and Quebec city, and you have a huge French and Belgian communities, ready to show us their "savoir faire", and Quebequers have learn a few tricks as well, so here are some of the beauties of this corner:

Maudite! My fave... I also recommend most from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel. Cant always get it out west, but very nice beer!

Maudite! My fave... I also recommend most from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel. Cant always get it out west, but very nice beer!

I learned to prepare a roastbeef with mushrooms and Blanche de Chambly...holy cow, the house smells great for hours!

Archived