Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Jeff Ament 12 string bass on Oz ebay

I think I played that bass years ago on 48th St.

Wasn't there something odd with the neck on that one?

MC2?

Not sure. I think those strings date back to the Pre-Cambrian...

That listing is "interesting.....because I OWNED the one that was in Rudy's on 48th St in NYC for years (the one you guys are referring to above) and it is strange Rudy's would have had two, since they said the one I got had been there quite awhile. I bought it directly from Rudy's after going in to play it and have photos of me and HFC member Inspector 12 at the store. I'd gone in to play it in person because there had been longtime rumors about it having a bad neck but that turned out to be total BS. it had one of the best playing B12A necks I've run across.

Also, the one in Rudy's had a pao ferro fingerboard and dot inlays with the textured matte black finish....not the ebony board with two boomerangs like the one in the listing. So...this seller would have bought his before I got mine. I wonder if the SN#s confirm that? I have to look.

THAT bass that I owned is actually with Jeff Ament...I sold it to him a few years back....right in the middle of when he got mugged in Atlanta, outside the studio PJ was recording at.

I also still have another.Ament 12 that does have the ebony fingerboard and two boomers. Plus there was one for sale in the UK in the 2000's ...and Kelly LeMieux had a dotneck one....so that pretty much accounts for most of them that we're made.

That makes sense then, Jon. The one I played had intonation issues, and I very well remember posting something about that. When you said that you played/purchased it and it was fine, that had me puzzled. I recall somebody else mentioning that the bass they played at Rudy's had some issues too after my experience, so who knows? My mind's eye recollection also doesn't remember a lighter board.

It appears that maybe there WERE two! ;)

Archived