Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'75 BC Rich Seagull Hookpoint - SOLD

I've kicked around selling this for at least 10 years. Every time i clean it up and take pics to put it up for sale, i play it, then decide against selling. Bottom line, this is a good one, but i simply do not play it enough - it needs to go to someone who will. $1400 shipped in con US. Outside of Con US, contact me, we'll need to discuss shipping prices.

The Good:

All original except for the frets. Frets were redone about 3 years ago at Elderly music in Lansing. Very minimal wear on the frets. All electronics work (phase, coil tap, boost, varitone). Few dingers as expected for a guitar this old, but no cracks or repairs. Even the pickguard is fully intact (most of these i've seen have tips broken off of the pickguards...) Appears to be all mahogany based on the chips in the paint. Nice FAT neck (around a full inch) - if you like shreddie-thin necks, yer not gunna like this one. Fretboard has 0 radius - completely flat like a classical guitar. Makes this guitar a dream for playing slide and also for making uber-long string bends. (i can bend a full fourth easily at the twelvth fret...) The Guild pups sound just as they should. This is an early 75 model (made in April) - still has the recessed cover plates and the hookpoint.

The Bad:

Serial number has a "2" marked under it. I can only assume that means it is a "second". I have seen a few black Seagulls that were marked this way (and have seen others that have not been. FWIW - i've never seen a natural Seagull with a 2.) There are a number of dings pictured below. The case is original (hard to find...), but has a replacement hinge and one latch is broken. Still works and holds the guitar. It also has a bit of an odor to it. (The odor has *always* been there, and i've had this guitar for almost 30 years...)

The Pics:

I have more pics if wanted.

Seagull-003.jpg

Glamor shot. No flash...

Seagull-004.jpg

IMFO - Coolest. Headstock. Ever...

Seagull-006.jpg

Neck-through (obviously) - exceptional access to upper frets:

Seagull-007.jpg

Note the "2" under the SN. Note - the 6 digit serial numbers were the last digit of the year as the first digit, and the next two digits were the month. This is an April of '75 guitar. This changed when they went to 5 digit SNs, but i won't bore you... :)

Seagull-008.jpg

Again, no flash. Original Guild pups - pickguard is fully intact:

Seagull-010.jpg

Seagull-012.jpg

Snowflake inlays:

Seagull-014.jpg

A bit of worming on the back, but not through the paint. Note the chips at the edge of the control cover.

Seagull-013.jpg

Original buttons, but one is discolored. Note the chip:

Seagull-015.jpg

More to follow...

Couple more - i don't have pics of the case yet - i'll get those up later...

Seagull-017.jpg

Dinger on back of the neck. Not a big one - About an inch to the right of the reflection of the flash. I'm pretty picky about the back of the guitar neck, and i don't notice it when playing:

Seagull-020.jpg

Some pics of the case:

SeagullCase-000.jpg

Clean inside (except for the odor - if i get a chance to get to the auto store, i'll get a bottle of Ozium and try that on it...)

SeagullCase-001.jpg

Broken latch:

SeagullCase-002.jpg

Replaced hinge:

SeagullCase-003.jpg

That's beautiful.

And considering the age, it's in amazing condition.

There's nothing factory 2nd. about that guitar.

It probably has another meaning to the 2.

The only company I can think of that used a "2" to denote a factory second, is Gibson.

That's beautiful.

And considering the age, it's in amazing condition.

There's nothing factory 2nd. about that guitar.

It probably has another meaning to the 2.

The only company I can think of that used a "2" to denote a factory second, is Gibson.

I agree - BC Rich wasn't churning out guitars fast enough back then to have something like a factory second. I'd think that they'd just fix any issues before getting it out the door - I would think they were moving single digits or low double digits a month at that point back then, at best.

There has to be a BC Rich Forum or something like that where these mysteries could be solved! :)

I wanted this one in the worst way but I have come to the sad realization that I just can't own them all :(

Must've been a tough one to let go. Congrats to the new owner!

I'm sure I'll sell it at some point

DB:

Sounds like Mitch E. would take it off your hands!

I'm a member there, but haven't really participated much as of late. Preferred to sell it here if i could. Which i did. :)

Lot of *very* knowledgeable folks there, assuming they're still around.

I'm a member there, but haven't really participated much as of late. Preferred to sell it here if i could. Which i did. :)

Lot of *very* knowledgeable folks there, assuming they're still around.

It seems SOMETHING happened over there about a year ago where a lot of the regulars disappeared. I don't know what happened at all, but certainly miss the discussions. Even the FS section has crickets chirping half the time. :(

DB:

Not trying to unload it yet :P I'm excited about this one.

Do you have regrets?

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/57406-1976-bc-rich-seagull-2/?hl=seagull

Just curious.

I think you or veatch posted about one of these and it never left my head.

DB:

Not trying to unload it yet :P I'm excited about this one.

Do you have regrets?

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/57406-1976-bc-rich-seagull-2/?hl=seagull

Just curious.

I think you or veatch posted about one of these and it never left my head.

No because I have this Japan made BC Rico... also very rare

Rico013.jpg

Archived