Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite bands you'd never admit to

I was possibly way into Grand Funk and the Doobie Brothers. May even have had the posters but I'll never admit that. Before them I might have been into Tommy James and Shondells but I'd never admit that either.

and The Monkees - so I must really have issues.

But no posters. That's just wrong.

I was a Monkees fan back in the day (and still am) but I always knew it wasn't Michael Nesmith playing those guitar parts...all the guitars on their first two albums were done by a combination of Billy Strange, Howard Roberts, Al Casey, Jerry Cole, Louie Shelton, Glen Campbell, Mike Deasy, Tommy Tedesco, Bill Pitman, and Barney Kessel...part of what was then known as "The Wrecking Crew."

I think I still have the fold-out poster that came inside Grand Funk Railroad's "Live Album." Not wrong for me having the poster...I saw them in concert on that tour.

I was possibly way into Grand Funk and the Doobie Brothers. May even have had the posters but I'll never admit that. Before them I might have been into Tommy James and Shondells but I'd never admit that either.

You and my best friend must be about the same age. I'd never heard most of the songs he wanted me to play on guitar!

Personally, since I have no shame, I don't have to worry about any bands I've liked. My wife(on the other hand) is a Michael Stanley Band fan, thankfully she keeps that in the closet ;)

To many to even mention. But I won't lie about it either. A good song is a good song, period.

I'll stop short of calling them a favorite, but I have no qualms about admitting that I like almost all of Loverboy's material.

Loverboy had a weird place in rock and roll. They had the 14 year old girls screaming at their shows because of Mike Reno at the same time the rockers were getting into the whole band.

I got a lot of shit back in the 80's for liking Rod Stewart, Prince, and Duran Duran. My Iron Maiden-type mates didn't see the talent.

Rod Stewart was really good with Jeff Beck and The Faces. Later stuff was a little hit and miss for me. Prince was always interesting and had something for everyone. Duran Duran was a love them or hate them kind of band around here.

A lot of my friends didn't care for ELO, but they were/are one of my favorite bands. Time Tour '81 was my first concert ever; it was Halloween, Hall & Oates was the opening act, so there were LOTS of chicks, and half of them were dressed like Pat Benetar! B)

I have made no secret of the fact that I like Styx, After the Fire, and to those I will add that I really like the Xanadu soundtrack.

Archived