Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Talladega GAS

G Man

I must be starting to lose it. I've never had the good fortune to play a talladega, but I suddenly have an urge to sell a few pieces and start saving towards a tally pro, with the sustainblock, phatcats and 25.5" scale. Are these guitars really all that, or should I put the camera away and settle back into enjoying what I already have, which is admittedly more than I need already? They just look, on paper/internet at least, to be about perfect.

From experience with two.....One with the stock humbuckers, the other with a switch to Lollar Imperials......Both were great. The stock pups are very good----Better IMO than most stock Duncans. But I think the Lollars brought it to another level. Sorta into the Collings orbit.

Excellent guitars, either way. Not as easy to find as some of the other Hamers. I do like the changeup with the "Gibson" style controls, but the longer scale makes it all the more interesting.

You are thinking of switching out to phat cats? Or were you thinking more of the single coils in the "regular" Talladega?

The Tally series has several nice sets of bee's knees. The standard tally has the features you describe, sus block/double dee pups (a cool enhanced/variation on the fat cats) while the pro has a wraptail and buckers. also a earthen model lies in its own territory with a hog neck and neck shape similar to the pro. Cool knees all a round. Good luck and enjoy your illness.

The Tally Pro is my favorite Hamer guitar - aside from my custom Chap.

It is the bee's knees...

I couldn't agree more with Coolfeel's post - he's dead on.

After a buddy of mine played a Talladega Pro and LOVED IT. He could not stop raving about how nice it was and he's a fairly picky bastard ~ I was bit. After talking with some other guitar friends about it, I found out how few of the Talladega Pro's Hamer really made, I decided to buy one.

Relying some on my buddies crazed, GAS lust for it and Hamer's reputation of making kick-ass guitars, I took a decent risk and bought my Talladega Pro (Washed Iced Tea) brand new from Willcutt without having ever played one. It was one of just a couple of Talladega Pro's they had in that huge factory purchase from Hamer. It's stunningly beautiful and immaculately well made, mild V neck - I just stared at it for quite a while before I played it. I didn't have any issues paying what I did for it brand new and Willcutt's folks are exceptionally good people to work with and they truly know their stuff.

In short, YES, it plays unbelievably well and exceeded all of my expectations. So keep your camera out ~ if you can find one, I'd highly recommend it.

I found the link to the Willcutt website for it:

http://willcuttguitars.com/the-last-hamer-guitars/sold-hamer-guitars/hamer-talladega-pro-washed-iced-tea-408

First of all, Talladegas are ireplaceable. 2nd, if you want to go Phat Cats you might better want to lookout for the classic Talladega. Either way, you are up to buy a keeper.

My next Hamer will be a Talladega.

That's a great decision! B)

I really like both of my Tally Pros; so much so, that Jol is building another for me. The only thing I do not care for is neck binding (on any guitar) as it negatively affects my playing - more than likely due to bad technique on my part, but I digress..

That said, I think I will look for a standard Tally or maybe look to trade one of my Pro's for one. I wonder if there is anyone on the board who has a standard Tally they are wanting to part with?

I really like both of my Tally Pros; so much so, that Jol is building another for me. The only thing I do not care for is neck binding (on any guitar) as it negatively affects my playing - more than likely due to bad technique on my part, but I digress..

That said, I think I will look for a standard Tally or maybe look to trade one of my Pro's for one. I wonder if there is anyone on the board who has a standard Tally they are wanting to part with?

PROBABLY not, but it would not hurt to see some pictures.......

The Tally Pro I just picked up from Chris is in Jazzburst - not sure there are too many out there in this color, and it has an awesome flame top on it - could almost pass for "Ultimate" grade! It's pretty damn impressive looking and playing. Don't have any pics of it yet though...

I love the look of the "ordinary" Talladega, with the DD pups and the simpler features. Buying one is not a priority at this time, but I still have a Tally in my wish-list -or "wishlust", if you prefer. :)

There's also another Hamer model that triggers my GAS big time: the Monaco III Korina. Every time I see a picture of one, I just get stunned -or "stoned", if you prefer. :)

I love the look of the "ordinary" Talladega, with the DD pups and the simpler features. Buying one is not a priority at this time, but I still have a Tally in my wish-list -or "wishlust", if you prefer. :)

There's also another Hamer model that triggers my GAS big time: the Monaco III Korina. Every time I see a picture of one, I just get stunned -or "stoned", if you prefer. :)

I played an almost dead mint Monaco III (non-korina) for a fellow HFCer here in Charlotte. It was priced at $1100 if I remember correctly. That guitar sounded better than any other Hamer I have played. Killer tone. If I had not told the fellow HFCer I was going to help them with the purchase and shipping (seller was only interested in a local sale) that guitar would have been mine. I am sure the Korina is in a league of it's own...

sorry for the thread hijack...

The Talladega has Custom Double D single coils by Duncan in it. The Talladega Pro has Duncan Antiquities in it. The roll of the board on the Talladega makes it comfy to play. The Talladega is a little sharper. We should have made a Talladega Pro with no binding on the board. I like the Talladega. The only thing that drives me nuts, is that the volume difference between the Double D's is so great, that you have to bury the neck pickup and raise the bridge up near the strings . It looks fucking ridiculous.

Bm

I like the sound of those Double Ds.....Got an extra pair and stuck them in a mahogany Vector. Good change-up from the "norm.

I like the sound of those Double Ds.....Got an extra pair and stuck them in a mahogany Vector. Good change-up from the "norm.

^This is it, really. If I had had a spare mahogany Vector, I would have never made the mistake of selling my DDs. You know the saying "you don't sell tone", right?

I do love the sound of the Double Ds, but don't play my Tally more because of the volume issue.

I had thought I'd eventually get around to putting a humbucker in the bridge.

I reckon I'll try the JackAss fix this weekend and see how it sounds.

Acoustically, it's by far my favorite Hamer of all I've owned.

Talladegas are fun!

IMG_0299.jpg

That's a whole lot of Talladegas. Are the humbucker pickups any different?

Archived