Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Final run of Standards, any interest ?

RichRS6

Speaking of limited runs (no affiliation):

http://davesguitar.com/products/rickenbacker/4004l-laredo-bass/

If it's one thing Ricks have, it's resale value, or collector value, or both...basically they're like no other guitar brand out there as far as that's concerned, IMO. Even for a Laredo bass. Of course, the history of musicians and artists using their instruments doesn't hurt. Which apparently leads to their business model in that they can get away with a order backlog of at least a year on practically any and all instruments they make, and won't even think of doing a custom order unless you're famous and they like you. <_<

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get all excited, this is purely a theoretical exercise but who knows, if enough of us want one then perhaps we could make a good case to FMIC.

I would hope for 20+ orders.

To make it simpler (and more likely to get accepted) just B&C Standards as close (as possible) to the original specs, solid colours and sunburst finishes no weird stuff, lefties or basses (sorry lefties and bass players).

Anyone here want to give me some help in contacting the right people at the factory ?

I would be in for 2.

Fender is all about $. If 30-35 serious orders came in they would start up..................................................or maybe not. Sorry strike that , reverse it.

Bm

Fender is all about $. If 30-35 serious orders came in they would start up..................................................or maybe not. Sorry strike that , reverse it.

Bm

yeah they would.

I worked the the "other" monster...

Both, still monsters ;)

Both Monsters want money.

where's the thread with the GCS limited run Explorers that look like a 4 digit?

A portal has been opened.

A void fullfilled.

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard the request and reasoning for a standard, but I would be remiss if I didn't put my vote behind either a Korina Artist, Monaco or Californian. I'm Also open to other models but a Standard is not for me. Could we take a tally of requests, consolidate and whatever has a decent order quantity take those proposal to them? I'm dreaming here. Anyone..Anyone?

Seems to me that a one-shot reissue of the '79 spec Standard would be a no-brainer.

It might be a bit much to tool-up & build 100 of them (like the korina run), but 50 would sell.

Allow for a couple of neck profile & finish options and watch them sell out in no time...

Subscribed!

I have heard the request and reasoning for a standard, but I would be remiss if I didn't put my vote behind either a Korina Artist, Monaco or Californian. I'm Also open to other models but a Standard is not for me. Could we take a tally of requests, consolidate and whatever has a decent order quantity take those proposal to them? I'm dreaming here. Anyone..Anyone?

^This has to me a higher probability of success.

We send all our own specs to someone here to have, let's say, a list of 50 individual custom pre-specs. Then, we try to agree to a common set of specs per model, trying to come out with X Standards built this way, Y Vectors built that way, Z Calis built this other way... and so on.

If FMIC sees there's a bunch of real people willing to place Hamer custom orders right now, that might work.

As of the Standards go, a natural mahogany or korina run with the skinny headstock, whatever inlays we'd agree on, no binding, either pickguarded or not, vintage neck profile, maybe sustainblocked... I'd be in! :)

I've been trying not to think about this as it was driving me nuts that something so obvious hadn't been planned.

The question about where they could be built from Mirorrimij made me think and the best answer I can come up with would be by the Hamer team in the Guild custom shop.

To me there's no reason why this wouldn't be possible, all the tooling required is (probably) there already and if not it could be.

I have no idea about how far from each other these two facilities are so it may not be the most practical of ideas.

It would be preferable that (if this was possible) the instruments were actually made by the Hamer Technicians

The thing is it's not impossible.

Guild has a custom shop.

There is a demand for the product.

The Hamer technicians are still there.

50 of these guitars would sell no problem at $4000, there must be at least a 50% profit margin on them so Fender would be looking a $100,000 profit.

OK so it's not a huge amount given the turnover of a large company like Fender but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Edited to add.

I still think the best way to get this to happen would be to stick to 1 model the one it all began with the Standard.

And speaking of redheads...

SerenaHamer.jpg

Thanks BCRGreg!!!

-------------------------

Edited to add:

Pic posted in response to a post by mirrorimij, where he called Hamer the "redheaded stepchild" of FMIC.

That post (for whatever reason) has been deleted.

Guys - this is a pipe dream.

Let it go.

Honestly, there is no way they would sell 50 at $4k a pop either.

There are still dealers with 5-6 year old new stock/custom guitars that they can't sell for $2,500 each.

If FMIC ever decides to revive Hamer production, you can bet it will be 100% on their terms, and not based on requests organized here.

I'd love an accurate 4-Digit Standard reissue as much as anybody here, but the steep annual/semi-annual price hikes for the last decade and a half took those guitars well out of my reach several years ago.

It is what it is. I've been to New Hartford several times over the last couple of years. It is totally different up there now, and unless FMIC decides to reinstate the Hamer side of things. It's not a simple matter of just building Hamers instead of Guilds and Ovations. The processes are completely different, and the shop space and equipment just isn't there to start up a new production run right now.

A select team of Hamer commandos, sneaking into Fender HQ and occupying the appropriate offices of the highest of mucky-mucks, with a list of demands that MUST be met (Cali's, '79-spec Standards and a semi-hollow Koa Mirage with a Wenge neck for my thinking this brilliant scheme up) or else we'll start........well, something appropriately heinous. Think Chazz, Rex, and Pip from "Airheads".

Might be our only chance at this point?

I think that plan has as much chance of success as any! :D

Guys - this is a pipe dream.

Let it go.

Pipe dream, probably? Chance of success, minimal. However, if we can come up with a PO of 25-50 guitars of simple specs it would definately get some consideration from Fender. If the answer is no, then the answer is no. Plus, how do we know that there is not at least one exececutive even throwing the idea of reviving Hamer? An order like that would be instantly profitable and would be a no brainer if they were even considering testing the water. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This is honestly a non starter.

If it is going to happen, it will be when and if FMIC decides to do it, and whatever is done, will be 100% on their terms. It will cost them considerable time and money to get the Hamer side of things back up and running - that is not an investment the bean counters are going to entertain at this point.

What you aren't seeming to understand is that the Hamer operation has been whittled down to pretty much nothing, and the overwhelming focus up there is on Guild Acoustic production. The build process or those is TOTALLY different than what you'd need to do to build Hamers, and not only that, the time and resources are dedicated for Guild output. The Hamer guys simply have too many demands for Guild operations that Hamer production, even a limited run, simply isn't very realistic.

Believe me, I'd love to see new Hamers being made again more than pretty much anything. You guys aren't understanding that a single run of guitars just won't get even the slightest whiff of interest from Corporate. That would cost more than they'd make, even if they would charge a ridiculously high price per unit.

We may see new Hamer USA production again someday, but not any time in the near future as I see it.

Everybody here had the opportunity to buy these over the last five years, and could have gotten a 4-digit Reissue ordered and built less than a year ago. The fact that only a handful of people stepped up says more than all of these speculation threads put together.

I really like the way Carfish thinks - really. Hell, I would even volunteer to run pointman on that G-Team - if I thought it had the slightest prayer of working and would throw cash money down to back it up - but I can assure you it doesn't and won't.

The ordering processes for anything Hamer ceased to exist about a year or so ago - they are truly winding the Hamer production part down. It honestly sucks a big one and is painful to watch, but the change has already taken effect and - from what I've been told - it is a substantially different environment now.

The advice someone posted a few weeks back about buying up all the nice to mint USA Hamers you really want, that are still out there, and then love the hell out of them is about the only viable option I can see here.

New Hamer orders anytime in the near future from this team of luthiers and this setup though? NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

New Hamer orders anytime in the near future from this team of luthiers and this setup though? NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

And when the hands who have been responsible for all of our masterpieces are scattered to the wind, Hamer ceases to exist as anything other than a name.........

Remember, the reason these guitars are so stellar is because of the PEOPLE who have maintained the processes and high standards over all these years. If Fender re-boots the brand after a decade or so and none of the same hands are on board, I see little chance that the guitars that would be bearing the Hamer name would be in the same galaxy as what we are accustomed to.

I don't know any of the names or faces, but "Hamer" is a bunch of ARTISTS toiling under a common banner. Again, once they cease to do so, the brand is "dead" as far as I'm concerned.

I've been trying not to think about this as it was driving me nuts that something so obvious hadn't been planned.

The question about where they could be built from Mirorrimij made me think and the best answer I can come up with would be by the Hamer team in the Guild custom shop.

To me there's no reason why this wouldn't be possible, all the tooling required is (probably) there already and if not it could be.

I have no idea about how far from each other these two facilities are so it may not be the most practical of ideas.

It would be preferable that (if this was possible) the instruments were actually made by the Hamer Technicians

The thing is it's not impossible.

Guild has a custom shop.

And, do tell, exactly where the custom shop is?

You want a new guitar built to the exacting standards of Hamer? Easy...

Call Jol. He could whip up a run of Standards for the five (being generous) people here who would actually pony up for it.

Archived