Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar Center having another sale.

They're having a 72 hour Green Tag sale this weekend.......advert says at least 50% off on tagged items.

"I could take a shit in a box and put a guarantee on it and you'd have a guaranteed piece of shit."

They have so many sales, it's all BS. About 2 years ago I heard an ad on the radio, "up to 80% off used gear, all used gear on sale!!!!! blah blah blah!!!!" I went in, and nobody in the store knew anything about it. I happened to be going near another GC, so I went in there too, nobody knew anything about a used gear sale.

I've got 3 within a 45 minute circle.

That's THREE reasons not to go.

They have so many sales, it's all BS.

It works, though. All marketing is cheesy bullshit if you think about it, but a lot of people respond to cheesy bullshit.

When I worked at Guitar Center they actually switched voice-over guys for their radio spots because the existing guy wanted a big bump in salary. The new guy's voice wasn't nearly as boomy or robust, and sales numbers actually went in the tank for a few months! They paid the previous guy what he wanted and as far as I can tell he's been with them ever since.

I've turned down 3 management job offers from G.C.....They stand for everything I hate in this....well wait a minute...They "are" everything I hate in the music retail bizness and I basically told them so and all I got was this "deer in the headlights" stare......I'm sure some people are cool in that orginazation and I don't mean this in a bad way but....I don't see any difference of working at Guitar Center and having a "Mcjob"???

I do have one actual regret: About 7 or 8 years ago they were blowing out their Alembic basses, they had the most beautiful Elan (?) 5 string, list was supposedly $4500, on sale for $1199. After that one dissapeared, I think it showed up on bassnw.com for about $2300 used.

I've turned down 3 management job offers from G.C.....They stand for everything I hate in this....well wait a minute...They "are" everything I hate in the music retail bizness and I basically told them so and all I got was this "deer in the headlights" stare......I'm sure some people are cool in that orginazation and I don't mean this in a bad way but....I don't see any difference of working at Guitar Center and having a "Mcjob"???

You gotta be cut from a very specific piece of cloth to rise up in that company. But if you are, you can make some SERIOUS bank with them.

Paul Hamer was with them for a while. His brother is still there and some of the limited run Gibson stuff is his area.

:huh:

One of them shitholes is opening up here in El Paso 12 Jan 06... I will NEVER set foot in that place .. let alone the parking lot... junk junk and more 2nd junk... got anything that the finish HASNT been destroyed by your juvi customers??? NO!

GC kinda has that walmart mentality.. lets put one up everywhere and destroy the local business HELLO!!! towns and cities make MORE revenue fro mthe little guy that 1 big guy....... buncha tards...they wont get a diem of my money..EVER

Sir Douglas :)

Randy ;)

I go to the GC for one thing only. USED gear. You never know what you will see or how over priced or under priced things go for. Its a crap shoot. I have seen some really cool Hamers go thru the one in Indy.

They had a Hill Firebird in there a few months back for 499. It was a very nice guitar. I kick myself for not grabbing onto that one.

I'm half and half on Guitar Center.

For new stuff, they can keep it. I'm not interested in much.

Used stuff. I hit every big sale they have and pass through whenever I can, just to look at the used stuff. It's usually priced stoopid high, but sometimes it's stoopid cheap. My Hamer Eclipse came from there for $199. I bought it the same day that a 4 digit Standard had sold about an hour earlier for $199 as well. I grabbed a Marshall combo that sells used for $650 any day for $225, and all I had to do was change the fuseholder. For the good deals you have to be vigilant and patient.

You gotta be cut from a very specific piece of cloth to rise up in that company. But if you are, you can make some SERIOUS bank with them.

You mean like a car salesman? And we all know how much car salesmen are into cars!

You mean like a car salesman? And we all know how much car salesmen are into cars!

I've sold cars in the past...made real good money doing it but...did'nt like the stigma that goes along with it... :huh:

Well Seems like slamming GC is a regular sport around here. I'm not crazy about them but when it comes to strings and accesories you can't beat them. In my area it's all pretty much chain stores whether the local regional chain which was never all that good when it came to guitars or GC. I won't bash my local GC since they seem to be doing pretty well and have had a nice selection of guitars. nothing I would kill for but some nice LP's and a really nice 2004 Artist custom for 1200. They are what they are the 800 pound gorilla. But when it comes to a large selection of Mexi strats for 300 you can't beat them.

Well Seems like slamming GC is a regular sport around here. I'm not crazy about them but when it comes to strings and accesories you can't beat them. In my area it's all pretty much chain stores whether the local regional chain which was never all that good when it came to guitars or GC. I won't bash my local GC since they seem to be doing pretty well and have had a nice selection of guitars. nothing I would kill for but some nice LP's and a really nice 2004 Artist custom for 1200. They are what they are the 800 pound gorilla. But when it comes to a large selection of Mexi strats for 300 you can't beat them.

+1

And the store here beats the pants off Sam Ash...

I'm just basically sick of everybody and their brother and sister who really don't give a damn whether the little guy or mom and pop store lives or dies as long as they got whatever it is they wanted,paying as little as possible. sure...I like a good deal as well as the next guy but not at the cost of someone losing their business it's just getting ridiculous! I'll gladly spend more money at a mom and pop store but I know I'm in the minority because like I said....people in general really don't give a rats ass and will just go on to the next store after the old one has boarded up the window's and gone out of business because G.C. was selling it for $5.00 cheaper......pretty pathetic and yes!! Dumbass people will spend $10.00 in gas to save that $5.00 at G.C..... morons..........

Maybe all the bashing is taking effect?

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?c=gtrc

I'm sure the stockholders are pleased . . .

If it weren't for the volume mills selling volume, the high-end stuff would be totally unafordable for most people.

Standard progression:

Youth:

Down with capitalism and the corporate masters! Evil Evil Evil

Middle age:

What are you trying to tell me Hon? What??? You mean she's having SEX with that freak!!!

Old age:

Luckilly, I put a bunch of money in the market when it dipped in 2012, saved my bacon now that Social Security went bust . . . GO WALMART!!!

Let's see -- Guitar Center at 50 and change, forcast to go to the high 60's in a year, 18+ % growth rate, no real competitor that comes close:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=GTRC

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=gtrc&d=t

. . . (evil evil thoughts)

Don't be picking on Sam Ash.

Believe it or not I have very little beef with GC. Most of my rants come from having worked there and my first-hand experience with some of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but that goes on at any company. And it's REALLY hard to make a living there, but maybe that's their way of weeding out the chumps from those who get to dip into the pot of gold. I certainly didn't have what it takes. If I did, I'd have 14 years' seniority right now and would probably be quite wealthy. My store manager lived in a swank high-rise between the lake and Wrigley Field, and when I went to the GC headquarters in Cali I saw nothing but Mercedes in the parking lot.

I shop at the one closest to me in Hobart, Indiana quite often. A kid who used to play at the cafe all the time is some sort of manager there and gives me stupid-cheap deals on whatever I want. Not guitars or amps, though, as they have nothing that interests me. My recent purchases have been drum gear like heads and hardware for the kit I keep around for jams.

Archived