Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Screw "No Guitar Challenge" What Did You Get In 2013?

L2A3

1979 Black B&C Sunburst

1978 B&C Sunburst

Gibson Custom Authentic SG Custom

Robin Fakimba Flying V

Gibson Blonde ES-335

Giffin Valiant

Murkat Gary Moore Tribute Hamer

Dave Friedman Pedalboard

At Mars amp

CAE Wah

KTR Klon

Ian Anderson Pickups (3 sets)

I think that's it!

It was a Hamer first quarter. The Quilty Studio Custom arrived in January. The Trans Red Special came in a February trade for a Golden SSI. The Quilty Special Q/FM was a bargain priced sweet deal from March. No further G.A.S. acted upon in 2013 and none so far this year.

2005hsc24_zpsa78f6690.jpg

81hsp3_zpsb94e4a65.jpg

93hs15_zps26374c95.jpg

Catch and Release:

1. Monaco III
  2. Axis (The Penguin)
  3. The Red HectorP Newport (stopped by my house on its way to carfish7)

Kept:

1. Harmony vintage classical (one of the dearest gifts I have ever received)
  2. Richard Howell Classical
  3. Another Monaco III
  4. Laney VC30
  5. Zoom G5

So, I've got my Harmony, Howell, Monaco III, G5 and the Laney. I don't really need an amp, as I seem to use the G5 99% of the time. I couldn't refuse the Laney though since Rob was literally giving it away.

Bonus statement: There are exactly two guitars I would have to buy back if they presented themselves to me (and I don't think they ever will). Aside from those I'm set and won't be buying any more guitars.

Looks like lots of good stuff traded hands in 2013!

If I had come across a Rawhide Supreme and/or a Fakimba V I would have had one or two more in 2013!

Bloozguy and Shark if those ever become sale or trade fodder let me know (and Shark I think we are CFL neighbors so it would be an easy swap :) )

I just realized I did not buy any guitars in 2013. The only acquisitions were a 1949 Kay M-1 upright bass and a 1963 Fender Tremolux 2-10 cabinet (rough white tolex and wheat grille cloth) to match the '63 Tremolux head I've had for a few years. I must be slipping...

I just realized I did not buy any guitars in 2013. The only acquisitions were a 1949 Kay M-1 upright bass and a 1963 Fender Tremolux 2-10 cabinet (rough white tolex and wheat grille cloth) to match the '63 Tremolux head I've had for a few years. I must be slipping...

Well the first step is recognizing you have a problem and capturing it so early you still have 363 days to recover :)

If I had come across a Rawhide Supreme and/or a Fakimba V I would have had one or two more in 2013!

Bloozguy and Shark if those ever become sale or trade fodder let me know (and Shark I think we are CFL neighbors so it would be an easy swap :) )

My Fakimba Fleetwood is going up for sale today or tomorrow...

I had a good year. This year should also be good in terms of quality. Quantity will be way down. Planing on purchase retirement in 2015 :rolleyes:

Jason Smith Masterbuilt Tele

EM Talladega

EM Studio

Asher Ultratone Custom T Deluxe

Luttrell CO SS1

Forgot some stuff:

Matchless Avalon 30 combo

Swart SST, Head and cabinet

LA Sounds Stereo pedalboard

My Fakimba Fleetwood is going up for sale today or tomorrow...

PM sent - you should sell the Rawhide too :)

Leftover 2012 Am Std Strat RW board, Charcoal Frost.on blowout from Sam Ash.

Minty 2011 LP Jr P90 Special with ebony board, Alpine White, a CL find.

Also minty (seller said unplayed and I believe it), 2007 VOS CS Gibson SG Standard from a special run for GC, metal knob Grovers and no trem. Looks exactly like the 60 LP SG I had in high school. CL again.

2006 Lil Dawg 5E3 Tweed Deluxe 25W with a Maverick attenuator speaker and vintage tubes. Yup you guessed it, CL.

Forgot to add a bunch of cool pedals... I put together a "mad scientist" pedalboard that would be pretty impractical for anyone who actually had to haul it around and gig with it.

The coolest was a Z. Vex (Vexter) Wah Probe. Great sounding wah and the lack of a physical mechanism makes it a lot of fun to use. Have really enjoyed that pedal.

Lots of new stuff this year, but the highlights:

RSGuitarworks Rockabilly Jr,,,, totally sets itself apart tone wise from the rest of the harem, a rock/blues machine

Baker b3 Fire, three of them!!! (P90 and HB versions),,, easiest playing, most comfortable high end gits I've ever had.

Hamer Monaco,,, personalized with vintage Guild small humbuckers by Murkat, perfection!

G&L ASAT Super,,, another git that plays sooo easy, I put it up for sale because nothing else seems to be selling,,, I'm an idiot, I'm pulling this sale immediately.

Hamer Talladega,,, it's a Tally, 'nuff said.

Germino Classic 45,,, total game changer, I've been laboring under the misconception that Marshalls were for OD tones only, the cleans on this thing have changed my thinking entirely.

AxeFx II,,, mostly using this for effects and they are stellar. Easy connectivity for recording and setting up a stereo w/d/w,,, and with a PC in the music room it is beyond easy to tweak.

rockabilly6_zps5e8c65f0.jpg

_578_zpsbf1842b6.jpg

P1020268_zps6ff3105c.jpg

GeneBaker-Goldtop-7_zpsc9731c17.jpg

dang_dog_250_zps2c8ba1a7.gif

edit to add the new vintage 24x36 poster for the music room:

black_and_blue-1.jpg

Just one - a 2007 AVRI Jazzmaster with Lollars and a Mastery bridge.

attachicon.gifDSC_7174sm_zpscc8490c3.jpg

Talk about perfection. Great color for a Jazzmaster. Did you install the Lollars? I'm curious about the original pups vs the Lollars.

Thanks!

No, the Lollars(I've got the Vintage set) were in it when I got this one. Everything you read about them is true - especially the part about them being bright. Bright, but not harsh and thin like AVRI, IMO. More hifi. I like the tone of the neck pickup to be up full, but I like the bridge pickup best when the tone control is rolled back to around 7-8, so I'm thinking of modding the controls on my JM so I can set it up like that. I think the bridge on some 500k pots (or even 250k) instead of the 1M, and the neck on all 1M will get me closer to what I want to hear.

The neck pickup is as perfect of a pickup as you could ask for, but if the bridge had a couple more turns of wire I wouldn't complain. Still, when you roll the tone back and crank it through my Super Reverb, it flat-out twangs like nobody's business. Just not quite as round as a Tele bridge pickup. Both pickups take anything from mild overdrive to fuzz no problem.

When I'm playing around the house I tend to like them better with my SR vs my 66 BFDR, but when I've listened to some recordings of the band with me on the DR, what I think of being a bit too bright when practicing equals the right amount of "cut" through the mix in a small bar.

In short, I like 'em, especially that neck pickup, but some of the offerings from Novak look mighty nice, especially in the bridge department.

Just one - a 2007 AVRI Jazzmaster with Lollars and a Mastery bridge.

attachicon.gifDSC_7174sm_zpscc8490c3.jpg

Talk about perfection. Great color for a Jazzmaster. Did you install the Lollars? I'm curious about the original pups vs the Lollars.

Thanks!

No, the Lollars(I've got the Vintage set) were in it when I got this one. Everything you read about them is true - especially the part about them being bright. Bright, but not harsh and thin like AVRI, IMO. More hifi. I like the tone of the neck pickup to be up full, but I like the bridge pickup best when the tone control is rolled back to around 7-8, so I'm thinking of modding the controls on my JM so I can set it up like that. I think the bridge on some 500k pots (or even 250k) instead of the 1M, and the neck on all 1M will get me closer to what I want to hear.

The neck pickup is as perfect of a pickup as you could ask for, but if the bridge had a couple more turns of wire I wouldn't complain. Still, when you roll the tone back and crank it through my Super Reverb, it flat-out twangs like nobody's business. Just not quite as round as a Tele bridge pickup. Both pickups take anything from mild overdrive to fuzz no problem.

When I'm playing around the house I tend to like them better with my SR vs my 66 BFDR, but when I've listened to some recordings of the band with me on the DR, what I think of being a bit too bright when practicing equals the right amount of "cut" through the mix in a small bar.

In short, I like 'em, especially that neck pickup, but some of the offerings from Novak look mighty nice, especially in the bridge department.

I've got a '97 "Crafted In Japan" 1962 Reissue Jazzmaster with a Mastery bridge and Novak pickups. When I talked to Curtis he suggested I try a JM-V (vintage Jazzmaster spec) in the neck and a JM-90 (P-90 style built to fit under the Jazzmaster cover) in the bridge. He definitely steered me in the right direction! The neck has that great vintage Jazzmaster sound and the bridge has a real similar sound...but with balls!

He also told me that one of the reasons the reissues, both Japanese and American, sound a little thin is because their pickups are wound closer to the way a Strat pickup is wound...taller coils versus the big flat coils of the real Jazzmasters.

He also told me that one of the reasons the reissues, both Japanese and American, sound a little thin is because their pickups are wound closer to the way a Strat pickup is wound...taller coils versus the big flat coils of the real Jazzmasters.

That's not correct. AVRI pickups are made pretty much like the originals. MIJ/CIJ aren't, and are more like strat pickups in a JM cover.

That's not correct. AVRI pickups are made pretty much like the originals. MIJ/CIJ aren't, and are more like strat pickups in a JM cover.

Thanks. I stand corrected. I may have misunderstood Curtis when he was explaining all of that.

Archived