Limited # of solid color options only.

Dual P90 or Humbuckers as options.

Set neck.

2-piece Mahogany body.

Dots only.

Rosewood fretboard.

No binding.

Stadium sized logo only.

Optional Northfield USA, Newman 60 USA, or JackAss USA logo (builder dependent)

Other than lacking a plain flat top, you've just described every Hamer Studio ever made......

The most under-appreciated, yet sonically-dynamic model for cheap money. A guitar that can compete, head-to-head, with a Gibby LP and WIN. Used ones go ALL-DAY-LONG for sub-$1,000. Doesn't every Hamer fan have 2-3 already, though?

I guess for 200 bucks more in the final price you can save on the shipping back and forth, and focus more on the finish quality, right?

Dean are smart guys. There are reasons it is feasible to ship finish work half way around the world and back.

Of course! Dean also expends quite a bit in advertisement, so I don't think we're talking here about two things that are 100% comparable. Anyhow, one can see their idea and take it from there to somewhere else, you know?

BTW, I posted about the way Dean is doing this because I think it can be used as a source of inspiration, that's all. I never said I wanted Dean headstocks. I shared the link to those guitars because, to me, they can be used as an interesting reference/inspiration for the following three things:

1- The diversity of the designs.

2- The fact those guitars are USA-made.

3- The "working-man friendly" price point.

Just watched Cheap Trick/Budakhan 35th Anniversary show. Saw Rick's "hockey stick" Les Paul. Reinforced how much I dig that look. I'd buy the aforementioned cmatthes suggestion in a heartbeat...

• 1 month later...

I spoke with Jon Kammerer about this. He's willing/able to do a working man's guitar for about $1k.

Free options of fretboard wood, hardware color, inlay material, inlay shape, neck carve.

He's really resistant to changing the headstock, I tried to talk him into trying something new. Maybe if we get enough people interested, he'd do it.

So.

Slab body.

Wraparound or TOM or fixed strat-style bridge?

Bridge only pickup or B and N?

P-90 or Humbucker for pickup(s)?

He said mahogany is more difficult to finish, due to being more porous? But he'll do mahogany if you want it.

Other options: cherry, walnut, maple.

He'd do a mahogany w/ maple cap, but that might go above $1k. You'd have to ask him.

You get an extremely strong and extremely tight neck joint: aircraft aluminum screws going into aircraft aluminum sockets, not wood.

You get "blind tangs" on the frets: the inserted fretends doesn't extend to the edge of the fretboard, so you don't need binding but will never have the fret ends stick out.

Excellent craftmanship, excellent materials.

If you're interested, contact him here:

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/

I get no commission or any benefit from this recommendation.

I know this sounds....well

Our problem is that we want a guitar like this to add to our pile already. We would all be just fine if we only needed 1 guitar. We could probably afford about anything. We wouldn't need a concept guitar. But, hell, look at your man-cave. Is there ANYONE who has just one? We're just all pretty damn spoiled

Right now Reverend has some real nice working mans guitars, they are imports, they are on the expensive side of imports, but the ones I own and have played can compete with any big name brand "Gibson, Fender" type axe.

If they could be built in USA at the same price point and be as good as the Rev's, I would be onboard for a try.

Cool Beans

Gene

I heard the Reverends are built in the same factory as the Dusenbergs? At the reasonable prices of the Reverends and the not so reasonable Dusenberg prices I was surprised.

If you guys come out with a cool "workingman's guitar, I'd be interested. I like double cutaways.Good luck with it.

Is there ANYONE who has just one? We're just all pretty damn spoiled

I feel very fortunate to be able to have the amount of guitars I own. Even though I have worked very hard to get to this point in my life, for me personally, I am inclined to agree with you. I am spoiled. Playing guitar is my hobby only and for me GAS = (want > need). As far as "working man's guitar" goes I own two. A '93 P90 Special as well as a "94 Special FM. It took me a while to figure out why I found these so much fun to play. For me it is because they are not built to be fancy, they are built to be played. The quality of the materials and build goes a long way too, but to me they are "less IS more".

My latest idea would be a double-cut or Tally shape, all 'hog, HB in bridge, P90 or Mini-HB in neck (choice), Sustain Block, dots, no binding, 2 vol/1 tone, 3-way toggle, with an upgraded maple top option. I'm sure this same idea was proposed multiple times earlier. But, how about a no-finish, send straight to Stike, option???

Let's face it, there are a few options out there for a WMG. What is the most compelling thing about this one (for me at least) is the builder(s)...

Master Northfield, if you build these, I'll find a way to buy one.

Let's face it, there are a few options out there for a WMG. What is the most compelling thing about this one (for me at least) is the builder(s)...

Amen to that last part.

Amen to that last part.

^^This + a kajillion

No offense to Axl, Dean, Jon Krammerer, or anyone else who's had their brand dropped in this thread. I can go to GC and find a dozen or more serviceable guitars at the price-point we're talking about here, but that ain't the point.

My money is earmarked for something I could look at as a continuation of the Hamer legacy. Period.

No offense to Axl, Dean, Jon Krammerer, or anyone else who's had their brand dropped in this thread. I can go to GC and find a dozen or more serviceable guitars at the price-point we're talking about here, but that ain't the point.

My money is earmarked for something I could look at as a continuation of the Hamer legacy. Period.

Can't argue with that. Frankly, I pretty much agree. Nothing can replace the USA Hamers in my collection.

Amen to that last part.

^^This + a kajillion

HAMER!!!!

THIS.

I have no interest in buying a WMG from anyone other than the guys in CT. The Tally body style could work as McChris described. Reverse Steve Stevens headstock and it'd be perfect!

Archived