Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What is you favorite practice amp.

I read somewhere several years ago that many Metal guitarist's used small low wattage amp to record in the studio. I am assuming they are easier to contain, and you can turn them up to a sweat spot without having to blow the roof off. There was one particular amp but I have forgotten. Another is using these small amps as preamps, or like pedals. I know that the Fender Champ's overdrive is as good as any pedal I have ever used. Just a thought. This is probably common knowledge, I am no gear head.

It's been a while, but I was once an audio engineer. I mainly worked in mastering, but I did a bit of in studio work, as well. Much of the time, lower-powered guitar amps were preferred. There are a few reasons, including isolation, the concern of fatigue--especially on the occasion a guitarist does 73 takes of a solo--and, mostly being easier to get a sound which, coupled with mic placement, records well.

From what I hear from a few of the people I know who still regularly record, however, digital processors are now used at least as often as amps.

Thanks for the information. Kind of had a feeling that it would be easier to find a good sound, volume makes little difference.

I am unorthodox in that I output my amp (at ,05) directly to my soundcard rather than use the USB M-Audio chords, and then use a virtual amp to to sculpt the tiny signal. Not sure of the difference when using the M-Audio USB chord vs this, if anyone knows. You can emulate just about anything.

I can tell a lot of the new harder metal is using sample based programs like BFD, Some are just too mechanical and perfect. Just bought a used copy of BFD 2 and am eager to use. I have made hundreds of natural sounding drum tracks either tapping them out via qwerty or via a Yamaha Elec set as a trigger using the original BFD. Dynamic's go a long way in making these sound authentic imo.

When it was more convenient, practice was always done through the big amp. For practice through a small amp, my little Fender Pro Jr. is just right. It can get loud, it breaks up nicely, and it is the most portable amp in my collection.

Am I the only one here who only practices unplugged? At home I practice unplugged on on an acoustic guitar. Then for band rehearsals and gigs it's the Valvetech turned up good 'n' loud.

Practicing unplugged has hurt my playing. Without hearing the interaction with the amp, notes come out sloppy or the palm muting is all wrong. For someone who plays all the time that might not be a problem, but it is for me.

I play mostly unplugged in front of the TV. Everyone is glad I don't have it plugged in. When everyone is gone I practice mostly through a Vox Night Train that was modified my Jule. I had something else to say but I can't remember what that would have been.

I lucked up onto a Hughes & Kettner 25th anniversary Edition Tube 20 watt for $185 at the pawn shop. Snagged, but by layaway. This amp had the warmest sound I have ever played with. I know it's not top of the line, but it quickly showed me the difference between a small really good amp vs the the small new one's my local music store pushes.

I dislike that most low watt amps do not come with reverb anymore. Is the spring reverb fickle, and do most buyers even know what it is? With a little 'verb, I am contempt with just an amp and guitar. It covers up flaws and allows better flow playing. Seems like it would be standard.

Whatever's handy, and whatever I don't have to pull too much crap out of the closet to get at. :lol:

Practice amps having to be pulled out of the closet? We must be talking camper, not even single wide :)

Practice amp to me is the little amp you have set next to your bed or chair, to practice without hassle while you are watching TV or just wanting to burn some time ect. You just grab your, click on the power and lean back and play. When finished, turn off power, put guitar down

Mesa Mark V head into Recto vertical wide-body 2x12. I can sound like what I want to at pretty much any volume.

I also like the Roland Micro Cube amps. I've bought two over the years. They're currently with my 22- and 17-year old sons.

Mesa Mark V head into Recto vertical wide-body 2x12. I can sound like what I want to at pretty much any volume.

Agreed! Since most of the magic happens in the preamp, the Marks are the ultimate bedroom to stage amp.

Since I have a basement jam room, either my Deluxe Reverb, or my Super Reverb, is what I practice through.

same here, kinda (mesa mini rectifier, older mesa vertical 2x12). i use this for gigs and playing at home (photo as it sits in my kitchen).

technically, my "practice" amp (that i leave at wizard sleeves HQ) is a randall RG8040 40th annv 1x12 combo, a raspy solidstate metal monster, i've even used it on a few gigs. both it and the mesa 2x12 are loaded w/ my fave spkrs, eminence man-o-war's...

post-1131-0-84552000-1392073756_thumb.jp

I'm digging the Blackstar HT5... mine is a head, and I run it into a Mesa Thiele cab with a Weber Bluedog. RAWK!

I'm playing through a Blackstar HT5R combo amp backed up by a Boss ME-70 multi effects unit. I'm living in an apartment for the next 7-8 months, and I'm sure the neighbors hate me (5 watts is louder than I anticipated...)

Fender SuperChamp XD - but it's still too loud

MacBook Pro - plug the guitar into the USB port and away you go.

i have always used amp to soundcard direct line in as opposed to the USB's. My sound card has to have Hi-z on the input which I assume reduces noise and can handle a little wattage.

Sound wise, what is the difference? Do you still get the sound signal signature of the amp? For some reason I have always assumed it would no longer be there, similar to using a keyboard or drum trigger, more midi, but I am probably wrong. If you do get the color of the preamp and it's more easily contained, I would like to switch over to an M-Audio USB and get an external sound unit too.

Archived